Replacement chaudiere with biofioul/fuel

How does that apply to France ?

I havent a clue, however you can be sure they will be looking into the same as the agreement to reduce CO2. Is pan European. The gas rules apply in france as they do in the UK (authorised people only) and F gas already applies across Europe.

I can’t remember the deadlines but it’s the same here in France, no new oil fired boilers, they have caved in and agreed to a new biofioul to replace what we’re using at the moment. Gaz fired boilers are meant to be no longer installed after a certain date too, and this after the state has been pushing people to instal them for some years! They’ll be banning wood-burners next!

Then there really would be trouble (or an awful lot of people with hypothermia).

2 Likes

Some should be banned! Thing is how do you do this when gasification boilers are so good and so clean burning

Here’s a post I put up some time ago, maybe of interest?

3 Likes

Yep I remember it, especially as it is similar to the ground breaking UK policy :wink:

Just been watching an interesting video on the future of the gas boilers. Many of the major manufacturers are producing boilers that are hydrogen ready.
Hydrogen doesnt produce carbon monoxide so safer on that point.

About the only one.

Not sure how practical a replacement hydrogen is, while it has a higher energy density per kg (about 120MJ/kg vs 53.6) the density per L is about ⅓ (.01MJ/L vs .03MJ/L) and it will leak out of pipes and containers which hold methane because it is such a small molecule.

Plus, it burns with no visible flame so is fairly dangerous in a domestic setting.

Don’t want the R101 in my house thanks :fearful: Or the Hindenburg

What’s R101?

Another doomed airship.

It was another if these airships but British änd crashed horribly near Beauvais or somewhere similar in the 1930s actually maybe I am confused and it actually didn’t have hydrogen in it - shall check. One of those things I remember reading about as a small child, so I might have got it wrong :grin:

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve installed most types of gas installations for industrial plant, thought it was an r N° like r410a etc.

It did, and that doubtless contributed to the fire, but there was a lot else to burn in those things. It was the unplanned acute contact with the ground that was the problem :slight_smile:

Be interesting to know how much energy is needed to produce the equivalent energy from hydrogen (I’ve been out of touch with my science background for too long!). Can’t imagine its that efficient

Maybe time to buy some shares in Air Liquide…

@james !!

Also shares in leak detection companies.
https://ch.bt-pip.com/startseite/gasdetection/detectors-1/siemens-detectors.html?language=fr
https://www.honeywellanalytics.com/fr-fr/product/fixed-gas-detection