Revolute +Problems?

Beware?

3 Likes

Absolutely, the arrival of these quickly set up companies should sound a warning leaving money in these accounts is not a good idea.
Always call the company if there is a problem and never accept the call is from them, hang up and phone the company directly.

1 Like

I echo that @MyfriendLouis @Corona I don’t like Revolut, gut feel maybe :face_with_hand_over_mouth: My wife and I both had accounts and they started asking her for info we thought was OTT, so she dumped them. I’ll dump them too when I get around to it, but neither of us ever left significant funds with them.

OTOH I’m very happy with Wise and we use their cards whenever outside the Euro zone, but we only ever keep it topped up with sufficient funds for a week or so at a time.

Revolut has been around since 2015 so not all that “quickly set up”. But I agree it’s not a good idea to use them as a regular deposit account. That said people have had the same kind of issues with “normal” banks if their bank decides they were negligent in dealing with a scammer.

I keep a small amount of money in my Wise account for convenience when I need to pay for something in dollars for example, and top it up a bit when I go to France so I can use the debit card without incurring currency exchange charges.

In the UK, Wise is licensed as an Electronic Money Institution so they are regulated by the FCA.

There are people on here with far more cyber security knowledge than me and my Brother spent a lifetime in that sector but quick start ups are a bit weired in my mind. During the last few years with investment returns being so low, money people have looked for ways to increase their wealth, the little people are just pawns in their world. Car companies being just one example. You never heard of these purchase your car companies but with a big fancy ad campaign they are on tv, billboards and sponsoring premier league football teams, all whilst beating down a previously agreed price for a car. That has to be a vulture capitalist setup to come from nowhere to everywhere in a few months. All the while people hand over bank details etc etc.

Or prawns in their sandwich :slightly_frowning_face:

It does underline that you need to be alert.

Remember verification codes are not to be read back to anyone - in fact my bank has started putting “do not tell anyone this OTP, not even <bank> staff, if you are asked to share it, it’s a scam” in the text message itself.

The only criticism I have of that is that they then include a number to call if you are concerned - and that’s the other thing one should never do, follow links or use numbers in email or other messages. Always check the helpline number direct on the bank/CC company web site or on your card itself, and always hang up any incoming call and contact the bank yourself.

4 Likes

Remember @John_Scully 's epic thread on the anatomy of the revolut scam? The Irish connection? In the end the woman got her money back (but not sure if from revolut directly, I think it was the Cambodian travel agency who refunded).

1 Like