Search continues for place to settle in le midi

We very much enjoyed our road trip in September calling in on Figeac, Villefranche de Rougue, Foix and Mirande. We saw lots of appealing villages and rural spots but we want to have another look around. The aim is to find that ideal of quiet rural spot with choice of restaurants and cafes, boulangeries and good health care provision. We also want to be able to find decent entertainment <1 hr away. This time we will travel via Santander, having a look at France Basque country, explore more around Pau and perhaps around Dax. We will have a look at Agen. A future trip may be to see the area inland from Montpellier. We will be ‘inactif’ so employment not an issue. So where is the P&Q with something to do? French is progressing. It’s so good to have found a proper class at last.
Any suggestions of interesting places with affordable housing costs , not too many Brits much appreciated.

Well, you’ve been to some nice places already, but I think Figeac’s one of the best, Villefranche has become very run-down in recent years and the countryside’s a bit more interesting if you’re a few kilometres further north. Did you look at the villages around Rodez, which has all the nice shops restos and museums, and isn’t too far from the autoroute to the Med, Montpellier and Spain. Certainly the Aveyron remains cheap with lots of good old village properties. Another possibility around there is the Causse de Quercy which is a national park between Figeac and the A20 that’s a bit like the Yorkshire Dales - limestone plateau - but not too much like the Dales, and of course, it’s in France!

If you’re not bothered by the cold (OH is from sub-tropical Durban) the villages around Aurillac are cheap and the city seems to have a lot to offer.

We looked around Pau and found it a tad bleak

Lastly we have a few friends who’ve moved south of us and seem to be getting much worse weather even though they’re closer to the Med. There’s a weather feature called un event mediterranee or un event Cevennes which involves sudden torrential downpours and flooding

1 Like

I think you have pedant tendencies so will excuse me if I say “épisode cévenol/méditerranéen “ which otherwise would be impolite. And they are spectacular as long as you are in a safe place.

1 Like

Thanks for the correction - wrote that off the top of my head, but otherwise, yes very pedantic. If you write and publish in academia, it’s essential to get minutiae right. I’m less anal on SF but check everything that’s going into print

1 Like

Thank you Dr Mark H. We have decided to spend another week in Lot/Aveyron though we haven’t chosen the location yet apart from booking a place for two nights in Figeac. It is a lovely place. We’ve been looking today for a place to spend a week in the sticks near Rodez or Figeac. Deciding where is a challenge. If only we had a campervan and six months to spare. We would have enjoyed this -

Wondering what do you guys particularly like about Figeac.

It seems to be the No.2 place in the Lot for healthcare after Cahors (not sure about dentist availability, though), but I’m not sure that’s saying much.

I only spent a couple of hours there so I know little apart from the fact that it’s full of beautiful buildings in a picturesque setting - especially when observed from the church at the top of the hill. Does it hide dark secrets?

1 Like

I’ll wait for @DrMarkH who knows all round here. Figeac is not far from me, the market is interesting but as DrMark said, twice the price on some stalls.
The centre of town is quite limited (but many are) and I’ve noticed have go to Figeac to find certain types of shops not found in smaller local towns. But after Figeac and within the Lot, it seems you’d have to go to Cahors if you still wanted more choice, and that’s it.

I’m still learning, so I was interested in what you liked particularly.

2 Likes

We weren’t as impressed by Cahors.

And if you’re not impressed by Cahors, which is the Paris of the Lot, I was very very interested to know what it was you liked about Figeac.

Cahors was great when it was smaller and it was intra-muros with a new shopping area outside. But it seems to have expanded to the point that it feels different now. When we first came they were still allowing vehicles to drive over that lovely bridge. We could not understand why. Thank heavens it’s pedestrian only now.

1 Like

I personally quite like Villefranche sur Rouergues but agree with @DrMarkH 's comment on how it has run down. There is a lot of loveliness in the architecture there. But I suspect very very cold in some winters with a risk of being snowed in for brief bouts in some years.

Re- Cahors

It was just a snapshot. The weather wasn’t good and it was getting dark. It felt quite urban with plenty of traffic and noise. The weather was poor when we visited Pau too. We could hardly see the mountains. On another day we could be blown away by the views.

I walked in on a sunny Sunday morning and watched the swallows flying around the upper parts of the cathedral. I then walked along the river and saw thousands of fish. My feelings were far more favourable then when we first walked around the streets. It looked like it had seen better times.

We toured France, bit by bit, over a 20-year period… and still couldn’t decide where we preferred :rofl:

3 Likes

If I could replace Foix with Figeac’s prosperity I think I would happily live in that beautiful area. The mountains are to die for and driving everywhere the views superb. Saying that we thought the landscape in Lot and Aveyron was beautiful.

Interesting posts - thanks @KarenLot Figeac’s a lovely town with most things including a good Rumanian dentist who speaks perfect English! Also the surrounding villages can be very nice, whether up on on the Causse de Quercy or just to the north where it resembles the Dordogne. However, another cheaper option in that area (with to my mind more interesting landscape) are the lovely villages further up the Lot between Vieillevie and Entraygues-sur-Truyère that are quite close to Rodez, which is a much larger place, possibly bigger and better than Cahors

1 Like

Figeac, Champollion museum of course, main reason to go there apart from if you are going to a rugby match obv :grin:

1 Like

But check out whether you have the internet or not in an exact location that might interest you.

From here: Expatica - Setting up home phone, internet, and TV in France | Expatica

And tell the world here how well that experience worked out … !

2 Likes

Rural France is suffering from a dearth of doctors in rural areas.
Our own doctor in Cluny is retiring in April, but, fortunately, he has found an English speaking lady doctor from Lyons to take over.

Thank you again for your help Dr Mark. I have now booked a gite on a farm near Entraygues-sur-Truyère. Looking forward to exploring the villages and their restaurants. It will be interesting to visit Rodez. We were going to do so on our last visit but I’m afraid I was spooked by what seemed to us to be contradictory signs trying to get to a car park. Not wishing to risk upsetting the boys in blue - or is it khaki, we just stopped at a road side boulangerie outside the centre for a snack and postponed our visit. Well it was my first time driving in France. Must do some more study on signage - or do they just make it up as they go along?

1 Like