Replacement chaudiere with biofioul/fuel

Not sure how practical a replacement hydrogen is, while it has a higher energy density per kg (about 120MJ/kg vs 53.6) the density per L is about ⅓ (.01MJ/L vs .03MJ/L) and it will leak out of pipes and containers which hold methane because it is such a small molecule.

Plus, it burns with no visible flame so is fairly dangerous in a domestic setting.

Don’t want the R101 in my house thanks :fearful: Or the Hindenburg

What’s R101?

Another doomed airship.

It was another if these airships but British änd crashed horribly near Beauvais or somewhere similar in the 1930s actually maybe I am confused and it actually didn’t have hydrogen in it - shall check. One of those things I remember reading about as a small child, so I might have got it wrong :grin:

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve installed most types of gas installations for industrial plant, thought it was an r N° like r410a etc.

It did, and that doubtless contributed to the fire, but there was a lot else to burn in those things. It was the unplanned acute contact with the ground that was the problem :slight_smile:

Be interesting to know how much energy is needed to produce the equivalent energy from hydrogen (I’ve been out of touch with my science background for too long!). Can’t imagine its that efficient

Maybe time to buy some shares in Air Liquide…

@james !!

Also shares in leak detection companies.
https://ch.bt-pip.com/startseite/gasdetection/detectors-1/siemens-detectors.html?language=fr
https://www.honeywellanalytics.com/fr-fr/product/fixed-gas-detection

What’s the poor bloke done now :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:? I just read that with the same tone I call my J… man shape!

What’s a J…man shape? It doesn’t come up in google. Something Aussi?

Indeed but manufacturers know this and have made necessary provision.
I agree with the other point re leaks due to molecular size. Years ago when I worked for a gas meter manufacturers we used helium to look for leaks for same reason.

Yes we always tested with helium for leaks and security always had a bag of sand to throw handfulls in the air before them when going into the plant rooms even with the detection in place.
So they’re working on basically creating a highley dangerous ATEX area in your home to heat rads and hot water.
May look into buying shares in ATEX cert’d things such as light fittings and switches…

1 Like

Be tempted to mount outside, no good reason to use up space and safer too.

Hydrogen fuel cell boilers have been around for years…

R101 struck the Beauvais Ridge - not far from where the autoroute now cuts through.

Usual English exceptionalism : a rushed project, a Minister for Air that wanted to arrive in India in style and so took his extremely heavy carpet with him to grace the banquet, untested machine and arrogance. The airship was too heavy, couldn’t gain altitude and got heavier still as it flew through rain as the water soaked the outer skin, which chaffed the inner gas-bags thereby causing them to leak…causing the airship to lose even more altitude - until the point it struck the ridge.

Basically they ran out of ideas, ability and altitude all at the same time. The passengers and crew are all buried in a cemetery nearby.

I have a very good book about it.

Why the bag of sand? What does the sand do when you throw it? How does it behave differently in the presence of different gases? Does it ignite? (Surely not, a bit destructive).
This is super interesting (and also I need something to take my mind off the total dog’s breakfast I am making of a hat I am trying to knit).

Hydrogen burns invisablably to our eyes, so you throw sand in front of you and if it comes into contact with a flame it shows like sparklers /flying genies, its also lighter than air so you get down and run to turn off the outside cutoff valve.

2 Likes