Review Home Internet - 4G Box from Bouygues Telecom

That’s the one! The login screen is different to what it used to be - when we first got it, the login screen asked for user name and then password - both the same (by default)

Yup, but the worry is that by resetting two things:

1. I’ll loose all the current settings (but have printouts so can put them back)
  2. It still won’t work - leaving me in a worse position than I am now

Thanks for the link but it seems to relate to Bbox which is their ADSL offering, not 4G…

Probably the best thing is to ask Bouygues - or hunt around your online account and see if the info is there.

hehehehe… being trying that all fucking day - going round in circles…
The BBox url is 192.168.1.254 but the 4G box is (was) 192.168.1.1 which is usual although I have seen references to 192.168.1. but that just times out.
1.1 works (in a fashion) but only asks for pswd no user so kicks you out for 4 minutes - each time it does that it’s another 4 minutes on top of the last attempt…

Is the helpline problem a result of Covid? I needed to contact Barclays a couple of weeks ago and would usually have done so using the online chat through my Barclays App. It isn’t working because of the health situation and they said to phone a helpline number. I did and straight away I got a message telling me that due to Coronavirus their phone helpline was less efficient than usual and that I might be in for a long wait. I was. Three times. They also explained that their might be quality issues as their people were working from home. The Barclays system is usually very good, perhaps Bouygues are suffering from the same problems.

Maybe David…

I’m no expert re Bouygues. I’ve been a mobile customer of theirs for perhaps 15 years but I’ve never needed to contact customer services. :slight_smile:

Gotta love French customer service :slight_smile:

Do you know if the Bouygues service is locked to their box (would be surprised but…).

If not there are quite a lot of choices on amazon.fr which look to be more attractive than wasting your time with Bouygues CS.

I don’t have a Free offer Graham, just a normal Free SIM. Any SIM will work in a 4G router.

I thought that the Bouygues sim will only work in a Bouygues router??

Quite so Paul. The Huawei B715s-23c router looks to be the best but bizarrely, the link you provided suggests this router is available to purchase but also from amazon.fr is the same model which suggests it’s indisponible! It has good reviews and other reading of forums suggests that people have a problem poking Bouygues sims in other routers…
Might just give LowcostMobile.fr a ring to seek their view next week…
this one indisponible:
This one Available:
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Two other possibilities to consider…

Mentioned in the info on the B715 item: “Update 22/09/19 : Suite au passage automatique vers l’IPV6 chez certains opérateurs, assurez vous que tous vos appareils connectés soient compatible IPV6, ou sinon configurer un APN en IPV4 seul. Ce routeur dispose de connecteurs SMA, pas besoin d’adaptateurs TS9.”

• Has the B296 been updated behind the scenes to IPV6 and how does this impact the device I am using to connect to the router (if this is using IPV4). I would have thought IPVn was backwardly compatible.
  • We read somewhere on a forum that some things are happening with Bouygues from July 2020 making improvements on the network and this could be silently affecting other users of their equipment.

French what?

1 Like

It would be the Bouygues router that’s locked Graham, like a phone bought from a service provider. I’d guess the Bouygues SIM should work in anything, even a phone - though only providing a data service. The Tp-Link boxes are unlocked and the SIMs are just normal SIMs.

After lockdown when the network was overloaded the TP-Link boxes were dropping their connections and not reconnecting without a reboot. Which was tedious. I bought a Huawei B535-232 from Amazon.fr (also €110) to see if it would perform better and it didn’t. There’s no real difference between any of the low end boxes IMO. I decided to retire the Huawei because I prefer the TP-Link interface.

The normal address for a router is 192.168.1.1 there must always be a four groups of letters. (though just to be awkward the Huawei was 192.168.1.8). I’m sure that can be changed in settings. The user ID is probably ADMIN.

It certainly was (but in lower case) for both the user and the psw. Indeed, it’s written on the base of the router. I also tried 1.8 and 8.1 as the final pair but they both just time out. At least 1.1 gets a login screen displayed but it doesn’t ask for the user name and the password is not accepted.

Do you just want to tap in 192.168.1.1 and take a screenshot and send it to me.? Have you been able to access the settings screens before, Budgie might lock the router?

Here is the screen @John_Scully
gnome-shell-screenshot-T19KN0
You’ll notice that it doesn’t ask for user id just a password. Clicking on Forgot just brings up a message to say reset the router and you’ll loose your settings. Smart Home is no better :roll_eyes:
I have been able to access the settings screen before - when I first got the router from Bouygues. I set up static ip addresses using IP and MAC address Associations (6 of them - our 2 linux PC’s, a NAS, our smart TV (wireless and wired) and HP laser network printer)

All the documentation that I can find talks about the password being printed on the base and/or being admin/admin by default

So, assuming that Graham did not change his password (though I would strongly advise everyone to change the default admin passwords on routers) I can see why he’s a bit wary of a factory reset - it’s quite possible that if the old, unchanged, default of admin/admin has been tweaked by Bouygues then a factory reset would not only loose settings but the new default password would not be “admin” and he would be up the creek without proverbial paddle.

Assuming it is not possible to speak to someone sensible at Bouygues I suspect that a cheap, back-up 4G router is the only safe way to go, get that installed and set up (can always return under EU distance selling regs if, for any reason, it won’t work with the existing SIM) and then it is risk-free to try a factory reset on the existing 4G box.

My thoughts exactly @anon88169868
IIRC, I did change the WiFi psw to something more memorable (which worked) and whilst it then asked if I wanted to change the manager psw to the same, I think I might have done but that psw doesn’t work now trying to log in as well as the default one not working.
Although I am happy to pay the 200 odd €s for the B715s (under the same rules as you mention) and send it back if the Bouygues sim doesn’t work with the proviso that I will talk to LowcostMobile first to seek their advice - they may have experience of the Bouygues 4G data sim from other users.
I suspect the majority of people don’t bother with changing the user/WiFi settings and may be blissfully unaware of any issue until the time comes when they have to reset the router for whatever reason (like it just “falls over”). As I said, the only reason I have found this issue is from a sense of curiosity - I wanted to see the settings for changing from the internal aerial to an external one whilst considering whether to buy one. I’ve put that idea on hold just now.

If it does have a factory userid and PW on the bottom AND I could tether to my phone in case it all went horribly wrong I’d risk a factory reset. But I’ve always been a bit of a risk taker (apart from with backups). I’ve flown by the seat of my pants with very large mainframes, why not a router :wink:

On the other hand, if you want to borrow my How a ya… I’ll post it to you tomorrow. If you already have a suitable power supply it’d save a bit of weight and bulk.

That’s very kind of you John. I have the power supply for the B528 but not sure if they would be compatible so for the moment I’ll hold fire until I speak with LowcostMobile and/or get a response from Stack Exchange Super User forum where I have posted a question.

As you wish Graham, the offers open.

1 Like

No one has responded to my question on SE SU so that avenue is dead I guess.
However, I did receive a response from LowcostMobile to say that

Oui cela fonctionne parfaitement, vous pouvez paramétrer un APN en IPV4 seul depuis l’interface pour éviter les problèmes avec l’IPV6.

Le routeur fonctionne avec tous les opérateurs.

So I’'ll pursue this avenue a little more closely with a visit to the Bouygues shop in Angoulême to see if we can purchase just the sim option without the router and how the cost might change.