S1 v Carte Vitale benefits

Hi
Its finally happening- I get my UK State Pension next year. Ive been here six years now and have held a CarteVitale for most if that time, paying into a mutuelle each month for co-payment and hospital charges. Are there any particular additional benefits then, to getting an S1?

You donā€™t pay cotisation sociale on income.

1 Like

Sweeping statement!
On all income?
Yes it applies to UK rental income but not sure about all.

On earned income and pensions, yes. Not savings

Have you worked in France during the 6 years you have lived here?
An S1 is only granted when reaching OAP age if you last worked in UK.

However, if you are granted an S1 my statement is, as far as I know, still true.

@JaneJones is usually well clued up on S1 benefits

Actually, I noticed with the S1 declared on my tax return my little France interest was taxed at the 7.5% social levy rate, as well as the UK interest - happy to check that if anyone thinks different.

I think itā€™s having the S1 that kicks in the 7.5% social rate for interest, not the fact that the interest is ā€˜foreignā€™ - coz I forgot to declare the UK interest on my 2047, but the calculation was as per the 7.5% rate.

So, on savings s1 (France) tax rate is 20.3% overall rather than 30%.

I completely agree there, @Larkswood. What I meant was that ā€œearned incomeā€ attracts no cotisation sociale whereas savings do, albeit as you quite rightly say, at a reduced rate. I am most grateful for the concessions afforded by my S1 :smiley:

Thanks to all - something else to put on the ā€œto doā€ list!
F

Good luck with getting a S1. I heard they will no longer be issued for those living outside the UK in France. But could only be gossip.

1 Like

https://faq.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/knowledgebase/article/KA-01285/en-us

I was sent this link when I enquired this morning: as I read it, you can apply for an S1 if you have only worked in the UK.

F

2 Likes

I get UK state pension but because I worked here in France, I do not get an S1 as am under the CPAM system where I paid contributions into as with pensions here too. Many brits get an S1 because they have retired to France or never worked here.

2 Likes

Correct.

1 Like

It depends on which is your ā€œcompetent stateā€. The rules on that are pretty clear. Iā€™ve worked in France, the UK and Ireland and receive state pensions from all three but it was decided that Ireland was my competent state and they issued an S1 and pick up the tab for my (and my wifeā€™s) carte vitale.

I understand that, if the UK is your competent state, then France will expect you to get an S1 to continue with your carte vitale.

1 Like

It is.

2 Likes

I have looked at all the usual web pages re C.V.s/mutuelles est but I canā€™t find ā€¦

I donā€™t know what ā€˜Carte Vitale non acceptĆ©eā€™ means on a Drā€™s Doctolib page.

Do you have to [already] have a ā€˜mutuelleā€™ before applying for ā€˜ComplĆ©mentaire santĆ© solidaireā€™ ?

It means what it says! A completely private doctor who isnā€™t linked to the State systemā€¦ (avoid like the plague :rofl:)

CORRECTED! Iā€™ve just learned that that isnā€™t quite right. It means that they donā€™t/canā€™t use the actual card so one would have to pay in full at the time, but can claim it back from CPAM or most of it anyway, using the forms. So sorry to mislead :blush:

2 Likes

No. It is specifically for people on low incomes who donā€™t have/canā€™t afford a mutuelle.

Agree with Angela re not accepting CVs. You still get same reimbursement eventually, just have to send in the brown feuille de soins,

1 Like