Saffron Picking

At this time of year it's great to see some of the more unusual harvests going on around us. Today was no exception. We went to our local cafe for a chocolat chaud or two, after our morning stroll (trying to kick start No2 into coming out on Halloween - not looking like it worked) and ended up helping out with the saffron harvest.

Every year a small association in our village harvests thousands of Saffron flowers to sell. Today's harvest was around 6300 flowers. Imagine from every single flower 3 strands of the luminous red saffron are extracted by hand & then dried in a dehumidifier.

It's fun getting involved in something like this & it was actually really relaxing too. Our little one was helping out by eating the flowers (they are edible, lovely in salad).

The other day some friends brought over a harvest of chestnuts & a jar of Creme de Marron they had prepared earlier in the week from last weeks harvest & they were telling us of the huge Cepes their daughter (5) had found after the rainfall. I said we need to train our little one to look for truffles, although I think we'd have the same problem as with pigs...she'd probably eat them!

www.UK4Me.co.uk

UK Stores Delivering Overseas