S1 exemption on Social charges - no longer since Brexit?

Are you sure - there were a number of post about this issue I think belgium was mentioned and I’m sure someone posted they had a small french pension and a UK S1. I might be completely wrong though!

And you can’t have an S1 as your wife’s partner / family member?

I have no doubt that had I not disclosed my French pension to the S1 people when answering their question I would have past the test and got an S1 as perhaps some have done but in this case honestly is the best policy as it would surely come back to bite.

For the same reason of having a french pension.

Hope so as now made a RDV for next week at CPAM.

Yep, next move after visiting CPAM when hopefully in addition to sending the fisc a copy of S1 we will have a piece of paper from CPAM to give them.

All done, 5 copies taken and filed, I love tactile paperwork!

1 Like

When OH got his S1 (and I got one as beneficiary) all we had to do once the S1 had been copied and handed to CPAM was ‘mise à jour’ our cards in local pharmacy.

Our codes de gestion did change.

Once this is all in place send a message to impôts through your messagerie for a reclamation. But don’t hold your breath. We are still waiting several years and regular reminders later.

1 Like

Your wife may have to mettre à jour her card next time she uses it after CPAM have updated their records.
Apologies if someone has already said this, the posts are rather long for a elderly bear of little brain to take in!

3 Likes

A quick google of “uk healthcare s1 abroad rules” immediately brought up NHS healthcare abroad site confirming your position and my being completely wrong.

“If you receive both a pension from the country you now live in and your UK State Pension, you cannot get an S1 form. This is because the country you live in will be responsible for your healthcare.”

The next paragraph likely relates to what I had read re. IIRC the belgian mention, it was probably a poster with a UK pension and small belgian pension living in France. Apologies.

“If you receive your UK State Pension as well as a pension from an EU member state, but are now living in a different EU state, the country to which you paid contributions toward your pension for the longest period becomes responsible for your healthcare.”

Thought I should update process of S1.
Visited CPAM end of June and presented my wife’s SI.
Told that they had a specific person who dealt with them and we would hear from them in due course.
2 weeks ago got a letter and new attestation confirming S1 registered and backdated to date when my wife became eligible for OAP.
Alerted our accountant and sent them a copy. Our 2021 tax return has been amended and accepted by Perigueux so now 800 less euros social charges.
The change in gestion number was seamless so carte vitale carried on working.
After receiving S1 went on line to apply for UK EHIC and got an automated reply advising not yet registered please try later. 2 weeks ago tried again this time for a GHIC and received same response.
Today got 2 emails from UK advising both EHIC and GHIC approved and were on their way by post!!!
So all in all a smooth and very quick transition although I still can’t get my head around the yes/no no/yes with the EHIC and GHIC application.
Thanks to all for your input and advice.

1 Like

we both have S1’s and applied for E/GHICs ages ago with a response accepted would be sent but nada - nothing from the septic isle so have abandoned the idea.
No intentions of visiting anyway, so no big deal for us.

Wasn’t there supposed to be some amazing list of countries around the world a GHIC is supposed to be valid in? I didnt really see any when I looked late last year… Switzerland was the only new one, I think

1 Like

It is rather a mess as there are old EHICs which have not expired, GHICs and new UK-issued EHICs (which are the cards issued to S1 holders in the EU before 1 January 2021).
I think this is correct?
The GHIC and old EHIC are valid for fewer countries ( an EU country, Switzerland, Montenegro) so cannot be used in Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.
A UK-issued EHIC can be used in an EU country, Montenegro, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland

All is explained on this web page Healthcare for UK nationals visiting the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland - GOV.UK

This page Where can I use a UK Global Health Insurance Card (UK GHIC) or UK European Health Insurance Card (UK EHIC)?  · Customer Self-Service
mentions A UK GHIC may become valid in more countries in the future.

Update…
OP here - 18 months on and I can report … success!

Notaire and assistant proved to be fairly useless - dragged it out for months before saying nothing they could do.

Applied through local Impots office with attached details and references quoting all the above bits gathered from your helpful links; the “problem” was shifted to Normandie Impots who, after much back and forth, finally agreed. The refund (plus interest) received several weeks later.

Proves to be persistant/patient!

Many thanks to all for your help.

3 Likes

How nice to have positive feedback… so glad it turned out well for you.