Science in Action warns about the future of research in UK after Brexit

On the World Service last night the programme highlighted the necessary of freedom of movement if high quality research is able to continue after Brexit.
They gave the example of an amercan who managed to obtain funding to continue her research for a different source and then had to change her visa.
Because of the inefficiency of tge existing system she was not allowed into her research facility until her new visa arrived and had to spend several weeks sitting at home in Cambridge before she became ‘legal’ again and could continue her research.
TM says that she wants to attract high quality people to the UK after Brexit, well if this is an example of how they ate treated now, I hate to think what will happen after Brexit.
Sir Paul Nurse is tearing his hair out and says very definitely that the extremists should be reined if high quality research is to continue in UK.
Did all those who say that they thought long and hard before voting Leave accept the consequences of the loss of freedom of movement for the state of research in UK after Brexit and decide it was a price worth paying?
Twenty nine Nobel Laureates who wrote to TM would disagree.

1 Like

I think the average brexiteer couldn’t care less about research, because who needs experts? Especially nasty foreign experts? They certainly don’t care about facts :persevere:

4 Likes

The best scientists in the world have spent at least three months at the Molecular Laboratory in Cambridge.
Medical research doesn’t distinguish between those who care or those who don’t. All benefit.
If the Leavers cannot distinguish between those who work to benefit mankind or those who work to benefit themselves, there is something drastically wrong.

I was thinking of those Brexiteers who say they have thought carefully before they voted.

I am wondering if the consequences for scientific research in UK was one of the considerations they thought of and then decided it wasn’t important enough to make them change their mind.

I don’t think brexiteers thought past immigration and ‘taking back their country.’

I daresay that I am the average Brexiteer. I believed in the UK’s ability to govern itself.

and, pray tell, where does the UK have no ability to govern itself?

Past tense…:thinking: does that mean that since the referendum you have changed your mind?
(not surprising if you have, after all the shenanigans and goings on in parliament):stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Like the majority who now, according to the polls, have changed their mind.
Did you never consider how it might affect people who now live in other EU countries?

@Jane_Williamson I’m not sure that post #9 should be directed at me…

Was that ever in question? Here my state is perfectly able to govern itself but it’s population are far more prosperous by being part of the USA because without that powerful trading force working for us we would never have been taken seriously on a world stage. Economically the figures state that we are better as part of the USA just as I’m sure that the figures say that Britain has been much stronger as a member of the EU than it was for decades before it joined. I’ve spent a fair bit of time in Britain and when I was there I was always under the impression that the a United Kingdom always was governed by the government in Westminster even though it came under the umbrella of the EU. Was I mistaken?
I’ve read stories about bent bananas and no being allowed to have border controls to prevent people entering the country but I’ve also read that these ideas and more like them were actually what we now call false news even if they did appear on the front pages of some popular newspapers. Am I perhaps wrong about those things too? As an outsider I’m waiting to hear the answer to two questions that I’ve seen asked many times before,

1. Name an EU law that has a detrimental affect on your everyday life.
  2. Give one valid advantage of leaving the EU.
    Perhaps you, @anon67338874 can be the person to provide them.
2 Likes

Sorry, it was supposed to be Jess Jephcott that I meant to reply to.
I think we both feel the same way about who is behind the strange picture.

The UK vote for and agree with 97.5% of all EU law.
Is all this worth it for 2.5%?