Recipes for Duck

As I live in SW France I thought I would start a discussion for Duck Recipes, please feel free to post your recipes..

I’m also down in the SW… and I love duck! Sadly, I’ll have to put that yummy sounding risotto recipe of yours to one side as I’m low carbing until I lose those kilos that have crept on over the last few years…

A couple of visiting Brit friends raved about a very simple dish that I made. There’s no real recipe (I just put it together on the fly) but here’s the gist:

Slice aiguillettes of duck fairly thinly, on the diagonal.
Put into a dish, season, pour over freshly squeezed orange juice.
Cover and bung in fridge for an hour or so.
Heat olive oil in wok, add duck (and a lsmidge of the marinade), stir fry briskly for a few minutes until still pink in the centre, or however you like it. (I usually pull one out and taste it… cook’s perks!).
Serve with a salad, French beans, pommes dauphinoises… or whatever takes your fancy.

Bon appétit.

I really miss Chinese Crispy Duck with Pancakes, no Marks and Spencers here !!!, but now, thanks to my online friend Sunflower, I can now make it in France. Here is the link to her fantastic blog and recipe http://sunflower-recipes.blogspot.com/2008/03/crispy-duck-with-pancakes.html

Going to make this today - thanks Karina! cx

This is a recipe I do quite often, It was given to me by an Italian friend of my mothers, when we visited her in Tuscany. It is a lovely way to use the duck breasts we have in SW France.

Risotto with Duck

400g of risotto rice
2 Duck breasts
4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 chopped onion
1 chopped carrot
1 chopped celery stick
1 Glass of white wine
1 L of stock
40 g of Butter
80g Grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper

1. Cut the duck breasts into bite size pieces, brown in a frying pan ( make sure they are still rare in the middle ), lift out and drain on kitchen paper.

2. The Duck breasts here produce loads of fat, so pour off excess fat ( for future use ) and leave some to to fry the onion, carrot and celery. Stir and after a few minutes add the chopped tomatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the duck breasts back to the pan.

3. Add Salt and freshly ground black pepper, pour in the white wine and cook on a low heat for half an hour.

4. Now add the rice, mix carefully and gradually add the stock, stirring as you go. this should take about 20 minutes. When cooked and the rice is soft, add the butter and grated Parmesan cheese, let it rest for 5 minutes and then serve…

Enjoy !!!