Reglo driving me barmy

Hi everyone,
I am getting frustrated with Reglo and I am looking around for a new sim.
I have a reglo mini sim and have had that for two years, no contract or ties, gewnnerally simple and no problem but they seem to delete my account in between recharges every time now, and I am tired of having to try to re-set the account. This most recent time they have spent weeks sending me messages that don’t make sense and I can’t get the account to work this time, and I am wondering if I can find a better deal.
I don’t have a landline or any tv or internet package that I can add a mobile to, and I am not keen on Orange because I have worked for so many people who have been driven mad by Orange. I have a UK sim as well, and both sims are in the dual sim phone, which is handy for my work. Any ideas for a new French Sim to marry my English one?

There are many options/offers around but you could look at Bouygues and their B & You sans engagement offer

Thanks, I will have a look.

Don’t forget that 100 Mo is the equiv of 100 Mb so much depends on how much use you intend to make use of the French Sim. That’s for data, and the calls and SMS are unlimited (within France) and without engagement but generally, you will need to set up a monthly debit to pay for it.

Sounds easier to pay by debit rather than trying to pay reglo through an account they delete all the time. I don’t use a lot of data, I don’t even make many calls, it is mainly so clients and the various authorities and agencies can contact me.

We have both Réglo & Bouygues (B&You) on similar tariffs of between 9.99 - 11.99 per month for unlimited calls, texts and 50gb data per month which is a huge amount. Both are just 30 day rolling contracts.

The huge amount of data is useful when our home Internet is having trouble as I can supply WiFi from my phone via hotspot.

I considered pay as you go but it seemed to be quite a faff and cost a bit also. Their smaller packages start from just 4.99 per month.

This is one thing I have found to be cheaper in France than UK.

1 Like

Sounds good. The reglo one doesn’t rely on a vanishing account does it?

It is a rolling contract so probably not.

I use Free.

1 Like

http://mobile.free.fr/fiche-forfait-2-euros.html

I use Free Mobile. SIM only, set up online, 2€ a month with inclusive calls &texts, including to UK landline numbers. No tie in and when we lost a phone, it was very easy to cancel the SIM online, order a new one, keeping the same number. No issues so far after 3 years. Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Free sounds interesting, I will check it out.

1 Like

Free or Leclerc’s equivalent tend to be the popular suggestions for someone who wants a low use mobile.

2 Likes

As others have said, the best packages depend on your usage. Also, depending on where you are you might prefer one of the underlying networks over the other. (I think there are only two networks at base - SFR and Orange - though happy to be corrected if someone knows better.) We get better reception at home on the SFR network for example.

We have our phones on Prixtel (where you can choose whether you want to be on the SFR or Orange network) and I pay 4.99€ a month without any lock-in for “Appels illimités depuis France, Europe et DOM, + Forfait Internet 10 Go”. However, you do have to watch out for the fact that if you call a UK number it bumps your rate up to 9.99€ for that month.

For our alarm, we have a Syma SIM, which costs us 1,90€ a month for “Appel : 2H en France et DOM + 2H depuis l’Europe + SMS : illimités en France et DOM et depuis l’Europe + Internet : 1 Go en France dont 700 Mo en Europe et DOM”. It’s on the Orange network, but that’s fine for the alarm because it only sends texts and has a good aerial!

1 Like

Thanks Matt, I am getting spoilt for choice now!
I tend to phone the UK only with my Uk sim so that won’t be a problem.
I haven’t made any decisions yet, I need to think. My main concern is trouble-free use, and Reglo were okay apart from deleting my account, so I need something paid by monthly debit.

We have Leclerc mobiles which we intended for emergency use only,
We didn’t envisage having them becoming our only 'phones due to losing our landline in November 2019 and, despite them promising to come to start last Monday, we have seen neither hide nor hair of Orange at all. They have eventually told us that there was a problem with a very old underground cable which was too far gone to repair and we are now waiting for the Prefecture to agree to new posts by the side of the road.
We have had to boost our expenditure on our mobiles whilst having to continue to pay for our non existent landline.
Orange offered SIMS for 4G, which we turned down as we have very patchy 4G coverage in our area.
Reading a letter from one of our neighbours the boxes which were offered broke down after 2 months anyway.
We are continuing to use a SIM card in the back of our router, which whilst not fast, at least is consistent.

Others have said there are plenty of non-contract providers about at Orange, Bouygtel and SFR etc. I realise it is a statement of the obvious but you need to go for the one that works where you need it to work. Free Bouygtel do not work at all anywhere near my home and the only operator that gives anything like a decent signal is SFR so I went with Red by SFR https://www.red-by-sfr.fr/

If I recall in these days of 4/5G, no single operator operates from a single mast as it was in the old days.
You set your mobile to achieve the best signal from whatever mast is “logs” to.

I have no technical knowledge of phones/masts/whatever… but I do see folk wandering around our village… looking disconsolately at their mobiles…

for many, under the huge oak tree is the best spot… and there is a low wall where folk can sit in comfort… :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

me, with my bog-standard Red SFR… I get a signal everywhere except in the library at the Mairie… :upside_down_face:

We are lucky to have a great signal here, my UK and French sims are on full signal, but having house sat all round the country and in many areas here in the norf, there are many places with a total dead signal, it is maddening if you are trying to run a business.