Re-registering English Cars in France

I’m not sure why some are so down on Facebook groups, since some (including the one recommended by @Katiefleur ) are truly excellent. “Registering Vehicles in France” has some very good guide documents that explain the process in detail and accurate guidance will be offered. There is also a member who can help in the registration process at a reasonable price and fully understands the import process, unlike many of the other service providers.

https://www.douane.gouv.fr/service-en-ligne/ouverture?code_teleservice=ANNUAIRE_DES_SERVICES_DOUANIERS&sid=&app=80

Hi Mat… Finally going to give the Bordeaux a try now we have a moving in date… I note from the Douanes website that there are two in Bordeaux… out of interest, which one did you go to? Many thanks. Jane

I went to the one at Mérignac as I had a better exchange of email with them.

The office is located here:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/AZH29ojjeE5kVRpR9

You can park where the HGVs are behind it.

Thank you Mat, have just emailed them… Wish me luck… !!

1 Like

oh, and one more thing… we have to do two cars… is it necessary to have your car physically there?

I was told I had to have the car there - but they didnt look at it.

Thanks Mat - we’ll take two cars then, just in case… So grateful for your help…

Jane

1 Like

I would be tempted to contact them by email to check what is needed and possibly arrange an appointment.

Yes, I did that this afternoon and asked that very question - did they take long to reply to you? Really keen to stop driving around on UK number plates!!

Replied within a day

Well I thought you all deserved an update - especially Mat…! As suggested Bordeaux Douanes were SO helpful by email, replied immediately… They required lots of documents for two cars - took ages as the files were always to big to send etc… but finally got there… and then… Lo and behold, they said the two 846a’s were ready to be collected within 24 hours… They would post them but would accept no responsibility if they went missing… So me and better half have just go back from a 5 hour round trip clutching our 846a’s… Couldnt be happier. so a big thank you to all that have helped… I shall let you all have a couple of days off before asking for help with the ANTS site - can make absolutely head nor tail of it… but that’s for another day… Thank you…

6 Likes

Excellent, good result.

I have a question with regards to that, we are in the same position. We’re debating selling my much loved 18 year old LR for scrap. She’s been mine for the last six years,and has been standing in the field since 2020. I am now debating whether it is still feasible to get her registered here, and I know about the QF, done it for the other two, but what was actually needed? I have heard no end of horror stories about taking her to Paris for an MOT and all kinds of things. I paid £3k for her in 2017. Got all the paperwork here. Currently registered in the UK at our son’s address.

You don’t need one any more, instead a 846A from Douanes.

Do you have a certificate of conformity? If you have that then it’s relatively easy and you can do the contrôle technique anywhere.

I found that I needed to have the CoC issued by Mazda France, the one from Mazda UK was rejected. Mazda France needed evidence that I had fitted LHD headlights.

See this post:

Yes, CoC from Jaguar Land rover France, they’re not cheap though €240.

If the car is “a runner” I’d suggest it goes back to UK for scrapping… surely the least outlay??

Take a moment to do the sums…
Having bought it for £3k you now must pay for French Controle Technique, the “officially” Importing document, the French Immatriculation (CG) itself …plus the new French Plates… presumably you’re already paying French Insurance (if not, that’s an extra outlay…)

just a thought… who’s name is it registered with UK ?? (you’ve said it’s a UK address…)

anyway… set that lot against what you might get back if sold in France to the official Scrap-Merchant.

best of luck whichever route you choose…

If it’s been standing since 2020 then it won’t have an MOT so couldn’t be driven anywhere and would need to go back to the UK on a trailer. Similarly, it would need to be trailered to the contrôle technique.

It’s probably worth checking the cost to register as it’s likely to fall foul of the ‘weight’ tax and that can get quite expensive.

There’s a simulator here and it’s likely to be in the thousands.

1 Like