RIP Michael Gambon

A pretty good Maigret in my opinion.

Very sad to hear the news, pneumonia again, be careful over this season as eyes are on covid and less on seasonal things like pneumonia.

A well-loved actor is almost like a friend of the family… and when one dies, it’s a sad day.
However, as with any death… it is also an opportunity to delve into one’s memory banks (and YouTube in this case) and relive those happy times …

I was brought up with the original Maigret…
and yet I found Michael Gambon managed to fill those shoes very nicely… :+1:

He was in so many films and tv stuff… marvellous… always knew we would enjoy “whatever” if he was in the cast… :+1:

I remember him best for the Dennis Potter tv series, the Singing Detective. A wonderful actor.

1 Like

I watched The Singing Detective again earlier this year having not seen it since it’s original broadcast. Absolutely brilliant writing and screenplay by Dennis Potter and acting by Michael Gambon and Joanne Whalley. And the music !!. I’ll try to unearth some of Potters other works to watch, although I found some of his later stuff not so good, Cold Lazarus in particular.

1 Like

I found Lipstick on your collar on prime video in the US. I think that was the first series where the actors burst into song. A blast from the past. It feels like a very long time ago…

Pennies from Heaven. Also Dennis Potter. Bob Hoskins. 1978.
Lipstick on your collar was brilliant though :+1:

1 Like

In his role as Dumbledore, he was a firm favourite with tattooooo lovers.
I’ve seen a glorious, full colour one of him… almost made me want to be that brave :wink: