Removing ASDL filter

Hello, folks. Probably a silly question but I’d appreciate any advice. I’m exchanging my Orange Livebox 4 for a new one and was going to return the old ASDL filter (or whatever they call it) along with the router. Damned if I can get it out of the phone socket. I thought there must be some sort of catch to disengage but can’t find one. I’ve tried to pull it out with some force but it refuses to budge. If it’s a straightforward push-in, pull-out operation I may try to lever it out with a blade but obviously don’t want to damage the socket. It’s been in place for about five years. Any suggestions?

Which of the two types is it.

prise-gigogne-filtre-vdsl
download

Neither one, I’m afraid. It has two inputs at the bottom.

They only ever want the Livebox and power adaptor back, I’ve always kept any other cables etc.

That looks like a french one, it should just pull out unless the connectors are corroded.

Or slightly dislodged an stuck in the socket.

No harm leaving it but what connection speed do you get, and do you still have a ligne fixe for the 'phone or do you plug your phone into the Livebox?

Many thanks for the replies, chaps. I just got back from picking up the new box and decided to yank the filter out. Out it came. I could have left it in place but didn’t know if it had been damaged during one of many thunderstorms. Crabtree 24: my phone plugs into the box. Billybutcher: yes, that’s all they asked for. Always useful to have some extra cables. Thanks again for your help.

1 Like

I remember taking our lightning-zapped Livebox to an Orange shop for replacement years ago, but made the mistake of forgetting to return the adaptateur secteur.
We queued out of the door to find, once inside, that they would only take the equipment without the adaptor if we paid something in the region of 50€. We drove home and back to the shop join the back of the queue and start all over again.
We learned to avoid Orange boutiques and sent the next dead Livebox and its adaptateur back painlessly via Chronopost.

I thought of going to an Orange shop but the nearest one is an hour away so arranged delivery by Chronopost. My new internet radio finally works and other internet issues seem to have been solved with the new Netbox. Couldn’t be happier with the service from Orange. A delightful lady (is that sexist?) at the English-language help desk arranged everything quickly and pleasantly.

4 Likes

Good for you!

If your phone plugs into your Livebox, and not into the telephone line directly, then you don’t need any ADSL filter at all. Remove it and discard it, and then plug your Livebox directly into the telephone socket.

1 Like

I’m sure you’re right. I was dumbly following the instructions. The filter has a second socket for a ligne fixe phone.