Running Linux on older/restricted hardware

Alex Thurgood suggested (above) that modern OS’s, even Linux, no longer run well on modest hardware. Of course the R Pi runs Linux and manages to do so well even on the Pi 3 which only has 1GB RAM.

I am, as you might have observed from previous posts, fairly fond of Linux - though I do maintain Windows machines for my own use as well as that of my family (as an aside I just upgraded the last machine from W7 to W10 and can confirm this can still be done “for free”).

But I think Linux is still able to keep older hardware going better than Windows can - here are a couple of the older machines in my “stable” that run Linux.

To be fair even my “new” machines are a bit on the old side being “8th generation” CPUs - Coffee Lake is now 2½ years old and we are on 10th generation chips. Also AMD has caught up performance-wise which makes things much more interesting,

The first “old” machine is this one

Asrock H81M-ITX, i3-4370 CPU and 8G of DDR3 SDRAM.

To be fair this is a fairly uninspiring but pretty modern system despite dating from 2013, it is running Fedora 32 (booted from a 128GB USB3 flash drive) and, with the Sapphire graphics card will drive my 3440x1440 monitor to full resolution and has no real problem with filling the screen when playing back video.

Frankly this card should have no problem running Windows 10 and will take up to an i7 4790k and 16GB memory so arguably it is not “resource limited”.

Next up is a much older motherboard

A Commell LV677 “industrial” board - 2006 era with a dual core T2500 mobile socket 478 CPU. Running Fedora 30 booted from a 64G compact flash drive. 4GB of RAM.

This card is recognisably “modern” - it has PCIe, takes DDR2 SDRAM up to 4GB (of which 3GB is available to the OS), has on board graphics (albeit with only a D-Sub connector), S-ATA, USB2.0, on board audio but the T2500 CPU is a 32-bit CPU (the board will take some 64-bit CPU’s I believe).

This presents a bit of a problem because a lot of modern Linux distributions are dropping support for 32-bit CPUs - Fedora 30 is the last version that had support for i686 and it is now beyond its end of life however there are several distributions (including Centos) which are still being maintained and offer 32-bit x86 support.

Full HD playback is possible on this machine, but it does struggle a bit however it is fine for web browsing and word processing.

Moving down the scale a bit the firewall runs on a PC Engines APU2 board

This has a dual core AMD G series T40E 1GHz APU, 4GB RAM, 3 Ethernet ports, somewhat annoyingly1 no graphics so runs “headless” which is fine for a router. This one has Scientific Linux 7 install (a Centos variant) - a bit slow but perfectly OK for the task in hand and if I need a GUI it runs a VNC server well enough.

One thing to note is that all of these have at least 4GB of ram - which is really the minimum necessary for decent performance (and arguably negates any of these systems as significantly “resource limited”). But, then, modern R Pi’s can have up to 8GB.

I bought the H81M-ITX because I realised that the LV677 really did not have the cojones for the sort of temporary system work I wanted it for and it arrived with 2GB which was useless, barely enough to run a modern GUI (though it might have been OK with something lightweight like Xfce) - in fact even adding the graphics card freed up enough system memory to make a huge difference in usability.

It is also a 64-but processor so should be able to run any modern Linux distribution pretty much without restriction.

Finally, this ancient beast

This is an Abit VP6 - a dual processor board dating from 2001 or so. I don’t actually have any version of Linux running on this at the moment but might set myself the challenge.

I doubt this will be easy - for starters it only has 512MB of RAM though its dual 1GHz CPUs should, in theory, give about the same performance as the APU2.

Despite only being about 5 years older than the LV677 is is noticeably not a modern board. No creature comforts such as on board graphics, no on board audio (despite being supported by the Southbridge), it has 2 USB 1.1 ports but no support in the BIOS for booting from USB devices (I’m not even totally sure the BIOS can use a USB keyboard for configuration), no SATA, no PCIe - just an AGP slot for the graphics card (I found an equally ancient Matrox card for it which I suspect is what I had on this motherboard the last time it was actually in a system). It does, however, have a RAID controller which was a bit radical back then.

Sadly I need to do a bit of hardware work before trying to power this board up - I had hoped to avoid it but Abit was well known for using rubbish capacitors and I can see that a couple are a bit bloated and will need replacement.

Finally, somewhere I have an old AT motherboard with (I think) an original Pentium. That will be a real challenge as at least the dual Pentium-III’s have the i686 “P6” architecture but classic Pentiums are i586 and almost no modern distributions have support for i586, i486 or i386 CPUs.

