Selfish or stupid? - Measles Update- Tetanus Reminder

The bit of pig you use for jambon doesn’t have the brain in it. Usually you hear it at rugby matches esp when playing Bayonne “jaambooooooon! Raantreu chez toââââ”

4 Likes

Dirty being a very relative and anthropocentric term, I would think that to call pigs dirty or stupid says more about the speaker than the object of his uncalled-for slight. But thanks to those who confirmed my thinking, and dispelled any lingering doubt about other subtleties :smiley:

I think it may also be because of pigs’ reputation for swallowing pretty much anything, like gulls, and if you are gullible you will also passe pour un jambon :wink:

I wasn’t calling pigs dirty…they are actually clean animals. Merely saying that when someone is called a pig, it usually means they are being called dirty… so all in all I’d probably prefer to be called a ham than a pig.

1 Like

I thought a ham was a bad actor when used for humans.

3 Likes

No I know you weren’t calling pigs dirty, Jane, mine was just a general comment, and I’m sorry to have given offence to you.

Ham is in fact a respectable Biblical name, (possibly etymologically allied to Abraham @vero?) and even to Hamish and Hamlet, with a diminutive connotation perhaps.

Enough about pigs, although soaking in a hot bath I conceived the outline of a short novella based on the life and loves of an extended family of pigs, from a pig-centred and intergenerational perspective. The inspiration has come from my fluey fever, from revisiting Guy de Maupassant in the original, and my nodding acquaintance with a neighbour’s porcs de Bayeux. And SFN of course!:upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

Well spotted!

Also a derogatory term for a fat person. Like, morbidly obese type fat.

And now you know! :smiley:

Having been born into and growing up on a farm (dairy and pigs), in my opinion the term pig when used towards a human is the description of our porky pals to the way they eat food. Spreading it around the area they are eating in, slopping it all over the face until they (if given the chance will be nonstop) end up morbidly obese. It has nothing to do with intelligence or the way they roll in the mud to protect the skin.

Just watch the eating habits of a lot of humans in McDonalds/Burger King !!!

Gloucester Old Spots or Oxford Sandy and Black?

2 Likes

Lovely pigs. Also Tamworths and Berkshires :heart::pig:
I love pigs. One of my cousins has a couple of Kunekune, too sweet. I saw some Mangalitsa (sp?) in Germany, they look like nothing on earth, pigs with dreadlocks pretty much. Hilarious when they canter along.

Ps I am fond of Saddlebacks as well but poss because of the markings, I like Belted Galloway cattle too.

Yes, Mangalitsa pigs. Called the porcine equivalenence of Kobe beef.
They are a Hungarian breed. No spots on their wooly coats though.
Belted Galloways are being used in UK in rewilding schemes and new wetland projects as tgey are excellent in controlling scrub.

1 Like

I got very excited as there’s a herd of belted galloway’s in a field by Chateau Challon!

1 Like

Gosh, we might be seeing Dexters soon.

1 Like

Brilliant! From measles to pigs! :grin::pig:

5 Likes

“Measles to pigs?” could be adopted as official SFN code for ‘straying off-piste’ on long threads. :joy:

3 Likes

“Measles to Pigs”…???

I can do that…and bring the post back on topic…x :smile:

Corrupted Infant Vaccine Contains Pig Virus

1 Like

The suspension lasted about 2 months for further testing, not exactly a “shut down” and interesting that the article you quote was not updated to mention the FDA cleared Rotarix for use.

But, or course, that would spoil the story from their angle, wouldn’t it?

Updated, in this case, means cleared for use.

2 Likes

Did your grandma make black pudding like mine when they killed a pig?

1 Like

I never knew grandmother on fathers side and grandmother on mothers side would buy it. yum yum. We would get 1 or so cuts of our pork from the butchers for our freezer stock.