Savon Noir

In the “eco” sections in the supermarkets and elsewhere, Savon Noir seems to be a major item. I’ve obviously looked online and as far as I can gather, it comes in 2 forms -

• Creme/paste - for use on the skin
  • Liquid for household cleaning

There’s a lot of hype about how wonderful, natural, etc etc it is but there is so much opinionated tripe on-line, it is difficult to assess :roll_eyes:

I’m sure some/a lot of you have actually used it and can give me the benefit of your experience as to what, if anything, it is particularly useful for…

Ive never used it for cleaning. I use the liquid diluted to counter greenfly on my roses.
The OH has Moroccan black olive soap which is a thick paste, and very good for the skin.

There you go, kill two birds with one stone, use it for your skin and then stand next to your roses, sorted :yum::grin:

1 Like

That’s interesting, @hairbear. As it’s a soap rather than a detergent (i think!) I imagine it might work well for aphids - it hadn’t occurred to me!

One of the websites that waxed lyrical about it talked about surface cleaning a, stain removal and general laundry.

It does work very well. Also, when mixing it doesn’t froth at all. I mix up about 500ml at a time in a spray bottle and it lasts for ages.

1 Like

I wonder if it’s ok to use on vegetables :thinking:

(And before some wit makes a comment about using it as a sauce, I got there first :roll_eyes: )

5 Likes

:sunglasses::laughing::laughing::laughing: love it :sunglasses:

Seriously though, I am genuinely interested in its uses, not least because most detergents are not great for either my partner’s skin nor for ouyr drains/septic tank!

Here’s a link to gardening/tomatoes with Savon Noir (dilute with warm water)

1 Like

Thanks @stella !

Do you know anything about its other uses? It’s so widely promoted in the supermarkets it surely has to be good for something else as well?

(I shall certainly get some for the greenfly though :smiley: )

Greenfly I didn’t find it markedly better than dish soap, longer lasting maybe, white fly it was great on.

1 Like

Yep… there’s lots of garden uses as well as in the home…

and also, personally…

One needs to follow the instructions.

1 Like

https://www.lesavonniermarseillais.fr/en/content/6-savon-noir-liquid-soap-uses

2 Likes

I have found it is good for copper and silver, great on taking the black carbon of the glass insert on your fire door and gets rid of the sooty mould left by aphids on plants, our dog much prefers it as a shampoo as well.

1 Like

Thank you very much @Stella and @Griffin36 I’m particularly interested in what other people use it for as most of the internet pages I’ve seen just wax lyrical about it as it it is a miracle product for absolutely everything :smiley:

I use it for lots of things! Household cleaning, clothes washing, mixing with purin to make my aphid spray.

I have a large (1kg) tub of copeaux which I find the most economical, and also liquid for when I just want a squirt.

That plus bicarb and vinegar deal with most household matters!

Thank you @JaneJones - I use savon de Marseille soap flakes for clothes washing but I got the impression that Savon Noir was different from the “normal” savon de Marseille. My partner said something about one using sodium and the other potassium but he wasn’t at all sure :thinking:

(PS I agree about vinegar and bicarb - I would add citric acid to the list though as I use that with bicarb for loo cleaning…)

Wow! You are right, my copeaux are savon de marseille and liquid is savon noir. I have never thought about this difference! I just use whatever’s most convenient, and since they both seem to work perhaps it isn’t massively critical?

La différence entre le savon noir et le savon de Marseille :

Le processus de fabrication des deux savons est assez similaire. Pour les produire, il faut mélanger de l’huile d’olive, de l’huile de coco, du sel et une base pour la saponification des huiles. D’ailleurs, c’est cette base qui constitue la principale différence entre les deux savons. Pour le savon noir, on utilise la potasse qui le rend mou, alors qu’on opte pour la soude qui permet de durcir le savon de Marseille.

La différence entre le savon noir et de Marseille réside également dans leur utilisation . Le savon de Marseille est utilisé pour la toilette et également pour entretenir la maison et le linge. Quant au savon noir, il est soit dédié à un usage corporel notamment en gommage car c’est un émollient naturel, soit à un usage ménager puisque c’est un nettoyant multi-usages écologique et économique qui remplace plus d’une dizaine de produits ménagers.

2 Likes

This is interesting as I use le savon de Marseille for personal use and had not thought of using Savon Noir.

My Marseille is just sloshed about without a thought , but browsing through the bits of info… I note that “Savon Noir” does say to be careful to follow instructions if using on the skin…

might not be anything to worry about, but I’d have to read a bit more before using the SNoir on my beautiful visage… :rofl: :rofl: knowing me I’d get the instructions wrong so I’ll stick to Marseille

1 Like

From what I saw, @Stella, savon noir seemed to be used more as a face pack than a soap. As you say though, I think I’d be careful about that, and my skin is probably beyond redemption anyway :smiley:

That’s a lovely clear explanation, @JaneJones - I shall tell my partner he was right about that. It should cheer him up :rofl:

1 Like