Reimbursement of medical costs

"Declare a médecin traitant": nominate your usual GP. Your GP should be able to give you a form, otherwise your social security centre. Complete the form stating which GP you wish to nominate as your usual one, then return the form to your social security organisation.

This system was set up a few years ago in an attempt to stop people going from GP to GP for the same condition.

Many thanks for that…ultimately the answer I was seeking! Thank you!

Jennifer,
Thanks for raising this discussion. My dilemma is that original application for C.V. was on basis of my potentially working. As not able to do so, I’ve had to re-apply, so interested to know what I will receive re-imbursement of, once I’m sorted!
Caz

Medecin traitant, GP.

Thanks Brian and Andrew.
I have had pancreatitis and my gall bladder removed. I have already been to Lyon for an endoscopy and will have another on Wednesday to put right one of the complications of this condition.
Three general anaesthetics in one month.

you're meant to declare a medecin traitant, if you don't you're riemboursed 1€ less, not a big deal but if you always use the same medecin then it's worth doing. mutuelle = top up insurance ;-)

Andrew. Thanks for that but could you possibly explain further what you mean by …if you have not declared him/her as your medecin traitant. Am confused! By mutuelle you mean top up insurance ??? Thanks

Courage, Jane ;-)

Jennifer, if the doctor is conventionné then yes your carte vitale will pay 70% of the 23€ fee less 1€ if you haven't declared him/her as your medecin traitant. Saying you'll get 22 of the 23€ back is assuming you've got a mutuelle unless, as Brian says, you've got a particular condition which gets you a higher remboursement ;-)

Jane

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear about your recent troubles. It all seems to get very complex. My question really starts from the very beginning of any medical care.i still o not understand whether an initial visit to my GP costing 23 Euros is reimbursable. Do you have any experience of this.

Bonne chance with the operations!

Jenny

All the best with it Jane, I am sure lots of people's thoughts go with you.

Unfortunately I have had too much experience of this lately. I will be going for my third operation in a month on Wednesday in Lyon.
The costs of my hospital stays are agreed between out Mutuelle and the hospital.
We have just received the bill for half of the cost, the part not covered by my Carte Vitale, from my surgeon in Macon, which we will have to pay first, get a receipt and then be reimbursed by our Mutuelle.
You do need to either be on a restricted income or 100 percent for the condition, neither of which applies to me, for this illness, to avoid paying up front.

Life threatening maladies are all 100% cover. I returned Tuesday from a lovely all expense paid two night stay in a private clinique in Montauban. Ghastly food, though. The same resection procedure had been performed by the same doctor in early 2014, at another private facility. The food there had been surprisingly good. I don't guess one can complain when its free, eh?

Dicky ticker with new plumbing installed, not recommended though :-(

There's always one...! and it had to be you, Brian! ;-)

The exception Andrew, is people like me with 100% cover, in which case we get €22 back - yes, the 100% should be 96% but don't tell bureaucrats that ;-)

you won't get 22€ either unless you've got a mutuelle - your carte vitale will get you 70% refunded and then you need a mutuelle to get the rest back. Others have already said it - the time taken varies enormously.

It can vary between two weeks and two months before it shows on your account. Perhaps longer for all I know. When I still had paper statements I was occasionally amazed how long some took, knowing my CV had been read in the card reader at the clinic. Sometimes sending in the brown forms (les feuilles de soins) was repaid quicker than card repayments, including the normal doctor's practice ones. I gave up trying to work it our ages ago, ditto the insurance company repayments as well.

did she put your carte vitale in a machine or give you a feuille de soins (brown form) that she filled in and left you to complete with your details - if the latter you need to send that to cpam or whoever deals with your healthcover .

For 11 years in the system, I have never made any sense of the reimbursement schedule. You will eventually get reimbursed, but don't hold your breath.