S1 health cover

I have just received the following email from Overseas Health Care Services:-

"Please accept this email as confirmation that an S1 certificate of entitlement has been sent to your overseas address. You will also receive information about how to register your S1 with the local authorities.

We would advise you to obtain private medical insurance to help with the cost of any treatment you may need before your S1 is registered. Please do not wait until you need treatment as you may be charged costs that cannot be refunded.

If your circumstances change it is important that you let us know. The information we’ve sent you with your S1 gives more detail about this."

Have any other immigrants from the UK received this I wonder, we have been in the “S1 system” for 10 years now have a Carte Vitale and Mutuelle all working fine. Is this sheer bureaucratic incompetence or is there something more sinister at work?

Is it personalized to you… does it mention your name… or is it a random email…

How do they have your email address ?? they certainly don’t have mine… :thinking:

Potentially a scam email?

Seems genuine but I do remember somewhere in the fog of time there was a reported scam using a similar name… Can’t remember the details now though.
NHSBSA
That said, looking at the OP, he says Overseas Health Care Services - is that a typo or was it actually Healthcare Services?

@david_watson - I received the same email two weeks ago. However, 7 months ago I applied for a form S1 in my own right as I now receive a UK State Pension and, prior to this, had been in the french health system by virtue of my husband’s S1. My form S1 arrived last week. If you haven’t applied for any such form then one can only assume incompetence on the part of the Overseas Healthcare Service.

1 Like

Sorry I should have copied the entire email which is here;-

Dear David Watson

Please accept this email as confirmation that an S1 certificate of entitlement has been sent to your overseas address. You will also receive information about how to register your S1 with the local authorities.

We would advise you to obtain private medical insurance to help with the cost of any treatment you may need before your S1 is registered. Please do not wait until you need treatment as you may be charged costs that cannot be refunded.

If your circumstances change it is important that you let us know. The information we’ve sent you with your S1 gives more detail about this.

Please do not reply directly to this email. The mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response.

If you do not receive your S1 within 15 working days of this email, or if you have any queries, please email nhsbsa.ohsregistrations@nhs.net or call +44191 218 1999.

Yours sincerely

Overseas Healthcare Services

NHS Business Services Authority

I’ve checked the email adress and telephone number and they are genuine.
Joyce you may be right although I haven’t applied for a S1 I have been in the S1 system via my wife but received my first state pension this March so this may well be my own personal S1. Thankyou for that I’ll await the arrival of said letter.

1 Like

Aha… so that might well explain things… a change in your circumstances. :wink: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I don’t know if it is relevant David but I’ve had an S1 from Ireland for seven years. I wanted to add my wife to it and it took a little time to arrange that. She needed to have a “dependent persons” pension, no matter how small, to qualify. I applied last week and was told that the joint S1 would be issued for only one year and that I would need to apply annually. My original S1 was open ended.

Over the last ten years have you had to apply annually?

Tory intentions re: NHS becoming clearer.

Obviously removal of S1 is a pre-requisite to insurers coming in.

1 Like

Shameful.
Why would you hand a razor blade to a self harming nutter?