Relocating in Ireland

Oh Fred, not just you, my poor Aussie brain nearly blew up when hubby took me there! Some of the little old pubs were a nightmare just trying to get a drink :rofl: :rofl: zero comprehension in either direction!

Welcome to the forum David - you want to move ā€˜TOā€™ Ireland :wink: . A good idea for your other half to work doing something else as without high level English difficult to work safely.

Good idea! I remember buying that when I first arrived in the UK and I think I found my camping and ski chalet jobs there!

As other have said - not in the EU :rage:

Ɖire not Eire

There are no fadas on my keyboard :slightly_smiling_face: You must have ticked the Gaeilge option.

2 Likes

Ha hašŸ˜† The fada is a big issue in Ireland right now. All Government keyboards and laptops being replaced with fada friendly boards. Seriously though Eire is a different word meaning burden!
Also I am from Donegal and donā€™t really appreciate your comments on English in Donegal. Really condescending! :unamused:

Really Can you support this?

Hi David.
Good luck with your move to Ireland, a fabulous country with stunning scenery, music, culture and craic. Yes there are problems, high rents, insurance etc but generally higher wages cover that. I think a post on Reddit Ireland would help. You will definately get feedback good and bad and maybe even helpful adviceā€¦ Also there is a system of citizens advice bureaux that could prove very helpful for admistrative help.

The fada (sĆ©imhiĆŗ) is easy to deal with PĆ”draig, In my day when the Marist fathers were diligently beating my Irish into me, I had the buailte to contend with too, and Irish script if I remember correctly (which is less and less of a normal occurrence these days).

Iā€™m sorry about my comments on the Donegal lilt, which I am very fond of (apart from it reminds me of Daniel Oā€™Donnell and his motherā€™s mass tea gatherings). I didnā€™t mean to offend. The point I was clumsily trying make was that if one was learning English a neutral accent is best and I think Donegal and Kerry probably have the strongest accents in Ireland.

Here, for the benefit of others PĆ”draig who may not be as familiar with Irelandā€™s regional accents as you and I are are some examples:

The first speaker has a Cork and the second a Kerry. one. The last time I was in Kerry it wanā€™t obligatory to wear a cap (a face mask yes, a cap no) but things may have changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4l_lKP841k

Here we see the Kerry accent in action again, the second speaker acquired his accent at a Dublin fee paying boys school and the Leas Ceann Comhairle (deputy speaker of the house) is from Donegal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3r8IBlVtys

1 Like

Oh, for a second I thought that you were being a bit harsh on PĆ”draig thereā€¦ :rofl:

1 Like

Good call on the CABs, and maybe David can contact a couple of them, prior to moving there maybe as what he needs in the main is practical advice, as an EU citizen, en amont (beforehand, upstream).

Understandably, David is putting the feelers out but Iā€™d say to him & his partner go for it, foncez, mais surtout chiadez bien votre installation, to avoid any unpleasant surprise, particularly with regards to diploma/professional qualifications/degree etc. equivalence and accommodation costs (you can check on websites like rightmove.co.uk for instance, overseas section, there are plenty others of course, Irish ones but Iā€™m not familiar with them maybe others are on here and can advise. But as I wrote in my first post, Dublin & area isnā€™t cheap, it has got spectacularly expensive, roughly since the mid-1990s and the ā€œCeltic Tiger periodā€, just something to bear in mind.

Ah Ƨa, indeed, je te le fais pas dire (you can say that again), those halcyon days are well and truly overā€¦ In theory itā€™d be possible for someone like David to come to Scotland the UK and work in IT but bon, there are a few hurdles pas piquĆ©es des hannetonsā€¦

Just to give you an idea, if you want the equivalent of the Carte de SĆ©jour, the Indefinite Leave to Remain card, itā€™s Ā£2,389. Yep, nearly 2 and a half grand, now that the Tories have turned the Home Office into a hostile luxury goods business.

Under the new points-based visa system, to live and work in the UK you need an offer of employment or a contract paying at least >Ā£25,000/year (thatā€™s the minimum, itā€™s the threshold for the Tier 2 General visa ā€“ higher for the other Tiers).

