Selfish or stupid? - Measles Update- Tetanus Reminder

The only thing my chiropractor relieved me of was hundreds of pounds. Physio on the other hand was very effective :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Cocaine, opium, atropine, curare, digitalis, hemlock, colchicine… just a few lovely herbal remedies off the top of my head😊
yes I do see what you mean but I think too many people think oh herbal = safe and harmless when actually they can be anything but especially if interacting with other active substances.

I don’t have a problem with alternative therapies, if they make people happier, just as people who refuse eg blood transfusions should have their wishes respected. However if they are then ill or die as a result nobody should complain.

5 Likes

@Teresaship. And for back problems…to me a simple, free and often highly effective remedy doctors could suggest is to go for a daily walk followed by a couple of stretches.

2 Likes

Je vais encore passer pour un jambon à cause de ces débiles ! …tssss sacrés français

I worked with a very respected consultant haemotologist who said Jehovah’s witnesses had done much good for research into alternative blood products.

[quote=“Maxime, post:25, topic:24744, full:true”]
Je vais encore passer pour un jambon à cause de ces débiles ! …tssss sacrés français

Lesquels en particulier? Et pourquoi donc?

Same here.

There was some interesting discussion on the radio yesterday about vaccines. After the Wakefield problems vaccination rates dropped. They then rose again but have recently begun to fall. The health minister wants to ban anti vaccination sites from social media as it is thought they are responsible for this drop

1 Like

I confess I have a problem with this, from the freedom of speech perspective. What is the next topic that the government should decide is not in the public interest?

1 Like

I was listening with my cousin. We are both pro vaccination but both said we weren’t happy about a ban like this. What was interesting was the facts that were discussed about vaccination ,debunking a lot of the myths

I watched the news today about the US ban. I was surprised at the number of deaths world wide from Measles-and of course there will be those left disabled in some way. I suspect most parents now think of Measles as a fairly innocuous childhood disease instead of the killer it can be. I remember having measles in the early sixties and having to be in a dark room for some days because sunlight hurt my eyes. My parents-born in the late 20’s/ early 30’s knew children who had died of measles.

2 Likes

I noted that the epicentre of the epidemic in Rockfield County were ultra orthodox Jews who claimed exemption on religious grounds.
This is a perfect example of an extreme point of view
Being allowed to prevail against the feelings and wellbeing of the majority.
We have the same in UK where religious zealots of all persuasions are refusing to allow their children to be told that there is more than one idea of a family, despite it being the law of the land.
It is an intolerable situation in both cases, which should be remedied asap.

1 Like

A lady on Facebook has asked people to share these photos.
Her baby daughter too young to have the vaccine spent 8 days in hospital with measles.

Before mmr vaccine existed children had a measles jab at about a year old. My son had an allergic reaction to eggs and was not allowed his measles jab until he was a bit older . Luckily parents were very on-board with vaccination 34 years ago so he wasn’t at much risk.

Parents can be remarkably blasé, a friend of mine whose child got mumps before the vaccine was available urged everone to take up vaccine programnes because her child became profoundly deaf in one ear.

Even the vaccine denier Trump has now changed his tune.
It is the law that you have to wear a seat belt in a car to protect yourself, it should be the law that all children are vaccinated to protect others.

1 Like

I’m thinking ‘passer pour un jambon’ has a meaning that will escape novice learners of French, so can someone in the know let us in on it please? :thinking::smiley:

Hmmm, I’ve never thought deeply about it but unless I’ve missed some subtlety isn’t it just a derogatory term for stupid? Which is odd now I think about it as being a pig means to be dirty, as everyone knows pigs are intelligent. So why once they are turned into ham do they become stupid…

1 Like