Setting up broadband for my 2nd home - tearing hair out

Billybutcher

I have seriously considered this option.
I like that you can cancel any time and then re-engage with the caveat you may be back of the queue if demand is high.

I was looking at the mobile option with a view to brining it home in UK and using it. I’m only on ADSL in UK too.

It’s pricey option though.

There are several problems with Starlink, on balance I would steer clear unless it were the only option (of course for much of la France profonde that will be true).

There’s a thread here with more discussion:

One could interpret that as desperation :thinking:

If you have access to fibre, then depending on exactly where you are, you need to talk to Orange to get the fibre installed or if you’re outside the Carcassonne city area, you need to talk to Emeraude THD

https://www.emeraudethd.fr/operateurs/

This will tell you if they cover your commune and guide you as to what to do to get fibre installed. Unless you’re in one of the communes immediately surrounding Carcassonne, it will probably be Emeraude THD that covers your area.

Hairbear
This is really bloody helpful. Thank you.
OK so I checked my address and as usual “property not found” but there is now an option to contact this business with the details and hopefully it may kick of a process.
On their coverage map it clearly shows all the surrounding properties are eligible with a few connected.

I really hope whoever picks my message and accompanying explanation is not a jobsworth and will try and help me.

I’ve screenshotted their map and then marked my plot and using google translate written a brief explanation of the property history and location.

This might just crack it :grinning:

1 Like

Good luck ! Let me know what happens.

Of course.
Its a great site. You can geo locate your property and the map sets longitude and latitude coordinates and then allows a screenshot for them as a reference.

Wow looks like you got the right installer.

We have the fibre cable just outside our house. ADSL already installed, so the Orange installer only had to thread the cable through.
Guy arrived a day late without warning. Tried to feed the fibre cable through to the inside box. Couldn’t get it done, gave up quickly and said “you need an expert”… :rage:

Trying with free now, hopefully they have some competent installers (this is in Aix-en Provence). At least their box works with ADSL if all else fails.

2 Likes

Ah that is bad luck indeed, the two guys who came out to us were absolute pros, albeit it did get off to a shaky start when only one turned up and said “Oooh, I’m not keen about climbing up a ladder to hang the cables in those fields”…Rang his mate, mate came out, said the equivalent of “yer big wuss” and promptly set off with his ladder across the fields and barbed wire to do it, no mess, no fuss.

2 Likes

We had a similar issue. The ADSL line was disconnected whilst they tried to thread the fibre line through the gain telecom. It snapped and the guy buggered off to another appointment. We were later told by another installer that they’re under strict instructions to not remove the ADSL line. I guess he didn’t get that memo.

All fixed now and absolutely loving my fibre connection so it’s all good.

1 Like