And up to recently, non-EU workers already in the UK had to be earning at least Ā£30,000/yr, not sure what the situation is as we speak. It pleased the large Brexity public but it pissed off the likes of the US, Australia etc. so I think that the Tories reluctantly had to tone it down. It was to be Ā£35,000 but itā€™s been generously lowered and, I understand, the requirements have been relaxed a bit but only because some major partner countries (eg the US and Australia) threatened to toughen the immigration legislation for UK migrants.

The non-EU workers whoā€™ll be deported for earning less than Ā£35,000
From 6 April thousands of employees in Britain face being kicked out because they donā€™t earn enough ā€“ with Americans and Australians among the most affected.

The job offer that David & his partner would get would also have to come from a a ā€œlicensed employerā€, an employer holding a valid sponsorship licence, so s.o or an organisation that will accept to go through the hoops and deal with the Home Office (not for the faint of the heart, although if you neatly tick all the boxes etc. it should be fine) but thereā€™s an additional ā€œgoing rateā€ requirement which complicates things for both the employer and worker: If the ā€˜going rateā€™ for your job is higher than both of these, youā€™ll usually need to be paid at least the going rate

And of course employers also have to pay for the privilege, itā€™s called the Immigration Skills Charge (from Ā£364 per worker per year for small businesses and charities, but itā€™s usually around the Ā£1,000 mark per worker for the first 12 months, with an additional Ā£500 charge for each subsequent six-month period).

And good luck to ordinary people with dealing with the Home Office, remotely as you canā€™t see anyone as itā€™s all centralised in Croydon, they donā€™t answer the phone, donā€™t reply to emails etc.

Youā€™ll then need to pay regularly to update your visa and pay a good whack for it, the fee varies according to the type of visa.

If you want your spouse (you have to be married) to join you, if s.he passes the language requirement, it can take up to 3 years (an ex lecturer colleague of mine, on a decent wage then, had to wait 28 months for his Chinese wife to be allowed to join him on Tyneside) and costs Ā£1,033 (for 2 Ā½ years), + Ā£624 a year to use the NHS.

If while youā€™re in the UK, you have a child and want to register your child as British (since, unlike France where a child to at least one parent who is either a French citizen or born in France, is automatically French, the UK hasnā€™t had jus soli since 1983) that registration incurs an extra fee of Ā£1,000, just to register the child as Britishā€¦ Of course while the child isnā€™t registered, s.he too will need to have the relevant, expensive, paperwork.

sounds as if David should stick with his plan to visit/work in Ireland and NOT the UKā€¦

1 Like

Just appalling! That totally wipes out any Aussie / Kiwi nurses being able to work in the UK as while we are paid more than that in Oz NHS wages wonā€™t cover the GBP30,000!

That was hilarious John, I have tears running down my cheeks and understood hardly a word of it. :rofl:

My wife, the Great Stoneface, is sitting beside me looking completely composed. I asked her if she understood all that and she nodded. Her maiden name is Colluney and she is several generations away from Ireland. Of course I donā€™t believe a word of what she says. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I had no idea the UK was such a rip-off.
I thought Ā£9,000 for the quality of university education mostly on offer in the UK, was already a bl**dy cheek.

Hi,
We are brits who moved to France after living in sw Ireland for 20 years. It is a wonderful place to live but you must be prepared for inclement weather. Having said that my friends still there report much drier sunnier weather these recent summers.
Work in IT should be easy enough to find, the country encourages well educated people with good skill sets.
Nurses are also in demand but naturally language skills are paramount. Not sure if it still applies, but when we first went, professional jobs required a qualification in Irish, a way of retaining employment for natives.
The sw apart from cork, Galway and Limerick are primarily tourist based industries, so maybe your french language skills could open opportunities in that area.
Our Irish friends returned from France two years ago, taking their car with them. The import duty and taxes were prohibitive and they ended up scrapping it and bought one there. Also, the insurance rates in Ireland are more expensive than France and they penalise drivers in their first year premium if they come from a country that drives on the right. You would do well to research leasing opportunities maybe that include insurance in the monthly payment.
The best place to look for long term rental property is on Daft.ie but you need to be aware that tenant protection is much less than in France and that rentals, especially of desirable property is very high compared to France. Most property in the south west is rented short term to tourists.
If you can make it work, it is a fabulous place to live, friendly people, beautiful scenery, vibrant life.

3 Likes