Roof Solar Panels

I looked into having photovoltaic panels installed a couple of years ago, and after careful consideration of the mathematics, decided not to go ahead with it.

The salesman’s figures indicated a positive financial return after roughly ten years, but were based on the output of electricity generation from new panels.
My enquiries revealed that the output of the panels slowly decreases over time as they age, and that after about 17 to 20 years they need to be completely replaced.
Having adjusted the calculations to take account of this progressive reduction of output, the cost of cleaning the panels from time to time, the increase in home insurance premiums, and the lost income from the initial capital outlay being expended rather than being invested, it became apparent that the best outcome possible was around the break-even point of recovering the initial installation cost. There was therefore no financial reason for having the panels installed which is why we abandoned the project.

Perhaps these days the latest generation panels last longer and do not loose their output rate so markedly, but I certainly would advise anyone considering having them installed to ask a lot of questions and to do the maths themselves rather than relying on figures given by the installer.
I accept entirely that solar power is emission free and is desirable on those grounds, but I remain highly sceptical of there being any real long term financial benefit to an individual householder. To my mind it is better to concentrate resources on improving insulation, producing home heating more efficiently, and installing a better management system of whatever heating method is chosen.

1 Like

Yes, of course, it is very important to reduce our need for electricity in the home, which we can quite easily do (to a degree).

It was not only the figures that I was warning against…

Apart from the need to completely understand the wording…
I forgot to warn against a Client signing any contract/order where there is more than one piece of paper ie. pages one underneath another in a pack (albeit a slim one).

They are carbon-paper-less these days… but would have needed carbon-paper between the pages in the olden days… and I believe such packs have been outlawed now… but, just in case… everyone needs to be aware and refuse to sign if such a multi-copy pack is presented.

Modern technology is amazing… and there will be great solutions to our Energy needs, offered by truly reputable companies…but they are not suitable for every situation.

It is just a case of considering everything carefully and not being swept along by the enthusiasm of the Salesman etc.

1 Like

Mark, I think that the topic is mainly geared at solar PV so I can’t see the heating aspect on that and it would be far cheaper to re design the pool filtration system to use less energy than add solar PV to power an expensive to run inefficient system.

Maybe, but it all requires electricity. Running a pump and pomp a chaleur is at least 2kw/hr. PV makes sense to me, especially as these are needed during daylight hours.

But I’m no pool expert.

Hi Mark, the cost of the PV setup to achieve this could be prohibitive, running a 2kw heat pump with the high motor start up current would require even more panels, larger inverter and with only 50% of the required daylight output to power everything it would be more efficient to use solar thermal to heat the pool. I may go solar PV on my pool pump just to demonstrate its capability but there probably would never be a payback as I only spend around €30 a season on electricity

Fair enough, would love to get my electric bill reduced to that. We run a pool, heat pump and a hot tub in the summer,and with the 2 gites our consumption is horrendous.

Hi Mark, can’t help with the cost of running the heat pump but the pool could be reduced if you are interested? Cost depends on the setup you have now but saving 90% of the electricity or better.

Hi John
We have an above ground wooden pool, about 40m3 with the standard sand filter set up. Always interested in trying to reduce costs!

Hi Mark, well the short pipe runs normally available on above ground pools will help but any idea on the size (Dia) of your sand filter and being an above ground pool it’s probably a top mounted valve?

The sand filter is about 50 cm diameter, and the valve is on the top. What is the principle of getting this energy reduction (different pump?)?

Hi Mark, the principal is reducing frictional loss, any requirement to change the pump is to maximise the benefit of that frictional loss. Maximising the system potential brings better water quality easier maintenance and cash savings, on a setup like yours 95% saving on electricity about 2 tons of CO2 reduction per year

did anyone get an installation done in the end? I am about the start the process of finding the best solution. The additional benefit in my case is that the integrated solutions mean, that the roof will be done new too.

Any further info on this topic would be HUGELY appreciated (i.e. is EDF’s offer any good).
Cheers,

Wolfgang

What are you looking at doing Wolfgang?
I would be interested to hear how you get on with EDF; I too have a roof that needs working on. If the work can be combined with a solaire installation that would help share the cost.
We have a barn with about 130m sq of roof on each side. I want to replace the asbestos corrugated roof, which will be expensive enough. One side faces directly south and seems to be a great place for PV panels.
It seems hard to find someone to talk to face to face. There are many sales lines who are chasing the government’s grants.

Take a look at the Tesla roof panels, stronger than conventional whilst generating power.