Rinsing bottles

Thanks Jane. That ice cream carton looks like it would be a good idea for herbs too.

I remember when recycling in our commune first came in I asked this question, specifically about tins, and was told not necessary unless was something really sticky like cassoulet. Not necessary as it was a waste of water.

I avoid rinsing containers, whether plastic or glass whenever possible. Water costs me 2 cents for 10 litres (in the UK with a septic tank) so it adds up to both a cost to me and unnecessary water use over the year. We hear so little on the costs of recycling. What is the value of the reused glass from 100 wine bottles? Is it more or less than the cost of rinsing them out. Any impurities in the bottles will be burnt of when in the furnace.

Iā€™d rather rinse and not attract the local feral cats and rats. Not to mention one small mutt who was a street dog for a time and thinks nothing of pulling out the recycling bin and upending it. Our recycling bins are outside on our veranda since keeping them in the kitchen under the sink (even with lids) just attracted mice.

Too much wildlife round here sometimes!

But we donā€™t use clean water for rinsing stuff like that! We use the dregs of the washing up waterā€¦

2 Likes

Thats around 2x the normal figure?

Thereā€™s no room for common sense on a forum :joy:

1 Like