Registering a car in the uk, and others, onto french plates

Interesting!
I have never been asked to supply a copy of my CT or even been asked if it had one.
Not having a CT does not nullify your insurance although faults might affect the amount paid out in the event of a claim.
This is from https://www.lecomparateurassurance.com/103366-reponses-experts/107547-defaut-controle-technique-quels-risques-pour-assurance-auto
" En cas de défaut de contrôle technique pour votre véhicule, il y a des conséquences sur le plan pénal et sur le plan civil.

Les conséquences pénales sont indépendantes de la survenance ou non d’un accident. En cas de contrôle des autorités de police, votre responsabilité pénale est engagée et vous risquez une contravention de 4ème classe c’est-à-dire 135€ avec une immobilisation de votre véhicule jusqu’à la réalisation du contrôle.

Sur le plan civil , la responsabilité n’est engagée que lors de la survenance d’un accident. Le non-respect de la réglementation ne réduit pas à néant les effets du contrat d’assurance . En effet, l’article L211-1 du code des assurances instaure une responsabilité civile obligatoire pour les dommages causés aux tiers par l’auteur assuré. Ce principe permet de garantir la solvabilité de l’auteur du dommage à la victime car c’est l’assureur qui prend en charge le sinistre. C’est pourquoi l’assurance automobile est obligatoire.

Néanmoins, il existe des exclusions aux articles R211-10 et R211-11 du code des assurances pour lesquelles l’assureur ne prendra pas en charge le sinistre comme quand l’assuré n’avait pas la capacité réglementaire de conduire le véhicule (défaut de permis de conduire), quand l’assuré participe à des épreuves de course, etc…"

1 Like

We were asked for a copy of our CT when we registered onto French plates recently!

Yes, a CT or MOT less than 6 months old is one of the obligatory documents (for vehicles over 4 years old) required by ANTS.

I meant for our insurance company! They want us to send a copy of the CT

think you have…its not a custom built car, the friends concerned have just settled here and are trying to get French insurance to replace their Uk cover.
they are told unless they must provide confirmation the lights meet the standard required for ct (although the car is only six months old) or no insurance can be set up. The various agents are not requiring a CT as it under four years old just that it meets that standds for lights.

No they don’t… anyone asking for that is a fraud!

We only ask for a copy of the carte grise (or the V5 when it’s undergoing an import) :wink:

As @anon90504988 pointed out with the legal extract this is not legal (thanks Mark ;)). Just in case you didn’t see his comment he copy/pasted some text from the law which clearly says that “not being compliant with the law in regard to vehicle maintenance cannot void the insurance or prevent the insurance from working”… This is written black on white so there is no debate and from my personal experience we don’t even ask for that kind of stuff… like never, ever (and I’m editing like 500 car insurance policies per year… doing that for 5 years now)! :wink:

2 Likes

I got to FR on Mon 2nd and by a miracle my Air BnB becomes a full-on 12 month furnished tenancy tomorrow.

Now I join the car re-reg circus. I’ve been reading up on this here on SF and elsewhere till my head spins. The daunt-factor is immense.

The first thing that seems to be a spear tackle without a red card is that, writ large on their website, Peugeot UK are not issuing CoCs due to the virus/lockdown in UK.

What now?

You should/need to get it from Peugeot france

1 Like

also investigate the headlight issue, friends just got here are having to replace their uk lhd headlights to french rhd on six month old Toyota to satisfy insurance companies…tried three …at cost of €2000.
Not possible to buy on ebay and diy

No need to be downhearted… despite the horror stories you might hear… it is quite straight forward and need not cost a bomb.

@anon90504988 knows what’s what re Car Immatriculation…

yep…the process or re-reg is relatively painless…just need to be aware of possible unexpected costs.

Do you actually need one?
If you have the full TVV number by D.2. on your V5c you might not need one.

It is not an insurance company issue so I don’t get that at all!
Tell your friends to go to another insurance agent.

I have been looking into that. There’s an outfit in Berlin which does every part known to man for every vehicle. When I was trying to get my RHD camper van [Reno Master] reg to SP plates I got a pair of headlamps from them for +/- £110 delivered to UK. Needless to say they are not Bosch or Hella - those are glass not plakky and are about £350 each - but they would have done. As my auto-electrician pal says they are 10 mins each to fit, I might keep them for Europe- trips ex-UK.

The van reg thing fell through but I have checked the company for Peugeot 307 headlights and tail lights - they have them all at very reasonable cost.

Ebay has loads. A set of new rears for the 307 can be had for +/- 140€. Three screws and they’re out. With rears the problem for DIY fit is, of course, running the fog and reversing light cables across to the other side of the car. In my head I know how to do it. But faced with snipping a wire … :thinking:

If my local Peugeot garage will do the fitting with my supplied parts I will save loadsamoney. As they are about to take another 55€ off me for poor Peugeot engineering, to add to the 1000€ they had in the first two days after I got here, they may be amenable.

Mark, that would be brill. I bought the car the day before I left UK so V5 heading my way as we speak. I shall be on it like a J.R. on a rat…

I dunno Stella. I had a reputation, back in my location manager days, of being nerveless, bombproof - “while all around you are freaking out…” and all that. But once you’ve had a nip from The Black Dog, things are never the same.

This sort of thing doesn’t inspire confidence " Even the government have admitted in a parliamentary answer given in December 2019 that it does not work properly for vehicles being imported, stating: ’ Dans le cas d’importations ou de modifications, le système n’est pas adapté’." That’s the French Gov saying that.

But MarK has been very helpful already tho’ I have yet to get down to cases.

You should have the whole of the seller’s V5c - perhaps less the export notification slip. I hope that you have not applied for a V5c in your name with a french address? DVLA will not send one & a V5c does not have to be in your name - you have the bill of sale for that…
Without the COMPLETE V5c you will never be able to register your car in France.

Now that you have decided to make France your permanent home you need to start looking at these things from a french point of view.

The complete new V5 with a UK address is what I shall have, with export slip still attached. I was handed the ‘new owner’ tear-off from the old one, in the normal way. As is standard UK procedure, the seller sent off the rest with ‘my UK address’ in the ‘new owner’ box. The UK address has posted the V5 to me here.

I hope that ticks the right boxes, Mark?

At the time, I didn’t have a French address, only my ‘beach head’ AirBnB which, up until mere days ago, did not cut it as an address for CdS purposes, so I was ‘protected’ in a sense, from messing that bit up.