Satellite v. Internet Hilarity

I know that many on here have followed, and advised, on my struggle with a new tablet and bedtime music and I seemed to be enmeshed in a parallel universe at the moment.

For the last 2 nights Spotify and the tablet have worked perfectly in tandem in that my music plays me to sleep and then everything shuts down for the rest of the night.

At the same time, or in fact for longer, my satellite sourced radio and tv have been playing up in the morning. No matter what the weather conditions, radio 4 totally refuses to work and all I get is a No Signal on the screen. So, hoping that my tablet/Spotify would settle down and therefore make the internet radio in the bedroom redundant, I brought it into the living room to tide me over each morning till the Freesat box woke up.

Usually though I can get radio 4 to work on the satellite by hopping channels up and down till it gets the message. This morning, nothing would work, so I switched to BBC1 tv, and it worked. :astonished: So I took the opportunity to go through the programme guide for the rest of the day. Somehow, because I had switched it off when the tv appeared, the internet radio suddenly burst into life, not where it had been set on Radio 4, but on Nostalgie, the French radio station and much much louder, so the poor bloke on Good Morning (or whatever they call it) was drowned out by ear busting pop music. :rofl:

I switched everything off and started again, and there was Radio 4 as clear as a bell, one hour and 25 minutes after the initial attempt. :upside_down_face:

I won’t ditch the dish but use it as a back up in future, because I have ordered an internet radio and tv receiver which I hope will arrive soon in the New Year.

But if it all begins to work perfectly I will miss the hilarious antics of my modern world. :joy:

Poor David, you do seem to be cursed by the techno gremlins… hope they give it a rest during the festive season at least!

David - while your son is with you, would it be worth him examining your IT setup and working out a plan of how to do what with which gadget?

2 Likes

Well, one way and another I am seeing and hearing what I want to and, as Davey is leaving again tomorrow with the kids, I prefer not to start something that I might regret once he’s gone.

I am sure he knows all this stuff, he teaches it for heaven’s sake, but he does tend to over think my understanding of such things.

For example the other day he went for a walk when I called in to announce I was on my way to the river field to walk Jules. While I was there I got a text which just said ‘Hi Papi’ (the kids call me that and he is used to using it when talking to them about me :roll_eyes:), and I replied immediately ‘down the river field, where are you?’ no reply so when we got back to the car and connected to the radio I called again to ask where he was. No answer to the ringing tones. Called in briefly at the house and the grandkids said ‘he came back and went out again’. So I drove home and a short while later saw a message from him on the computer which made it obvious that he had been calling me on Facebook, not texting to my phone. He assumes because he has a smart phone that I carry the internet around with me. :astonished: :rofl:

Mind you when it comes to card games he is as much at sea as I am. The four of us settled down to Cluedo, but with cards, not a board. It was clear that he and I could not understand most of what it was all about and Kerenza began the very complicated instructions, often interrupted by Xavi when he thought she was going wrong, and then we started playing. It was hilarious, the confusion, brought to a head when Renzi shouted ‘I accuse’ and then Xavi disagreed which led to a long discussion and the discovery that she had made some fundamental mistake or other. Blank looks throughout from the more senior half of the table. :rofl:

You need to check the dish setting as it may have moved slightly causing the weaker signal multiplexes (channels) to be lost whilst the stronger ones remain receivable. Additionally, check the cable connectors at the LNB and receiver (and any in between) as there may be signal loss there. Cutting the end back 25mm and reconnecting is the easiest way to do so.

What’s your postcode and what size is your dish?

24300 and 80cms, found in a skip 10 years ago so I swapped it for my 60cm one which now resides, unseen, in the hedge blocking the exit for small dogs.

I am understandably reluctant to fiddle with stuff myself these days though, if things don’t improve I’ll call my friend who has more knowledge. What tickles me is the moving of the highlight on the programme grid with the Manhatten remote, switches the Karcher internet radio on and off. :rofl:

To get back to the Manhatten signal though, I could disconnect it and reconnect to the spare Humax that I never use as I find it less ‘friendly’. If that works ok I’ll know it is the Manhatten and nothing to do with the dish etc. It is very old.