Replacement chaudiere with biofioul/fuel

Be aware if you go down this route that regular solar panel installations are no good in a power cut.

Apart from the fact that the power outage is almost certain to be when the sun is not shining due to general application of Murphy’s law1 and Sod’s addendum2 for safety reasons the inverters shut off if they do not detect grid power.

1] If things can go wrong they will.
2] Having gone wrong, maximal damage and inconvenience will result.
1 Like

Get the boiler serviced and carry on… I went through exactly the same - worked out it would take 15 years to pay for itself. Try and figure out how much a year it costs to run then use that when looking at replacements to work out if its all worth it

1 Like

Probably sage advice, one thing to consider though is that all fossil fuel boilers will ultimately be phased out - hopefully not for a while but the pressure to switch to a renewable such as a PAC will increase.

1 Like

Yes agree completely, hence mentioning the batteries for backup, obviously this increases system costs and you only get a return if its used rather than just backup.
I was hoping to have installed a system in 2020 but obviously that was stopped and wont be started until I get a source of income sorted.
On a foot note, several electric cars are being manufactured with bi directional power, in the event of a power cut youll be able to use the car to power the house via a suitable inverter.
It is entirely possible to save more money using your own electricity rather tha a paltry feed in tariff and yes grid tie equipment ads an additional cost to an off grid system.

Sounds great! A few years ago we could do that and now our friends consider us mad as we are over sixty and moving out of town! We will find a way not too expensive or heavy duty which will enable us to enjoy the rest of our lives. My husband restoring ancient Jaguars and I am a landscape painter so I just have to walk to the end of our land and paint! Will check the link you put up for wood gasification boilers. Thanks!

Yes but not in the next 20 odd years S o unless you are young it doesn’t make sense to spend upwards of 20 grand.

Under EU regulations to cut emissions it may well be less than 20 years. It is within 5 years in the UK not to fit a fossil burner. Then there is the cleaner air issue which isnt monatary. The more units made and installed the cheaper the systems become.

Hi Fiona,
I bought a generator from Castorama, which is just for emergency and not the top of the line!
Since I have a tractor, I also keep diesel on the farm, another thing you might think about!

Once you are used to living in the country you will enjoy it and don’t let people scare you about age and living in the countryside!

There are various penalties for using fuel to heat your house, as well as further incentive to switch to a PAC coming in next year I believe. I do have a generator for emergencies.

1 Like

So tell me how are they going to enforce it and what are you going to tell the people who have bought a boiler in the last few years.This is trying to frighten people the same as the septic tank debacle a few years back.

Simply put in the UK no new fossil boilers will be allowed to be fitted after 2025. As they have to be installed by certified fitters and they have to sign them off it will be quite clear how it will be monitored.
Its not about frightening anyone its just progress.

1 Like

How does that apply to France ?

I havent a clue, however you can be sure they will be looking into the same as the agreement to reduce CO2. Is pan European. The gas rules apply in france as they do in the UK (authorised people only) and F gas already applies across Europe.

I can’t remember the deadlines but it’s the same here in France, no new oil fired boilers, they have caved in and agreed to a new biofioul to replace what we’re using at the moment. Gaz fired boilers are meant to be no longer installed after a certain date too, and this after the state has been pushing people to instal them for some years! They’ll be banning wood-burners next!

Then there really would be trouble (or an awful lot of people with hypothermia).

2 Likes

Some should be banned! Thing is how do you do this when gasification boilers are so good and so clean burning

Here’s a post I put up some time ago, maybe of interest?

3 Likes

Yep I remember it, especially as it is similar to the ground breaking UK policy :wink:

Just been watching an interesting video on the future of the gas boilers. Many of the major manufacturers are producing boilers that are hydrogen ready.
Hydrogen doesnt produce carbon monoxide so safer on that point.

About the only one.