Watch this space :slight_smile:

1] it is annoying because the T40E has an integrated GPU and the board seems to be laid out for graphics and has space for an HDMI connector but the hardware is not there.
2 Likes

I had a very similar board to your Abit VP6 back in the day (the layout certainly rings a bell), with a Matrox Millenium graphics card. At one point, I had OS/2 and a few versions of Caldera Linux running on it.

My knowledge is a bit out of date, since I have been happily running Ubuntu on a Lenovo T60 for several years.
But I do somewhere have a Puppy Linux disk which can run entirely in RAM on very low spec machines and was a very useful tool for data recovery.

Fascinating trawl through history there Paul, thanks.
Unlike you, I binned most of my old original machines when moving on.
I started with the black Sinclair “doorstop” shaped ZX81 to which I attached an after market Memopak 64k storage device which hung off the back (known as wobbly ram) a tape recorder for “mass” storage and a thermal printer. For entertainment a colleague and I wrote something like Monopoly which took upwards of 20 minuted to load from tape and it wasn’t until the tape ended that you would know for sure if the wobbly ram had ended the upload or not. The thermal printer paper listing of the program was almost as long as a loo roll!
Then progressed to the twin floppy BBC Micro which I used, amongst other things, to write a spreadsheet to calculate employee costs during pay negotiations in the NHS. My office was opposite the conference room where these were taking place and claims by the Trades Union reps about the cost of staffing levels could be countered within minutes which helped matters along greatly!
Then came various iterations of PC starting with the twin floppy IBM PC and more capable facilities now long gone in the bin. Halcyon days indeed…

Ah, I’d forgotten Caldera - I think I might have had that on a machine somewhere but I mainly started with Slackware (which I see is still going) and then progressed to RedHat.

I’ve binned quite a few along the way as well :slight_smile:

But I still have a slew of other older, often SFF, kit kicking around including an Acer Revo 3600 and a 3700 (which is in France at the moment). The file server over there is an Asus P8H77-I Mini-ITX board with an i7-3770 CPU, my newest laptop (also en France as it lives there these days) is a Clevo N170SD (i7-4720HQ) - that dual boots W10 or Fedora.

I even have 2 old Sun workstations (a Sun Blade 150 and an Ultra 5) - they were working when I put them on the shelf but it might be a challenge to get them going now :slight_smile:

I had another Blade 100 and a 50MHz micro-Sparc clone at one point but I think they did go to the tip about 10 years ago.

One thing which strikes me looking at this set of motherboards is the degree of change from 2001 to 2006 is, in many ways, much more marked than the subsequent 14 years.

The VP6 has just the earliest hint of some modern features - the inclusion of a RAID controller for instance (though the HPT370 was notoriously unreliable) and USB but is still a PCI based design - PCIe being two years away at that time and the board had very little integrated I/O - in fact less than the Southbridge actually supported (as it included an AC97 audio interface). PnP and ACPI also make an appearance although there are still options in the BIOS to define the IRQ and port numbers for the serial and printer interfaces.

Just 5 years later we have PCIe, multi-core 64-bit CPUs, integrated graphics and sound, SATA, onboard LAN, solid state drives (the LV677 has a CF slot on the reverse of the board but it is very slow, which is why I have the CF card on a Mini-PCI slot on that board).

To be honest, apart from a couple of things that did not really catch on (FireWire for instance) and the presence of a PS/2 keyboard (although a PS/2 interface still occasionally crops up on new motherboards) you will see much the same list if you go out and buy a board today. Plug a modern PCIe card into the board and it will probably work - slowly - but it should work and the same goes for SATA or USB devices.

2001 → 2006 brought distinct, incompatible, change, 2006 → 2020 has refined what is on offer but not fundamentally changed it. This is probably a good thing because it means older hardware is still viable. My son’s PC, which has a P8Z68 motherboard and an i7-4790k (now 6 years old) CPU was not keeping up with his increased interest in gaming but a new graphics card sorted that without having to scrap the whole machine.

as we’re talking history…

I think I’d rather forget it though :grin:

1 Like

I actually thought about seeing if I still had a copy of W2k to put on the VP6 but that will have to be shelved as I have managed to fry the motherboard on my secondary Windows machine.

Turns out that a USB C plug will fit into a USB A socket - this was not what I intended  to do, especially as it shorts the pins in the socket and does no-one any favours. I wouldn’t have minded so much but the PC was turned off at the time (but, it seems, at least some of the USB ports remain powered).

Rather an expensive mistake, but any playing with ancient hardware will have to take a back seat.