Review Home Internet - 4G Box from Bouygues Telecom

@Bucko You need to go into your Espace Client for Bouygues (if you look on your last email from them, in the top right corner is a link to your espace client) and that will take you to the Tableau de bord for your account.
In Mes infos perso go to:
Selection_001
click on there and reset your email account.
I think the telephone number is just to identify you and is probably more relevant if you have a mobile telephone account with them (I do) so that number is my mobile number.

Hi this discussion started some time ago, any idea if they have activated the phone socket on the Modem yet, would be good if they did.
Out of interest I noticed my speed had gone right down the other day but the blue light was on. I rotated the box about 2 cm and the speed shot up to 35 Mb/s so it is worth a bit of fiddling with Speedtest.net to find the optimum angle of the box.

Not as far as I know. We have only just signed up to this service and when we spoke to their tech support people, they said it was ‘work in progress’ which is good news.
Interestingly, they issued us with a mobile telephone number along with the account so perhaps that is a pre-cursor to implementation of the service. Ringing the number does nothing though :cry:

I notice that the speed goes down from time to time but I put that down to the number of ‘contenders’ on the network (the 4G aerial is quite close to a route nationale) and only 1.12km away from us (as the crow flies).
Still considering whether to invest in a directional aerial externally pointing at the 4G mast but since we are consistently getting circa 20 mbps (using fast.com) I’m not convinced yet.
On a Sunday morning the speed can get up to 40 mbps and I put that down to the fact that there are fewer lorries travelling along that stretch of road so fewer ‘contenders’ :slightly_smiling_face:

HI All,

Day after Brexit,…and have come to terms with it. Very happy in France, thankyou!

Also if you are unsure of your status if you have a Carte de Sejours or not for example…read this link!!!

Having lived in France 24 years and work here with my own company…a heavy internet user!!!
My experiences:
No internet supplier is perfect,…but in the past i have thrown Orange out becuase they were expensive and confusing and their Pro service was worse than even their std service. Their boutiques.where they have them…dont bother-
SFR frankyl a bunch of cheating lying swine. I was talked into them by the local SFR boutique, who then provided no service due to lot’s of local upset customers. They promised new antennas in the commercial zones that never arrived and my home internet was unrelaible and I am in the middle of a large town! To make matters worse was bombarded with commercial calls early on Saturday mornings to get a mobile (when I already had a separate pro account,…and get a home box from the other account. The final straw for SFR was after a weekend lying thaat they were re-connecting (did not happen) they called three times on the Monday to give me a “free gift” but would not repond when I asked if this would lock me into another 12 months. This was what they were doing. I cancelled my contracts immediately and went to Bouygues.
Since then when I have a problem they react quickly,… but be aware they use often the same lines as Orange…so they dont have complete control. Since Bouygues,…no harrassing commercial calls,…reliability and frankly much better coverage in the depths of central france brittany paris and frankly all over. I am commercial

Finally regarding the 4G boxes an important point!!! I have just moved to a village where their new optic cables will not be connected for another 12 months and the ADSL is appalling. No pint for fixed line. Bouygues is the ONLY 4G on the village,…and all X TEN BBox 4Gs (unlimited G) have been taken up! They are rationed. So I have taken a contract for a new 4G hi speed “gallette” for 12 months (60G month) at €42 a month till the optic cables come in. Expensive but the only option…and hopefully fast.

So in Summary: if you can get a Bouygues unlimited 4 G box,.and you have 4G network …get it quick before your neighbours do!!! Could save you a fortune!

In sorting all this out if you are patient the Bouygues Customer Services seems to be the best. Particualry if you are nice to them,…they will do their best. Any ranting will not help. e.g. I sorted this on a Saturday…so I opened with " Thankyou for working the Saturday" "
merci d’avoir travaillé le samedi" and they will do their very best.

No, I have no financial connection with Bouygues,…they are just the best of a dubious bunch. This is why my company has ditched Orange and moved to Bouygues. …and Orange cut us off a week before the transfer date in protest, Bouygues then bailed us out with mobile 4G cards!

2 Likes

Oh the Brexit status link

Hi All, I’m thinking of going down the same route with Bouygues, can i ask how much data others use/ which package they are on? thanks in advance.

Best

Mark

There is no limit applied on our basic account with Bouygues 4G (although that wasn’t the case with Orange).

Thank you for the response, may i ask how much you pay for unlimited/ Is it this package: https://www.bouyguestelecom.fr/offres-internet/4g-box

Best

Mark

We pay 24.99 € / month which was a special offer at the time we set up the account and, yes - it’s the same package.
We’ve been extremely happy with the service.

EDIT: 24.99 /month :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Thanks again,

Best

1 Like

We had dreadful ‘service’ from Orange regarding our internet connection speeds. Numerous (over 12 years) calls to the helpline sometimes got an improvement for a few days/weeks, even months but the speed always dropped back to under 1Mb/s.
In Feb. 2017 (I’m pretty sure that was when) A fibre link was made from St Aubin de Cadelech to Razac d’Eymet (my commune). BUT it took 2 years for Orange to actually get the fibre system to Razac up-and-running. I then found that we could get 4g on the Bouygue network. We told Orange we were finishing our contract. We bought a cheap Huawei router and went onto Bouygue’s 20Gb for €4,99 a month + unlim. calls and SMS’s.
We had no fixed phone but all was really good - 30Mb download, 15+Mb upload.

