Rénovation of a driveway

I want to to lay a new drive this year in the easiest cheapest way possible. But it has to look attractive as well. Tarmac would seem to be the most suitable but is probably the most expensive probably 2000 -4000 euros for 60 sq metres?
Gravel of some kind I suspect would be the cheapest and easiest though I suppose it would need to be compacted
Paving slabs is a possibility as I could do it myself. Cost I suspect would be in the region of 2000
At the moment my favourite is concrete blocks as I could do it myself and does seem to be cheaper and easier than paving slabs

The drive at the moment seems to be some kind of compacted gravel and would make a hard base for paving slabs or concrete blocks and I would therefore be reluctant to start digging it up

The main problem is the drive would be about 8cm above the path in front of the garage. I’m not sure how much that matters.
Any advice or suggestions would be be very welcome

Unwise to have the drive higher than the path/entrance to the garage… as it would/might allow water to flow into the garage during a bad deluge/storms…

Apart from the manhole/inspection which is slightly protruding (and easily dealt with)… what is wrong with the drive now???

1 Like

I have been looking at doing part of mine in a type of resin gravel which is very durable but not cheap, looks something like the protection under the playground swings etc but not so bouncy. My neighbour has done a nice concrete drive and then coloured it black with powder that was brushed on and is permanent and looks very nice and hides the concrete imperfections. To be honest, its a nightmare as there are so many things you can do or use now so I am doing different sections all round the house including eventually a good quality false grass which is practical here where there is no rain and those who have it have made it look very nice indeed.

I can concur that a good quality fake-grass is excellent in the right spot,
Friends used some on a small outside area at their holiday home, rather than let real grass become a weed-ridden eyesore for the neighbours. It’s somewhat shielded by the slatted fencing, so isn’t “obviously artificial” to passers-by… or to me on the first visit… :wink:

but, back on topic… if anyone is looking at “tarmac”… do note my warning about “cowboys”. It’s too easy to be fooled by these fraudsters…

By ‘concrete blocks’ do you mean paviours? If so they require a deep bed. Cannot simply lay them on a thin layer of sand over gravel or concrete.

We have done a section of small square pavé and can concurr plus we also laid reinforcing mesh beneath the concrete and bedded the blocks well in using a spririt level evry move and straight edge.

Well in the winter it’s full of puddles especially near the gates and in summer it’s full of weeds which I do get rid of but it’d be better if I didn’t have to. The ‘manhole’ is for the underground oil tank and as we hope to get rid of our central heating boiler soon that shouldn’t be a problem. Good point about the garage but there is plenty of space at the side for excess water to drain away. I’ve been on much worse drives but unfortunately we’ve got to an age where we need to prepare for our final years and make life as easy as possible for ourselves!

1 Like

I understand that the blocks or pave need to be laid on about 5cm of compacted sharp sand. If I can’t hire a compacting machine I might have to buy one for about 300 euros and sell it afterwards

1 Like