RSI -what powers do they have and how do we know if we are being over charged?

I've got a good 2 or 3 weeks, Brian, so I'm hoping the 'Free' debacle will settle a bit and the prices will level out. I might get a reasonable deal then, as I'm after a TV/internet/phone package (unless I get everybody on Skype but I think my old mum would rebel). Once the internet connection is in, my 'office' will be up and running again. Going to be mayhem sorting this out long distance but I'm a stubborn beeatch so hopefully at least something will be ready to instal just after we arrive.

I mentioned Orange because I know the ran a service to the house before. Reliability is more important to me. Who would the top 1 or 2 be?

I need to find out what all these abbreviations stand for - CFE and RSI. Crikey. I've a lot of work to do!

ISPs right now - wait if you can because the battle began in the last few days and prices will fall. It all helps since recovering expenses is not going to happen as you imagine.

Thanks Andrew. It seems to be the best route for me - AE with a nominal income, no expenses apart from a laptop as and when necessary and a portion of the electricity (if that's admissible). And a couple of reams of paper. That's about it really - everything is done online, including invoicing (which I print out anyway). Thank you so much for the advice. I think I can register as an AE online but will suss that out, probably before I leave here as I won't have internet until I speak nicely to Orange or whoever.

Many thanks to both you and Finn.

thank you Lynn...COULD BE HELPFUL

Sorry if I am repeating, but the RSI do have a moderateur. I had problems at the end of 2008 - it took 3 years to resolve but we won in the end. Check out your particular RSI website it should be indicated somewhere there.

good to know ;-)

Didn't go direct Finn but it was back in 2009 and the CIPAV refused to take me, via the URSSAF, saying they wouldn't take AEs. Been with the RSI and apart from the first year constantly having to explain to the URSSAF and RSI what the scheme was and why I didn't have to pay this that and the other everything's cushdy!

Just bare in mind what Finn says and his examples of high expenses - I don't think it'll be your case at all if you work along the same lines as me (a laptop and a few bits and bobs) but have a look anyway ;-)

Yes, hit the nail on the head. That is where both my wife and I hit the rocks at first. We both do the same thing but have different NAF codes though. Freelance social researcher is a common enough occupation in France but nobody has told URSSAF yet!

Yes and what's more the CIPAV who whould take prof libérale refuse to take AE so I'm with the RSI...

Yes it's not a one size fits all but if Valerie is working from home doing translation and proofreading work I can't see a better answer...

An auto entrepreneur I will be then - many thanks Andrew. The simpler the better.

It's an interesting thread. Yes, as Andrew says 18 to 21% from URSSAF, here I 'give them' 20% and nowadays they ask no questions and I seem to get a bit back. There is a game with no apparent rules, but they are there and simply hard for us to see them all in one go so that WE can get it all right for them, which is what they really expect.

However, I am wondering how many of you were self employed in the UK? I was roughly 95% of my working time for the last eight years there. I had battles nonstop. Going to a UK tax office is unlike any experience you have here since one gets an 'adviser' who never advises anything but just 'tells' everything from their angle. When we had a second child and I needed to sort out allowances I actually had one person ask me whether I had considered the implications before my wife and I had her! I was made to feel guilty and an inconvenience for being self employed. I do not cheat or duck and weave to avoid anything, but simply want things straight. After fighting it out we seem to have that here. In the UK not at all, indeed they assumed that because I was self-employed I was on the fiddle and tried to get information about my earnings and expenses beyond my accounts that were completed to the letter/penny. When my wife started to do a bit of consultancy whilst working they asked her (really!!) if having a well paid job was not enough? At least here, one is self employed there are the thresholds which define more or less one's status, there is a bit of horse trading and then to round it off one might quote Finn quoting the Cheshire cat...

Wise words as ever Finn and a thorough explanation for those who have heavy expenses - another way round that is to get the client to pay for materials etc direct (most ae artisan seem to do that in my area) to keep the sceme worthwhile. I'm 100% prof libérale so apart from a new laptop every couple of years and a bit of travelling it works out well for me compared to other schemes. Not sure it's such a good idea when there's a lot of expenditure and overheads involved but it wasn't designed for that either!

Last paragraph is so true and it often takes anglosaxons years to realise how things really work, often when it's too late as seems to be Beverly's case.

...Thanks Finn....much appreciated ....as I said..25 years in (very small time) declared business here..and I still can't work out the French administration: (who can??)....sound advice you have given...keep on with the good work...encore grand' merci !!!

Hi Beverly, This discussion was "tweeted" to my Linked In home page. If you already know what follows do please ignore it - I have no wish to state the obvious.

If you haven't done so already you should see a Notaire asap and arrange a déclaration d’insaisissabilité. The details on what this does and how it works are available at the following link:

http://www.notaires.fr/notaires/en/immunity-of-property-from-seizure

Whether this will help protect you against the existing demand you have had from RSI I couldn't say but it will certainly give protection from the date it is signed.

My accountant advised this when I was starting up here and also noted that cotisations are one of the biggest sources of business failure. A Notaire will not charge a huge fee for this and I believe it makes sense for anyone starting a business.

Thanks Andrew..very reassuring..I assume that Finn's 45% was for businesses that go over the AE ceiling....

Hi Valerie...I think that the basic(and simple...by French standards!!) auto entrepreneur sceme is the easiest..but on waiting for a reply from Finn...or others....don't count on it. Best advice...take good advice and take your time before registering a business over here...best of luck...

12% for commerce and an 83 200 euro ceiling, between 18 and 21% for services etc with a 33 300 ceiling - was charges the higher rate by the URSSAF in the Cantal 21% and the lower rate in the Aveyron - proof that no one knows what they're doing!

Valerie, they're both entreprise individuel but the auto entrepreneur has loads of advantages over the réel statue - I'm a freelance translator too (and freelance teacher) and it's the best bet by a long way for us ;-) plus the site is excellent and everything can be done online!

Hi Jon and Finn,

I'm very interested in the reply to this - I was wondering whether it should maybe be a separate discussion away from Beverly's plight so as not to distract from it. I've been sitting researching what I should 'enrol' myself as when we move over next month and am extraordinarly confused between Enterprise Individuelle, AE and the various other connotations. Some advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

A very confused freelancer.