Review Home Internet - 4G Box from Bouygues Telecom

Thanks Lawrence, I’ve been using this, it’s a great tool and has helped me to determine the most appropriate mobile plan to use for our cottage. Much appreciated.

Nearly 9 months in and still love my Bouygues 4G Box - excellent! So liberating not having a fixed line service :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Read this with interest but, sadly, mobile coverage in our area is sporadic to say the least.
We tried satellite through Nordnet but were limited in our monthly usage.
We now have WiMAX - free installation (paid for by Conseil Générale) and €39.90 a month after two free months, and unlimited upload/download. Speed varies, but is always faster than our satellite connection was and fast enough for most domestic needs.
Maybe not available everywhere, but eligibility can be tested on the Nordnet website.
Hopefully, helpful for anyone in a similar position to ours.

1 Like

I cannot recommend this highly enough.
I was with Orange, paying €36.99 a month for a midserable 1.5 Mb connection.
I got the Bouygues box yesterday and now have between 25 and 35Mb for €32.99 per month. Brilliant!!

Anyone know if the 30 day free trial offer is still available?

Yes Graham - I think it’s a permanent thing:

Bouygues 4G Box

Ah, thanks Simon

Have run a test on their website and it seems they can only provide ADSL
to our address :frowning:

Does that include the line rental Bryn ?

?? Patrick - there is no line - it’s 4G. Take a look at the links provided. It’s 32,99€ per month.

Thanks for this posting Simon, had our 4G-Box for one week and am over the moon. From nothing to 200Gb. But getting it was a saga. read about it on our Blog: https://theoldagetravellers.wordpress.com/2018/03/12/computer-says-no/
All I need to find out now is whether they allow roaming so I can take it away with us in our Motorhome.
Just hope they don’t hike the price or reduce the service after a year.
Thanks againSteve

1 Like

Great news Steve and enjoyed your blog! Sadly you can’t roam with your Bouygues 4G Box - they are geo-locked to the masts nearest to your registered address. I still love mine and don’t miss my fixed line one tot! :slight_smile:

Sorry Simon I didn’t see your reply. That is a real shame as we are touring for about half the year quite a lot of it in France where we could continue using the data. Oh well it is great to have the fast speed and for us virtually unlimited data. We rarely stream films so 200gig is plenty.
Two weeks in and have used 50gb and half that was win10 doing a major update.
Steve

1 Like

No probs Steve - glad you’ve joined the fast internet world!! Streaming films is not that bad really - between 1-3GB / hour depending on the quality (SD v HD). We have an IPTV service at home (no satellite, ADSL, aerial service) and watch Live TV, Films & Catch-up pretty ‘normally’ (i.e. whenever we want!) and never get anywhere near the 200GB limit. Anyway - happy touring and happy viewing :slight_smile:

Hi Simon,
Like you we are still over the moon about our 4Gbox. I notice above that you have also ditched your landline. €15 per month to Orange for a few calls out and a lot of sales calls in is just not worth it for me. Do you just rely on your mobiles now. Or can the telephone connection on the box be activated as a home phone. SWIMBO is still hankering to keep the landline. I did buy an OBI100 VOIP box a while back when I first got Satellite Internet but didn’t persever when I found the satellite so slow.
Steve

Hi Steve - yep we just use our mobiles - or Skype, Duo’s, Messenger. Currently - the phone socket on the 4G Box is disabled.

You really need to ask yourself WHY you want to keep the landline. So many folks still pay the 15€ fee to Orange every month alongside their ADSL line - I’ve never understood it :slight_smile: Filthy habit lol!

Love, love, love my 4G Box !!! :-:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

We changed from Orange mobile to Bouygues, to improve the poor signal, was much better for a while, then returned to poor signal again, we and neighbours have reported this, Bouygues have shown not the least interest in the problem, quite a few unhappy clients here!

Phew - glad we don’t have the same issue’s around here - fab 4G coverage - happy boy :slight_smile:

Is there a way of ‘improving’ the range to the 4G mast by installing an aerial on your own property?
In our case, we are about 1k short of the strong 4G signal area.

Graham - I’m not really up to speed on that however Bouygues recommend this piece of kit as a 4G signal receiver / booster for their 4G Box - so maybe it or something along these lines would do the trick?

Antenne 4G LTE MIMO Directionnelle

1 Like

Brilliant Simonl just what I was looking for… will now investigate further.

2 Likes