Setting up French TV for UK apps and Freesat

The fibre inlet will be where it suits the supplier …and ideally close to a power socket. The Terminal router box is attached here and ten you do what you want … The router will

save WiFi and an ethernet connection

What you do with the ethernet is your choice ..CPL or using ethernet along the mains wiring was a favoured method and FREE sell units for this .If the TV is adjacent a line will do and in a rambling stone house perhaps a few wi fi access points brings the signal to your TV or tablet etc.

Like I said - there are ways and means but they might cost more money and need more techy knowledge. I think the thing will to keep small and stay under the radar - rent a server in the UK and run a VPN endpoint on it (Wireguard is good once you understand how to set it up), get a friend to ask their ISP for fixed IP address and set up a VPN on their router (if possible - ISPs who are friendly to third party routers helps here, as does OpenWrt), avoid the big VPN operators who will always be a target for the content providers.

1 Like

There are other ways to get geo locked Android apps.

More or less - it appears most installers are prepared to offer at least a little flexibility but it depends on individual circumstances.

Powerline Ethernet is OK in a pinch but no longer gets remotely close to wired Ethernet speeds.

I hear mesh is good for this sort of thing. I prefer Ethernet backbone and separate APs personally - but that does rather require the ability to run the Ethernet backbone.

I have loads of Netflix stuff on my Freesat thanks.

I assume that you mean you have a Netflix app on your Freesat decoder. Or do you just use the Netflix app on your TV?

If it’s the former I’m curious as to what model as none of the ones currently on sale at Currys would support Nettflix.

I think I was saying you CAN have your cake and eat it. IE have French and UK apps on the same set. Of course you have to switch your VPN location to the appropriate location.

Curious - an app just worked out I was in France. Which must be because I have not prevented access to the router’s IPv6 stack. Will have to think about the best way to deal with that but for now most things are happy.

Just few points … Like you I would have been bringing over my TV on every summer and bringing it back in Autumn .. I am too mean to purchase a french TV licence … Their law is ..or was until this year possession of a TV or similar on 1st January means a licence ..so I didn’t leave it there so I could answer honestly. On the .I think the Tax d Habitation form. .

I have had a sat dish on a movable mount and in years gone by I would scan through dozens of obscure satellite positions and pick up programs in obscure languages I could never follow ..So now I just leave it at 28.E . The dish is at ground level so brining it indoor for winter is a 5 minute chore. So that gets the main UK stuff ..

The TV will readily pick up the French Terrestrial …So it’s just a question of turn on and auto tune …

Now the fun stuff … We have our account with EIR ..the Irish equivalent of say Virgin and they supplied us with a an apple TV box with their app loaded ..and we have Prime and Netflix on it also ..and the EIR TV application. .The Apple TV box is WiFi only but neatly links with any WiFi internet … . Our Irish IDs for EIR, for Prime and Netflix, YouTube all work totally fine ..and we can get some french films in the menu of Netflix . Virtually all the channels on the EIR application itself which include BBCs etc are Geolocked and unavailable . ..Except News programmes .. We can also Chromecast to the TV and that means anything we can get on the internet is available

There hasn’t been a requirement for a TV licence in France for a few years now.

1 Like

Regrettably that is news to me ..or it was only this year I realised it ..and am kicking myself . Getting the 49 inch TV into and out of the car is the hardest part of packing …It’s a job I could do without.

Some UK apps (e.g. Channel 4) require setting GMT/BST on your clock and in the settings.

I last paid it as part of TdH in 2020.

It is quite an old Freesat box. We use it only for tv programmes. Tout à fait. Netflix is obtained by using our LG tv remote.

The TV thinks it is on UK time so that’s OK.

Not knowing much about tvs, dongles human boxes etc never even came across one. If you want to watch tv from anywhere why not use apps etc from your telephone, iPad/android device and cast to your tv?
As for recording I have no idea.

I’m sure this works well for some users in some circumstances but I’m afraid my experience is that I am not one - the result has pretty much always fallen into the “decidedly unsatisfactory” category.

I also suspect that a Robert’s TV can’t have anything cast to it under any circumstances at all.

We bought the Schneider TV because A. It had the best picture quality, and B. It has a set of old fashioned connectors that accommodate the little box that sends the sound direct to Mme’s hearing aids by means of Bluetooth.
Whether it can have anything “cast to it” I have no idea, but I certainly don’t want anything cast AT it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Just the other day I discovered an unused Roberts, solar powered DAB radio in a cupboard and tried unsuccessfully to get it working. Turns out DAB is now defunct (already) and has been superseded by DAB+. The FM part still works but I suppose that will be binned soon.

Just checked, Switzerland , as an example, will stop FM this year.

1 Like

Presumably that would render my car radio completely redundant !!

I have made a note to try harder to locate the 8CD auto player that is supposed to be in the boot.