Residency status

Yes that was the info produced when I specified I wanted to move to France and start a business.

I think your comment is incorrect:

Somewhere, there is a document/site which outlines the differences for those folk who are covered by the Withdrawal Agreement… and all those who are NOT… ie those folk who seek to Reside in France after 31/12/2020

@graham have you any clues… ???

Nope. Currently no changes planned.

Sorry. Yes you are right. One of the changes suggested pre-Brexit didn’t come to pass then, that makes a change.

1 Like

I can find a few references… this one was a topic started by your good self CdS online Portal
and this one also started by you.
but I’m not sure those are what you are refering to.

I’ll take a look… the trouble is there was so much waffle from UK govt (and threats) for so long it’s all become rather confusing… trying to figure what has actually been gained.

But I do know I’d rather have a WARP than not…

cheers

1 Like

AFAIK, there are no special arrangements for UK citizens after the WARP process has ended and they will be regarded simply as TCNs and go through th normal process:
http://accueil-etrangers.gouv.fr/demande-de-titre-de-sejour/

2 Likes

There are two issues here…one is what process is needed to be allowed to move to france.And I agree with you I think it’s the same as for any other TCN, why should there be any difference?

Then there’s the issue of what happens to pensions, healthcare and exportable benefits. I think the only change is that if you are under state pension age you can no longer get an S1 because of having benefits like PIP, DLA, carers or attendance allowance. Everything else seems similar - pensions will be uprated, EHIC turns into GHIC, S1 will be issued for pensioners, And you can get benefits. Haven’t seen anything saying otherwise?

1 Like

My initial question came about due to some confusion (as shown in this thread) over the upgrading of pensions… (so much was threatened by UK and thankfully not actioned…).

cheers @JaneJones and @graham

1 Like

Going back over this as we are still trying to make up our minds. I will definitely have to continue to work in the UK for a bit longer. That means I don’t want to register my vehicle in France so I can drive back and forth.
On the basis that a CdS would be granted for 5 years what might be the step afterwards? We maybe ready to retire by then which could be in France.

Sorry for all the questions.

Please don’t apologise John. You are always so helpful to other people. It gives others a chance to help you for a change.

3 Likes

Thank you Sue, it looks like we’ll stay as 2nd home owner tourists for now as we’ll no doubt have to apply again 5+ years and whatever hoops we have to jump through at that time. Looking at the various calculators of stay in a shengen area we can still have a few visits per year if we time it right and get the duration of a few weeks.
Retirement is just that little bit too far off on this occasion. We will still continue to enjoy France on every occasion.

2 Likes

We know a couple who have a place near us (in Corsica); I think he said when I last saw them that he just applied for a long term multi entry visit visa (1 year I suppose) which meant he could come for more than 3 months a year. It seemed pretty simple to do.

Wondering could just one of you apply now? Perhaps your wife.

This means you can keep your car registered in the UK and come and go.

However perhaps others will know better, but I am guessing when you come to retire, as the family member (husband) of someone who gets their WA now, you would have full WA rights still when you yourself apply when retiring?

If your wife as able to spend 183 days / year here (and put in a tax return) then she can apply based on her arrival date in 2020. This would then allow you to join her under the WA agreement when you have retired.

If you receive a 5 year CDS based on being here under 5 years then when you reach your 5 years residency (or when your card runs out - doesn’t really matter) it is a straight swap for your 10 year permanent card through yoru local pref.

1 Like

the 3-6 month visa is probably what they have. The 6-12 month one would mean having to file a tax return etc and that seems to be the sticking point for many not wanting to take up residence here.

2 Likes

With the extension until 30 September, we have at least a bit more time to try and come to a decision.

The British Embassy is still saying there is no extension, @Corona as they have throughout…

Should I care what the British Embassy say?
This relates to settling in France.