Settled status

Apparently the app, indeed the whole process, is having teething problems which the HO are not being totally transparent about.

The Home Office is just not fit for purpose.
David Lamy MP had a pop at the Home Secretary today about deporting more ‘Windrush’ evacuees today under the guise that they were ‘criminals’…

Depends on the purpose that you had in mind, I suppose :thinking:

Some were criminals and under the indefinate right to stay scheme they know that they are liable to be sent back if they commit criminal offences.The same as you could be if you commit criminal offences in France or many other countries. Why is this any different?

After the Windrush scandal surely an exception could have been made for the tiny number of people involved, many of those being deported have no connections with Jamaica etc and will leave behind children who are British, sledgehammer to crack a very small nut IMO.

3 Likes

Reviving an old topic…

At the same time Franc is considering 2nd home owners to have extended visa rights, the UK is deporting EU citizens because of issues with settled status, mostly of the Home Office’s own creation through incompetence.

Read this week’s blog post by Chris Grey and weep.

1 Like

My wife went for naturalisation due to our concern that it would go this way.

Considering “visa free entry” to France, which is rather different. There is no suggestion I have read of residential rights.

I know we have debated this already but it is a proposition that is now before the constitutional committee. Only if it gets past that will it seriously be considered.

And as for the UK, words fail me at the depths they have descended to.

Splitting the hair further we already have “visa free entry” for up to 90 days so what is being considered is extension or easy access to a tourist visa for up to 6 months, I guess it has to include the right to reside in France for that period to be any practical use. Anyway - I’ve edited my post to be, I hope, a little more accurate.

However the point remains that at least some EU nations are trying to make life easier for Brits in the post Brexit world at precisely the same time that we seem to be making life harder for EU citizens in the UK.

1 Like