Registering a Jersey car

Hi , I would use these people. They have just registered two vehicles for me. Both of which were not straightforward and did a BRILLIANT job. Fast, courteous, responsive professional service!

I am about to write a post about them as they are now going to be our SF recommended service for car registration. And other services too!

https://www.fabfrenchinsurance.com/vehicle-registration/

That would all be down to the buyer.
They would need to contact FCA (Fiat France) for a certificate of conformity if you don’t already have one, & arrange a controle technique…

Nope, but I knew someone who did… and maybe he still does.

Hi Catharine
I would certainly endorse your recommendation.
Not personal experience but almost.
Good friends arrived here 30th December last year and now have all paperwork in place as residents.
They brought their camping car and set too with the registration process by paying someone to do it for them which dragged on for months and finished up with a letter from impot asking fo 30% of value.
They then turned to fabfrenceinsurance and they were brilliant. They turned what was a mess into a success, no 30%, got the QF and the camper is now fully France registered!
Obviously fabfrenceinsurance charge a fee which to some might seem steep but of course it depends on the complexity of the application but are friends were over the moon to get everything sorted.

2 Likes

This has been such a farce.
ANTs site crashed and stopped working months ago, just as I was paying for my cart Gris.

Before that, the Douanes service was that they had locked up and left for St Lo, no forwarding emails or phone calls from their office down in Granville, COVID to blame for this, apparently.

Online private services for Cart Gris didn’t know how to help a Jersey person.

Not knowing about the Douanes service being closed, I eventually went down to their office in Granville, remembering I’d not long come out of open heart surgery, only to find it closed down ( a year ago), with No sign for any help elsewhere.

Luck is a Lady, as I was driving out of the carpark, a woman stopped me and asked me if I was lost, I mean common!
Turns out she was an officer of the harbour department.
She invited me into her office that was some distance away immediately upon hearing my plight, phoned up St Lo and got the ball rolling.
I received my paperwork two days later, tax clearance.
Thank you beautiful Lady.

Received my plates yesterday, as I just gave up phoning and emailing ANTs for help, I instead sent a nice email outlining (to ANTs) all the issues I’d had with them, how long this had be going on, and just mentioned that I was seeking legal advice .

I received an email by return asking me to complete my application by paying, as they’d done 50 times or more before ( I kid you not), this time it worked :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

On to the insurance
AXA gave the best online quote of 150 EUR, but when in the office the price went up to 475 EUR!

Allianz is your best bet here, decent and honest.

Sorry for the long post.

did they explain why the increase?

You can always also try the @fabien link in the SF Insurance header above. We have a number of policies arranged through Fabien and always found him to decent and honest with complete explanations in good English about the policies he recommends. Often, he will offer a number of choices to consider with recommendations as to the benefits of each recommendation. That’s what a good broker should do!
Insurance isn’t cheap… there are policies which are seemingly less expensive of course, but you have to ask yourself why so cheap? What is not being included (or being excluded) to reduce the cost.
And no, before you ask… I don’t get a commission for recommending him :wink:

1 Like

No reason for the hike in price, As I have in writing 16 years no claims too.
All this for basic third party with no breakdown cover.
I wrote to AXA main online office, but never even got a response :thinking:
I have fully comp with breakdown now for 270.

Thx for the reply Graham

1 Like

I have found it important particularly with the cut-throat business of insurance, to be very wary of cheap deals…
Before being in contact with @fabien through SF, we were with a (then) very good insurance agent who had insured the French vehicle we purchased from a UK national returning to the UK. Sadly, some years later, this agent died and the replacement was in no way anywhere near as good. We had sought a quote from our bank. It was cheaper that the renewal notice we had received from our existing insurer so we went for it. When renewal time came round again, we found a significant increase in the price - the reason? What the bank had quoted was not a complete year - only for the remainder of the current year to December which we hadn’t noted - then the renewal was offered for a complete year (Jan to Dec) and was more expensive than the other policy would have been.
A lesson learnt.

1 Like

:thinking::person_facepalming: I feel your pain, it would seem that the insurance industry has earned it’s bad reputation.

Allianz in St James was a last minute call, I had an appointment with MMA, which was on the opposite side of the road as it turned out.
I thought as I was getting stupidity high quotes from all corners, I’d try and hedge my bets.
MMA was a good quote too I may add.
But the Guy in Allianz spoke perfect English.

1 Like