Separating in France when not married

Hello and thank you for the add to your group.
I’ve been in France nearly 20 years 15 of them with my ex Aussie partner, (Dutch passport) We have a 7 year old son together but never married. We split up back in October, he’s moved out. It had been a long time coming… more so because I gave up work, along with any financial indépendance, when we had a baby. Since then I have done babysitting, cleaning, anything to earn a bit of cash but nothing legally, even my healthcare is through him! I have asked him if we can get some financial agreements down on paper but where do we start. He has put the house up for sale, it’s all in his name. He is currently paying the bills and mortgage. I know an appointment with an assistant social is my starting point but while he is still financially supporting us I’m pretty sure there is not much they can do…
Then there is the nationality or Nationalities of my son to consider. English, French, Dutch & Australian… He currently has a British passport, when can he get his French one ?
Is there anybody that is going/has been through something similar?
Thank you in advance for any reply’s
Julie Xx

I can’t help with the legal side of a break-up and agreements to be reached but as far as any child born in France to foreign parents French nationality is accorded under certain conditions (it’s not automatic):

Le «droit du sol» pour les enfants nés en France de parents étrangers

Pour les enfants nés en France de parents étrangers, c’est le «droit du sol» qui s’applique. L’enfant obtiendra donc la citoyenneté française à 18 ans, sous certaines conditions : posséder un certificat de naissance en France, résider en France et y avoir vécu durant au moins cinq ans depuis l’âge de 11 ans. Avant sa majorité, il peut acquérir la nationalité sur demande de ses parents (entre 13 et 16 ans), ou sur demande personnelle (entre 16 et 18 ans), avec des conditions de durée de résidence en France.

Enfin, dans un troisième cas de figure, la France reconnaît le «double droit du sol» : si un parent étranger, mais né en France, a un enfant sur le sol français, celui-ci bénéficie du droit du sol et donc de la nationalité française à sa naissance.

1 Like

I would say you need to go and see a good avocat as soon as possible.

Parents have responsibilities to their children as they do everywhere and the law here takes them seriously and is fairly prescriptive. If you can’t reach a satisfactory arrangement between yourselves, you will end up in front of the juge aux affaires familiales, who will impose a framework for you both stipulating how your son is to be provided for, residence etc.

As your son is only 7 it is worth getting that framework officialised, you don’t know after all what your circumstances may be in a couple of years’ time.


Absolutely agree with Veronique and I happen to know one. Will pm you details xx