Removing someone in your home

We have someone living with us in our home. Using shared facilities: kitchen, living area etc. So we have rented out the room but they have become impossible to live with. We have children in our home too. I know the law in France is usually that you can’t force them to leave until March 31st but if I have found them somewhere else to live can we evict them?

Are they paying rent? That makes it harder than if they were just freeloading at your generosity etc. I suggest you get a Huissier to deal with the problem, they will deliver a notice to vacate/eviction notice and be au fait with french legalities and will probably cost around €400 to do this but if it works, well worth money. As you say,nothing can be enforced until end of March but you can meantime visit the office of a local Huissier and talk to them. This may be a long drawn out affair but you need to keep within the law for your own sake and not be drawn into any conflicts.

1 Like

If they are paying you for this then whether or not they have a written contract makes no difference. They are a legal tenant.

But you can give notice to quit to occupy the property yourself in same way as any other furnished tenancy. Unless they are over 65?

Is everything completely transparent? Ie either rent below the taxable threshold for a room in your house, or declared. As if push this person out they could of course get a bit nasty.

Use a hussier, and if they don’t want the accommodation you have found then offer some money. It could be less expensive in the end.

1 Like

I have spoken with a lawyer and they have said if I can find appropriate accommodation of around a similar size and price point then we can evict them. Which I have done. Thanks so much for your help