Renew or not to renew

Looking through the various chats couldn’t see similar reply. Does the carte Vital have a renewal date ? Nothing obvious on card but dosent mean it wont need renewal. Also I think I saw a scam on mobile for you to renew online , complete your details etc, etc ? Thanks

There’s no expiry date but I believe it needs to be re-enabled every year. You do that by presenting the card at your local pharmacy or surgery. I say “Je souhaite mettre à jour ma carte vitale” and they do the rest!

1 Like

Many pharmacies and hospitals waiting areas have borne (terminals/stands) where you can do it yourself.

1 Like

I have always forgotten, but it has never mattered because the regular pharmacy does it anyway from time to time.

Exactly… there is a scam doing the rounds, telling folk they need to renew their CV… and asking for all sorts of details

but as the Ameli CPAM sites and everyone in authority keeps saying “NO YOU DON’T need to renew”

You might receive a message asking you to “mis à jour” your Carte Vitale… and this is done at your pharmacy … so easy… hand them your CV and ask 'em to “mis à jour, s’il vous plaît” .
(I think it needs doing once a year just to show you’re still alive and kicking… but there’s no need to fret… as I say… just pop into your local and chat with them.)

1 Like

Was reading the other day about the forthcoming Carte Vitale appli, which it’s claimed will be more convenient than the simple plastic card. As far as I can gather instead of handing the card over, you open the thing on the phone, but, over to The Connexion’s explanation as I can’t be arsed explaining it further, :-

'How does it work?

First you have to download a mobile app onto your smartphone, called ‘apCV’.

The user will then be able to upload details of their physical carte Vitale into the app.

During a consultation or a purchase in the chemist, the user will only have to show a QR code on their phone to be read by an electronic reading device, or place the phone on an ‘NFC’ terminal.

Assurance maladie is recommending the QR code version in the first instance as not all smartphones are equipped with ‘NFC’ technology.

On this app, it will be possible to find the user’s data, their national health identifier and data for monitoring the use of the card.

What about data security?

Assurance maladie states that the data on the app will have the same level of security as the physical card but it will only be able to store a limited amount of information: surnames, first name(s), gender or sex, status (insured person, child etc) “and the organisation to which they belong."

In addition, users will have to perform double authentication each time: “via the insured’s smartphone and via a personal secret code,” explains Assurance maladie.’

Simple eh?

Just as simple as handing over a card, and then taking it back 2 minutes later! Totally daft as I don’t see the problem that it is solving.

3 Likes

It will be the CV itself for OH and for me… our mobiles don’t work with apps… we’re stoneage… :wink:

1 Like

Getting really fed up with cell phone verification.

We live in a deep valley and don’t have normal cell phone reception unless one waves the phone out of a second storey front bedroom window and hopes for the best. This verification process also makes buying online difficult unless we use our sole remaining UK bank account, who years and years ago issued a now very useful card reader (that at the time I thought was wholly unnecessary).

Nightmare - a colleague of mine has this problem, her village internet phone whatever died and she was given a dongle thingy for her telephone by her provider, but she has to go uphill to a carpark and work from her car, it makes work exceedingly difficult, and it’s very worrying too as she has family with major health problems who often need to ring urgently and can’t get up that hill.

In the late Nineties, I did a couple of art festivals in the Karoo with a guy who ran his local art gallery with money earned as a photographer in the Jo’burg movie industry. Every evening he’d drive several kms in his Hi-lux 4x4 (@John_Scully will know what I’m taking about) then climb a 1000m high kopje to get a signal in order to download the day’s email (and possible offers of work).

1 Like

The lack of reception in our house under a cliff was reason I finally succumbed to getting a Wise card. I can verify transaction on my ipad, Sadly doesn’t help with accessing my bank account .

1 Like

We currently have, I think ten different bank accounts in three different countries, it was four but the Irish one has just been closed. We’re certainly not wealthy, it’s merely a matter of historical circumstance and trying to make retirees’ money ‘work’.

Would that it could be more smple - I’d just like to have one account that made lots of money :wink:

Most phones nowadays support voice over wifi (or wifi calling). We have absolutely bugger all mobile coverage at the house so got a new, very cheap phone from amazon that supported this. I was dubious about whether it would work, but it worked with my RED wifi router first time.

I think it is quite an anglophone thing - or maybe just market fluctuations mean constantly moving money to get the extra 0.1% interest. We have been trying to cut back for years, especially when previously having to re-do the 3916 declaration every year. But still around 20 of them.

Thats one reason got a Revolut card, verification if needed can be done using the app. I had to go 2 km to get a signal and by then the bloody thing always timed out

Totally and utterly off-topic; when I lived in Turks & Caicos I had a Hilux Surf 4x4 - excellent vehicle. Mine had been imported from Japan so was RHD - I bought it partly because it had a Bob Marley sticker in the back window which i thought was a good omen for a Caribbean vehicle… :grinning:

1 Like

Turks & Caicos sounds a nice gig and anyway, don’t we all love SF thread drift?

On my first flight to SA I remember seeing dawn over the Kalahari and spotting a plume of dust as a bakkie (presumably either a Hi-Lux or one of the old Nissan Patrols) tore along an unimaginably remote dirt road with no other man-made feature visible as far as the eye could see. A couple of years later doing something similar in an indestructible old Hi-Lux. I realised I’d become that driver.

Interesting how the Japanese could design vehcles that were perfect for African conditions.

2 Likes

Yes T&C was nice but it’s a very small place - and too expensive to live there as a retiree unless you have pots of money (for property and for healthcare!)

My Hilux was indestructible until the head gaskets went - repair was then uneconomic as it would have involved shipping a new top end from the UK!

We had one of them in Oz, also a Japanese import! It was good, although overheated on tough hills. We had great fun 4WDing around Fraser Island for 3 days in it!