Reaching retirement age in May - Advice please on applying for French and UK Pension

Advice please,

My OH reaches retirement age in May. He has received the required forms from the UK which he has duly filled in. The last paragraph however says that if he is working in France: he registered to work here in 2006 and a has a siret number, he must take all the forms to MSA,(hes registered as a Jardinage) and claim his pension via the French system. Has anyone else had experience of this? and if so, can you please advice me on how to go about claiming.

Many thanks in advance!

Thanks Michael I have sent a friends request so that I can email you.

Warmest regards

Rosemary

Thank you everybody for your valuable advice. Very much appreciated. OH will be visiting MSA next week. Fingers crossed, it all goes smoothly.................

Rosemary

Hi Rosemary.

I am in the same situation as your husband, with my retirement one month after, i also am a member of the MSA.

I am now ready to proceed with my application after taking advise and reading other peoples experiences.

One thing is sticking in mind and that is the advise given to me by a fellow expat and that is, this is a one off GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to rid yourself of some of the french bureaucracy that the french do not have, do not let it go.

You can read into that how you want without me writing anymore.

You do not mention your health cover are the two not linked?

Please feel free to PM me if you feel the need to discuss.

Regards

Michael.

I get about the same from the UK but had I taken my German one at 60 would have between 500-600.If I can hold on until I am 70 and a few years beyond, then it will be (on the present figure) €800+. Not bad for 18 years contributions. I wonder what a full pension is? I'll ask a friend but keep quiet for fear of unleashing mass envy!

200 a month's not bad for 3 years,I worked 16 years in England and get 300 euros.

Hi Suzy,

I get my UK pension from UK paid direct to my French bank account. My Belgian pension comes from Belgium also into my French bank account. Although I only worked there for 3 years (and paid Social Security at 16%) I get a pension of 200€ a month. Pays the gas bill!!

Dear Rosemary,

Getting my pensions was a nightmare and took nearly a full year!

I have been a resident in France for the last 15 years and worked full-time here during all that time. 3 months prior to due-date to leave for retirement, I approached my local CRAM office .As french retirement amount is based on your full working life. They than contacted each of all the other countries I had worked for to get an official report on the required E210 form. Once received (this is what took the time), CRAM made their calculations and started payment.

All other countries within the EU was a very straightforward affair. On contact and subsequent exchange of tax liabilities, bank accounts etc, proceded with payment.

All private retirement pensions subscribed via employers in each country, also needed only a contact. Even the french one.

Beware of the CRAM though.They might hold things up. I hope they are not the main source of your pension.Good luck!

I had contributed in Germany for many years but since I was 'shared' between the UK and there it does not show up in the UK. I could have had my German pension at 60, because I was engaged in academic work where that age retirement was not yet raised, but (mad of me) deferred until 70. So I have UK basic and remain an AE, no problem at all.

Dick,does that mean you get your UK pension through Belgium?How come you get anything from Belgium if you worked only 3 yrs.

Hi Rosemary, I applied for my UK pension 6 years ago,and I now claim the french one.I've worked longer in France than in the UK.The people in Newcastle told me it wasnt possible to combine the two,yet you've been told to claim it all through the french system.I was hoping to add all the years together and get a decent pension,but I get a pittance from both countries.I'm a travailleur independant but Urssaf wont pay me anything as they say I didnt contribute.Noone seems to know anything about how Urssaf works,not even accountants.

When you claim your state pension you are required to apply for it in the last state in which you worked. I claimed mine from Belgium where I worked for three years. I now get a full UK pension plus a Belgian pension. He may have to relinquish his SIRET and formally declare his retirement to MSA.

Nope, mine started in October and I had nothing like that. I was simply informed, following something two years earlier, that it would start at date X and how often should it be paid into my account... I am an AE and still nominally working.