Revolut - two questions

I am hoping someone will be kind enough to answer and save my sanity in not having to battle with a chat bot…

1. Can one have a Revolut account in say, euros, keep a healthy balance in it and have FOUR cards attached to the account at zero charge.?
    Reason, if it helps, is that I use Applepay for everything, but fuel pumps are not up to speed with modern living and have not activated the contactless pads on the card machines, so I need to carry a card in each car…

2. If one received money in GBP, I understand that it can be paid straight into a € Revolut account, but the exchange would be made at the prevailing rate.
    Can one have a second, GBP Revolut account, let deposits rack up and then manually transfer to the € account when the exchange rate is more favourable?

Help appreciated!

1. No idea
  2. Yes. You can have multiple currency amounts and make instant transfers between them

This is, of course, answering a question you didn’t ask … but this is SF :rofl:

but a Wise account gives you, in effect, a £ account and a € account (and a $ one, etc) at the same time. You transfer a few quid to it and it sits there until you do the conversion to € (and vice versa).

Thanks Porridge - what you say is useful as I would prefer just one account that will give me a one stop shop. But might you know if I can have multiple cards at no extra charge?

Thanks Brian - I read lots on the internet, yes you can have five cards, but it gets vague when it comes to conditions - most talk of a percentage per transaction, but then I see it is for business use. Maybe I will have to go cap in hand to their bot…

I take it you don’t carry a wallet.

1 Like

Pretty sure you get 3 cards on the free tier, but not certain. You’d only have to pay postage as you can only order basic cards, although I’m not sure if there are 3 basic options so you may have to make a donation to charity or such and get one of the charity ones. My response is a bit vague as I was comped Revolut Metal for a couple of years meaning I have a basic card, a metal card, and a charity card currently active, but I am on the standard (free) tier these days so my situation isn’t typical of either people on a free tier or a premium tier. But I’m pretty sure the answer is 3 physical cards for zero charge (aside from any costs to purchase/ deliver the card which would be a few quid if so). As @_Brian has said, if you have euros in your euro account and you make a euro transaction it will automatically come from that balance. If you don’t have enough/ any euros and you make a euro transaction it will come from whatever currency you do have and be converted using the current rate.

“Digital cards” are free, but I think that’s for use with Apple Pay; physical cards cost 4.50 each.

Nope! An iphone and a few cash bills is all! :yum:

Thanks Kirstestevenson and porridge - I went into their website where the chat-bot will only talk if one has an account!

The FAQs though quite clearly says 6 physical cards for free (yes p&p, but this is ok) and a handful of virtual cards - which as you say is Applepay. It does not state if this is on the Standard free account, or reserved for one of the pay accounts though.

Surfing around, my plight is not unique - someone in a similar situation, has cards scattered around his/her cars, that are de-activated until needed and quickly made live from a few taps on his/her app. Good idea!

It does get me thinking though. I pay a few euros each month for my premier card on Britline that I use everyday as a matter of course, but apart from the convenience of having the card, I do not know what I get for my few euros. If Revolut offers the same thing (plus extra cards for free), maybe I should rethink my whole banking strategy and save a bit of subscription money?

I do see one downside -As far as I can see, money in Revolut is not guaranteed by the AMF…?

It does seem like you’re correct on the 6 now, I just pulled this up from the in-app help! As I say I’ve been with them since the early days so I’m at the point where I just use it and don’t pay too much attention to product development, although back in the day I did enjoy going to their regular events at Rev Towers in London, I expect they’re far too big for things like that these days.

As far as protection, IAAL, but this isn’t legal knowledge :joy: but I think if you’re with Revolut Bank (be it Lithuania, or it’s french branch) you perhaps should be covered under the EU wide scheme… 125k€ maybe? So you’d be covered just via Lithuania instead of France. But as I say, I could be talking complete nonsense here so don’t assume I’m correct and do your own due diligence obviously!

To close this off, you can certainly have five cards as I have just ordered five. First card is free with 7.99 postage, with a charge on each subsequent card of 5.99 set up and 7.99 postage. There is no annual charge. Each card has a five year validity, so they ‘cost’ just under 3€ p.a. Not bad and solves my petrol pump issue :grinning:

4 Likes