School uniforms in France

Well at least its not your first school day :rofl:

2 Likes

I can remember having to wear a Brown tunic and hat( and a straw boater in the summer) when I first started a mixed grammar school in Wolverhampton in the late sixties,the boaters I think were discontinued pretty quickly and by the time we got to the sixth form we only had to conform to a Brown skirt,we were free to choose the rest;
Uniforms I think are OK if they stop the fashion victim type bullying that sometimes accompanied the obsession with brands but can’t remember that happening to my two lads here in France,I was thankful they wore jeans as their obsession with football meant that there was always bits of earth and grass attatched to their clothes at the end of each day!!!
So on balance I would come out(just)in favour of no uniforms,

1 Like

My French ‘partner’ tells the tale of his son (now 30 years old) at school. He asked his dad for a pair of branded trainers, his dad didn’t have a lot of money so said “sorry not possible, in any case a trainer is a trainer”. His son said " If I go to school without X brand then I will be an absolute con and won’t be able to hold my head up high or have many friends"!
Well, dad told him that friends like that weren’t worth having etc; but di eventually pay out so that his son wouldn’t be the object of pity. Sad isn’t it ?

There are so many sad tales of folk who suffered torment of one sort or another due to uniforms … so sad and so unnecessary.

My daughter went to a school which had a very simple uniform, but it was strictly enforced. Items were available at local shops… but parents were gently requested to use the in-school shop as much as possible… where good quality second-hand stuff was sold in aid of the School Fund…

All items were cleaned and in good order before being offered for sale at very low prices… so everyone benefited… parents, the kids and the school…

Thus wearing a second-hand blazer was seen as common sense and not a mark of poverty.

As the kids grew, stuff went back to the shop and the cycle continued…

If any parent baulked at the school shop idea… that was up to them… but, even so, they would hand-in outgrown items … so they were still doing their bit for the School Fund.

I found this system worked well and possibly other schools have similar arrangements.

Sounds a lot like my childhood Stella.
Things were handed down and passed along without any angst. The only new things we had were the famous ‘Tuff shoes’ that were almost indestructable.
Many a journey to school was passed in trying to scuff them and wear them out. Now of course I know how much my parents invested in them.
By the way, how many ladies on here remember the hated ‘gym knickers’, the ones with a pocket for a hankie :nauseated_face:

I support

Cann’t imagine why Dominics views on school uniforms would be ‘flagged’ :thinking:

1 Like

As far as I’m aware none of his posts in this thread were flagged. Can you point me to the flag in question please?

1 Like

It says on His posts they were “Flagged by the Community” Catharine.

Oh yes Bill. All of them have been flagged and are temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Ah ok. That is because he’s been banned.

1 Like

Thats a shame :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Quite insulting remarks Tim!
From such a highly educated chappie :slightly_smiling_face:

Forgot to add, I got kicked out of school at 16 so never got to finish my education.

1 Like

Am I surprised :thinking:

Surprised about what exactly?

I got kicked out of Latin aged 15. Still got to Oxford though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like most things in life Bill, it depends on one’s perspective :slight_smile:

Given the amount of rain we have had in les Landes this year, I should imagine evolution will mean that the next generation are born with webbed feet. Mind you, there are them that say les Landes is a bit backwards…

ps my middle daughter was born with six toes. But she is just a bit odd full stop :rofl::rofl: