Returning a car to the UK - Customs

Does anyone have any experience of returning a car to the UK and dealing with the post-Brexshit formalities?
It appears that I need to make a customs declaration through an agent (though I’ve just signed up for an account with HMRC to see if I can DIY, I might regret that), pretty much before I do anything, such as paying the VAT. So far that seems to be a minefield with lots of companies offering to make it painless (though I suspect not painless for the wallet). Any real life experience or tips?

I took my French reg’d van back to the UK and simply re-registered it there, no need for an agent.

1 Like

A long time ago, I brought a Merc coupe back to the UK from South Africa in a container with the rest of my possessions (having previously exported it). I found the process very straightforward - re-registered the car on its original number for £25 at my local branch of the DVLA and put on a new pair of boring UK licence plates.

Imagine it costs more these days, but hope the process remains the same for you.

1 Like

It’s a little bit more complex because the car was taken to France tax-free so VAT is payable, thanks to the B word.

Is it a newish car?

2020 Skoda Karoq

Did you not pay VAT on the car when you bought it?

No, my job let’s me register a car in France tax free. Even if I had, I’ve passed the 3 year window on returning it without paying VAT.

I had to make a customs declaration but it was all done online and very easy, once the VAT etc is paid HMRC will give you a NOVA reference number to enable you to re-register it.

1 Like

How did you get a valuation?

The valuation doesn’t have to be too exact, try Honest John -

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/used-prices/Skoda/Karoq/2020/

You can’t do that any more it seems. HMRC wants an invoice or a valuation from a bona fide car dealer and that excludes the online car buyers like. We Buy Any Car.

I sent them a copy of the invoice when I bought van but they never asked for a proper valuation to use as the current value, I just used a rough estimate based on online values.

Glass’s guide is the “bible” for UK secondhand car values. It’s now online but it used to be a little pocket sized book that was issued monthly and difficult to get hold of if you weren’t in the Trade. Salesmen always used it to decide trade-in and resale values. I bet HMRC uses it to validate submissions and I’d say they’d challenge any valuation they believe is too low. So, if they don’t challenge you, you’ve probably overvalued :thinking: Go in low would be my advice :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi,
I’ve been in touch with the UK DVLA import department and they’re very helpful.
As long as you have proof you owned the vehicle in the UK and VAT was paid on it before exporting to France then no taxes to pay & a simple form to fill out. No agent required.
In our case we bought our car the day we left the UK (yes a busy day!!) and registered in UK (V5 in my name) before re-registering it in France in 2018.
As I’ll be driving it back via Eurotunnel I’ll have 14 days after arrival to submit the C179B form (available online, basic info requested).
Apparently they tend to give you back your old registration number then you can go and get the new plates made.
Then you can also register the vehicle in whoever’s name, doesn’t need to be the person importing.
Only thing that’s very important is the import paperwork MUST be in the same name as old UK owner and current french owner otherwise pay import taxes.
Good luck

1 Like

VAT wasn’t paid on it so it’s a bit more complex.