Selling - spares or repair

OH’s car has died again, Citroen C3 Pluriel, the convertible little thing. It’s a problem with the immobilizer and has happened a few times before, usually when it isn’t used for a week or so. It needs to go to Citroen to have the ECU codes re-set, but she has had enough of it now so it has to go. Too good to be scrapped, only done k76 km.

The CT runs out later this year so it will be sold for spares or repair, just wondering how the procedures work now that everything is done online. We will get the QF from the tax office, and fill in the other form in triplicate (at least thats how it was done last and only time I sold a car here). Is there anything else I/she needs to do, or is the onus on the buyer to get everything else in order?


Hi Mark… just a thought… could it simply be that the battery needs to be connected to a C-Tek trickle charger… or whatever… when the car is not in use.

I know there are some makes of cars… where the electronic gizmos can drain the battery, when not used, and cause problems such as you describe.

OH was going spare… . and finally found this solution … phew… no problems since… :grinning:

It might have helped, but difficult to get power to where car is parked (other side of bridge/river). Too late now, it’s got to go!


Hi Mark…

Please can you give Mark Robbins (and the rest of us) the up-to-date info on selling a car “for spares or repair” … I have a feeling that this is not so simple as in years gone by…


Sure, Stella.

It is possible tp bypass the immobiliser system apparently -

With regard to selling “spares or repair” for french cars the law is as below.
This is from -

"Peut-on vendre ou acheter un véhicule qui ne peut plus rouler ?

Vérifié le 22 juin 2017 - Direction de l’information légale et administrative (Premier ministre), Ministère chargé de l’environnement

Non, depuis 2009, vous ne pouvez

ni vendre un véhicule non-roulant, même en pièces détachées,
ni acheter un véhicule non-roulant, sauf si vous êtes un professionnel de l'automobile.

Il ne peut plus y avoir de mention « véhicule non-roulant » sur le procès-verbal du contrôle technique. Et une carte grise portant la mention « véhicule non-roulant » ne peut pas être délivrée.

Vous pouvez toutefois conserver chez vous un véhicule qui ne peut plus rouler :

si vous souhaitez récupérer et réutiliser certaines pièces du véhicule pour un usage strictement personnel,
ou si vous voulez transformer, réparer, ou réhabiliter ce véhicule pour un usage strictement personnel.

Vous devez, dans ces cas, faire une déclaration de retrait de circulation.

Si vous souhaitez vous débarrasser du véhicule, vous devez obligatoirement le remettre à un centre VHU agréé titulaire d’un numéro d’agrément. Mais attention, pour être accepté gratuitement par ces professionnels, le véhicule ne doit pas être dépourvu de ses composants essentiels (groupe motopropulseur, pot catalytique pour les véhicules qui en étaient équipés lors de leur mise sur le marché ou carrosserie) et ne doit pas contenir des déchets ou équipements non homologués qui lui ont été ajoutés.

Vous risquez une amende prévue pour les contraventions de 5e classe d’un montant de 1 500 € si :

vous abandonnez ou déposez votre véhicule (ou une partie de celui-ci) ailleurs que chez un centre VHU agréé,

vous remettez ou faites remettre des déchets à une autre personne qu'un exploitant d'une installation agréée,

vous éliminez des déchets ou matériaux sans être agréé.

Attention :

vous ne pouvez donc pas conserver votre véhicule non-roulant pour le revendre en pièces détachées.

So if your car fails the CT and is beyond economic repair your options are keep it yourself for parts or give it away to an authorised scrap merchant? But if you do the former and remove any significant item you won’t even be able to do the latter.

I’m guessing this is to encourage correct disposal but it seems very restrictive.

and then you have the insurance problem that France has a continuous insurance law, and insurers wil not normally cancel your policy unless you can provide paperwork showing you’ve either sold the car or disposed of it to a dismantler, or taken out insurance with another insurer.

Of course what people used to do was fill out a certificat de cession with a fictional buyer. Not sure if this loophole is still open under ANTS?

The car isn’t uneconomical to repair, it’s just a pita to get it fixed, and some other electric issues that mean it has to go to a Citroen stealer. It would (most likely) pass a new CT if it could be driven. Assistance only covers it 20 km from home, so maybe I need to bite the bullet and call a tow truck again. Get it fixed, new ct and sell.

Problem solved Mark - then you can put in a claim for theft :grin: :grin: :grin:

Unfortunately, it wasn’t a spelling mistake :sob:

1 Like

Bought one of those for my wife couple of years ago. The problem with them is the amount of electronics in the vehicle governed by sensors. We ended up getting rid as well. Small car, big money pit.

Ooh 'eck! Am I going to have problems here? I have agreed to sell my car to a French guy “pour pieces” and he is coming tday to take it away. It runs perfectly but the CT ran out in August. I have downloaded the “certifiat de cession”. Do I write " vendu pour pieces" on the CarteGrise? How do I do this on ANTS? Help!

As you are now aware … you cannot mark “vendu pour pieces”. You are selling a car and must go through with that scenario.

What the Buyer does with the car, after he has bought it - that is up to him. But, he is buying a car.

Please do be careful not to drop yourself in the mire.

@Mark_Rimmer can you zap in here asap, please ??

When selling a car to a private buyer using the ANTS online service, you must declare (tick a box) that you have provided amongst other documents, a CT less than 6 months old or 2 months for a “contre visite”. Until you do you cannot continue to the next page to complete your declaration.
I suppose you could lie, but these things can be checked easily on government databases.

1 Like

Doesn’t say it has to have passed though, does it?

No, as Mark says, it can be a Contrôle Technique which says another visit within 2 months is required (due to something “wrong” found at time of Test).

By the sound of it, your current CT has expired - so you will need to get a CT done for the Sale.

(or did you get it tested and had it “fail” - with the 2 month’s leeway still available)

This is the declaration bit -

It’s gone beyond the 2 months for contre-visite. Oh dear, the deed is done, it’s gone, the money is in my hand, let’s hope this doesn’t backfire on me :frowning: