Roofer looking for work

Yeah I fully understand thanks for all your input :pray::blush:

Final comment then, if you genuinely do already have your working visa application in, it would be crazy to risk it being annulled because you have been caught abusing your 90 day tourist waiver.

The labour and SME/artisan situation in France is highly regulated. Iā€™m not sure how the voluntary sector arranges things for non-EU people but it is impossible to undertake paid work or volunteer without the appropriate visa.

To get a work visa as a 3rd nation citizen you have to have the sponsorship of an employer, who must be prepared to state that they could find no suitable EU candidate, or a business plan and start-up funding in place. Itā€™s no longer easy for a Brit to come to France and work.

Indeed, no antipathy to Enchano86 is intended - but, as others have pointed out, it would be all too easy to turn a difficult situation into a nightmare, and not just for him.

1 Like

Its worse than that if we are really honest.
As another member pointed out, her late husband sweated blood and tears to be legit as a builder in France and to pay all his tax and cotisations but to allow or encourage anyone to do less is a disservice to the memory of her husband.
There are other members too on SF who have done everything right to be registered and will be equally offended by this.
If that is what it takes to be brutally honest about the situation, then this has to be it. Nothing less will do.

2 Likes

I wish you the very best of luck - I hope you manage to plot a course that works for you. It might be worth putting in the effort to regularise your position in France as it can be a great place to live. Perhaps start by getting a work visa and registering as an odd-job man rather than a trade that demands a high level of French qualification such as roofing. Once youā€™re here legally you can build up a network - and your qualifications.

Bon chance, mon amiā€¦

1 Like

Hit the nail on the head there :pray:

Every single time someone comes on with the idea of working the first thought of the members is self employed .The guy is looking for a temporay job ,sign up to an agency get a few weeks work then move on.
Orientate the guy towards what he is looking for

1 Like

You would be liable anyway for employing someone not en situation rĆ©guliĆØre.

1 Like

No visa, not possible.

3 Likes

I doubt that would work tbh. He doesnā€™t have the legal right to be employed

1 Like

But no agency can employ him, itā€™s not legally possible.
It keeps coming back to the same thing. Brits do not have the automatic right to work in France.

3 Likes

As I and others have pointed out, this is simply not possible in his situation.

His best bet, sad though it might be, is a ticket home.

3 Likes

Hasnā€™t he said is visa is on the way.

So he has to wait for it to be valid and be legally ok before he can be employed.

I am trying to orientate the guy ā€¦ he is a tourist.
he needs to contact authorities, report the scam and loss of his funds. He will be assisted/advised by those authorities.
A tourist visa does not allow working in any formā€¦
he risks losing future access to France if he takes employment whilst a ā€œvisitor/touristā€ā€¦
he needs to wait until he receives a Visa granting him the right to workā€¦ the he can look for employmentā€¦ but not until.

1 Like

Imagine you are in a car crash with someone who then turns out to be sitting their test next week. Are they allowed to drive by themselves? Are they insured? Are they sure they will pass the test and actually get a licence?
No, no and no.

He did, but how?

The catch-22 is that without a visa he canā€™t get a job, but without a job he canā€™t get a visa. This is normally handled by having a sponsor who will offer you a job before you get the visa, and you then use the job offer to apply. Your sponsor really has to want your skills because it is bureaucratic hassle. Obviously a decent number of people do get jobs this way but that doesnā€™t seem to be the situation here.

There are other ways, of course. You could get a visa to set up a business but AFAIK that would need a business plan and start-up funding to be in place.

And, yes, you can get visas to cover voluntary work but, again, the agreement to volunteer has to be in place first.

Itā€™s just not simple any more.

2 Likes

from what Iā€™ve read - he hasnā€™t even applied for one yetā€¦

All Iā€™ll say is you donā€™t know the construction industry

Is it full of crooks who ignore the law then? All the builders roofers stonemasons etc I have employed have been registered insured en rĆØgle etc and I thought that would be the case for most. Those who arenā€™t get the book thrown at them fairly hard, at least they do round here.

1 Like