For about 3 months. Then something happened to the signal - I never found out what - and we were getting 30Mb/s one moment, then zero, …up and down, completely unpredictable.

I could not get any sense out of Bouygue - I found it hard to get anyone in the shop to understand (my French is good) - they seem just intent on sales.

So we had to go back to Orange (who had charged €50 to cancel). In that 3 or 4 months, of course, they had connected fibre and we were up to 8Mb or so. (only 8 because we are 2km out of Razac, so there are 2km of copper wires).

That’s where we are now. But I really want to use to the Bouygue network (we still have the router I bought and still use their phone network). From the top bedroom I can see the top of the mast in Eymet - it is 4,2km away. If I can get this sorted again, reliably, I will save €30 a month. OK, I lose the fixed line, but 80 or 90% of the ‘calls’ we get are nuisance calls anyway.

So at last, here is the question.

If I invest in a higher spec. 4g router, will I be likely to again retrieve the signal more consistently? If so, any recommendations as to make/model?

All radio communications depend first and foremost on the antenna - so start there, does the router that you have allow an external antenna to be connected?

We have a Bouygues 4G box which was great to start with but is now crap, we’re ditching that and are going with Sosh which is Orange’s low cost offshoot and we’ll save shed loads each month, obviously it’s possible that things may not improve but it can’t be any worse than what we’ve got now.

My take on this FWIW:
4G is a contended service and in the current lock down situation many are working from home and kids spending time on their play stations that would not normally perhaps.
I’ve noticed a slow down in speed using our B528 series Bouygues 4G router but mainly in the afternoon and evening. I think it symptomatic of the scenario described.
We can’t see our mast which is 1k away in a straight line but there are high trees in the way and these are now starting to come into leaf which might well add to the loss in performance.
So, what to do.
When we used Orange internet, it was tetchy at the very least and rarely achieved and maintained 4Mb.
Not now wishing to throw the baby out with the bathwater I am considering installing an external 4G/5G aerial recommended by Bouygues (of which I have written before) which pairs with the B528 box. But it can’t be done right now because of lock down.
I think “wait and see” as contention resettles to its pre-covid levels before accepting defeat.
Who knows, perhaps 5G will be added to the mast soon and then things should really fly :crossed_fingers:

Thanks Graham. I am ‘independent’ of Bouygue in that I have my own Huawei E5577 (a portable router), which seemed quite good but I have just decided to go up in performance and have a Huawei WS5200 on order. I might put an aerial outside the top window, but not one like you mention. I prefer the smaller rectangular flat plate type, although I am aware that you have to be careful to get some advice, 'cos a lot of them are pretty worthless.

Well, having had a reasonable customer experience of Bouygues and the 4g box offering we are now considering a change.
It would appear that Bouygues have changed something on their ability to access the management of the router - the default password no longer works - and we are locked out of our box which, whilst currently working, if there was a problem we would be well and truly fucked.
The help arrangements with Bouygues used to be really good but they have changed this too sadly. It seems very difficult to get support on this issue and there are a number of threads where others are having the same problem.
So, is it time for change?
I see that SFR and Orange both have 4G options. This is the list of current offers… has anyone any experience of them?

We live about 8K from the exchange Graham, so our speed has always been woeful, +/- 1mb. Then it died altogether and SFR and Orange technicians got into a finger pointing game, so I dumped them.

I looked at the 4G options from suppliers but decided to go my own way. My wife and I each have a €20 a month mobile contract with Free which have 100GB per month allowances. So I bought a TP-Link Archer MR600 on Amazon.fr for €110 and stuck one of our SIMs into it. 10-15 MBPS no problem, even though voice coverage is patchy in our house.

So I took out another contract with Free, bought a second Archer MR600, put it in the study and used that SIM in it. Most of the time my wife’s SIM lives in the first Archer in the salon. We haven’t used our 200GB allowance any month yet, but if we were to come close to it I could use my SIM in either box to give us another 100GB. So, for 60 quid a month we’ve two mobiles and 300 high speed gigs.

Hope that little story is of some interest :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, thanks for that John. I think we’re minded to go the Free way atm if Bouygues don’t get their act together… We have 3 contracts with them - 2 mobiles and the 4G box and all 3 are up for grabs…

Well, it looks like the Free offer is a no-no… it’s only available in places where there is no internet capability currently - and of course we do have internet so we are not eligible for the offer. :slightly_frowning_face:
So then, back to the drawing board.
Just wonder if anyone else has the same issue (unable to log in to their router with 192.168.1.1) and if they found a solution?

Do you get a login screen but the old password doesn’t work or do you get nothing?

Is there a “factory reset” procedure?

Are these notes any help?

https://www.assistance.bouyguestelecom.fr/internet-bbox/installation-bbox/connexion-installation-interface-administration-bbox