Renovation

and of course send photos or examples of what you are planning to do outside.

Yes I’ve found the rules outside an urbanisation are more difficult, even to the extent that a shed needs to be attached to an existing building and limited to a percentage of that building’s size, that being said in the case of a bolt together metal shed he did say the request was correct to do but most people would,'t bother, why didn’t I wait 2 years until the record is archived by which time he would have forgotten I asked. The same chap also made someone who painted there walls a different colour re paint them as they were as they hadn’t asked. My feeling is always ask your Maire

I did this recently for reopening a barn end window (covered with a shutter so you wuldn’t really know it wasn’t there) but lifting it about 40 cm. The man shape spent much time with GIMP doing a mock up photo. Off I went to the mairie, was just about to go into the secretaries when my lovely mayor / neighbour grabbed me and took me off for a chat ‘as he hadn’t seen me for ages’ . When I explained the situation and showed him the print off he told me not to be silly and put the bit of paper away and tell me how I’ve been :rofl: :rofl: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

Andrea, may I ask how much a consultation with an architect costs? We have such a difficult building (built longways down a slope but also sloping the other way so soooo many different levels!) that 6 years later we are still struggling to workout what we want to do long term. i just want someone to walk in, look around and say ‘option 1: do that that and that, option 2: do that, that and that’ :rofl:

Most architects will come out to visit for zero, zip, free and for gratis. If the conclusion is that you can do everything yourself, if the project falls through, that’s just the way the cookie crumbles. If they think they can help, you have a choice of just getting them to draw up plans, which are paid for on the basis of the time they take, or acting as project manager as well, which is based on a % of the build.

As long as you don’t extract the micturation, I should think an architect would be happy to visit and suggest what he/she might be able to do for you.

1 Like

Hi Martin, can you elaborate a little further please?
Had the bright idea of building a block storage shed that will be attached at the same time converting an open sided lean to into a blocked store like a garage.

I had an architect have a look at my attached outbuildings with a view to converting them to living space, he told me what was possible and what wasn’t and turned my back of an envelope drawings into proper plans for approval by the authorities and my builders stonemason roofers etc to work on, the plans came to under 400€. Fantastic value I thought.

3 Likes

So, as I’ve read, she is only asking for a gable end (pignon) to be rendered, no need for an architect, just a déclaration préalable maison individuelle. If any of you need an architect, ask for the plan or plans to be drafted in 3D, so you & everyone involved has a perspective view of the project. It doesn’t take any more time to do in 3D.

I feel like I know way too much about your personal life now. :flushed::ninja:

2 Likes

Mandatory to wear a mask :joy:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

John, you should check with your Mairie but when I did mine I was told I must submit a Déclaration préalable, just a standard form, a hand drawn ground plan before and after, a written description and a few photos of the site, then max 20 metres carré and no more than 40% of the size of the building its to be attached to/touching, although I was told if it looked about right then Maire wouldn’t bother coming out with a tape measure. This was 5 years ago and I can’t stress enough ask, it’ll probably involve a quick visit because they’re interested in their commune and a lot of good guidance. Bonne courage mon brave

2 Likes

Thanks a soon as we get there we will get it all started
We to have the septic tank checked as well !

Very interesting as we have an 800 year old chapel within 200 metres of the main house.

Thanks Martin.

Over the last 28 years we have had various projects done and found that nothing internal needed approval but so many external works did.
In our area (01, Ain):
The Mairie must approve your choice of roof tiles and exterior render/paint colours.
“Temporary” structures like a wooden garage don’t need permission if under 20m sq, and you can play that card once a year (otherwise permission required)
There are rules about how close to public highways you can build (even sheds or bin stores etc)
Our architect was indispensable on a bigger project (raising our double garage and extending the footprint by 50%) as he tweaked the design/window position/roofing etc to save us from greater complications and undue costs [and the paperwork is a nightmare!!].
Septic tanks are governed by strict rules and must be inspected by your local commune - the department is SPANC. Many are now having to be replaced or upgraded so I would suggest asking your Mairie for advice.
And some materials (like paint) cost a great deal more per litre in France so if you plan to use a lot then investigate the chance to bring it in your removals van - if you have to declare it for tax etc then maybe not worth it.
Bon courage!!!

Interesting about septic tanks. Mine has Never been inspected by the commune. Have it emptied every 5-7 years, depends on number of visitors. As to paint, (water) by any other name, there are many on line discount providers of Dulux, for a fraction of normal price.

1 Like

i never thought of buying paint on line! I need some Hammerite for my outdoor paito set and it is SO expensive in the Bricos :japanese_ogre: Can you recommend som sites?

Hi, will look up my guy, and give you his email. Mine comes by DPD, very quickly. john Done that, Peinture Destock.com. They have massive supply of most things. Never bought Hammerite, but if you ring them, they have a guy who speaks fluent English. Sure they will be able to help. john

Hi John, thanks for this. I too have been looking for Hammerite. I know the destock site you mention used to have some, but 0 at present. Lots of V33/3v3 though which is a good thing for other projects.

Would you know of any other sources?

@Tory I’ve been looking for same - Hammerite which is all I would ever use outdoors.

If you want their standard colours in 2.5L yesterday I found Castorama have same-as-UK pricing on a current promo ie about 30% off ie 50 euros that size tin listing most colours. LeRoyMerlin and maybe others have same promo. However Castorama has a promo that will stack and get you a further 5 euros off.

Not sure why they say it’s not deliverable momentarily which could be a fly in the ointment. Am planning to call them in next week to find out what’s going on.

1 Like