Sewing machine advice required

I'd like to get my daughter a sewing machine and as a complete novice, thought I would ask you lovely people for your advice...

Would something like this be any good?

Equally if anyone has one for sale and is not a million miles away, I would be interested.

Thanks!

HI I HAVE A SEWING MACHINE I CD SELL FOR A V REASONABLE, LIKE AROUND 60E.IT IS IN LIKE NEW CONDITION. I AM NOT A VERY GOOD SEAMSTRESS AND AM NOW DISABLED SO DON'T SO NEVER SEW. IT IS A SEARS KENMORE, V RELIABLE.

IT IS SIMPLE, BASIC, AND SOLID, WITHOUT BELLS AND WHISTLES, AS THE OTHERS RECOMMEND. HOWEVER, YOU WD NEED TO USE IT WITH A CURRENT TRANSFORMER (EASY FOR THINGS THAT DON'T HEAT UP, SUCH AS MY TOP OF THE LINE PROF. KITCHENAID MIXER, YOU WD ALSO HAVE TO PICK IT UP FROM ME NOT FAR FROM PARIS AREA/ST GERMAIN EN LAYE

IF ANYONE ELSE IS INTERESTED LET ME KNOW. LISA

Hi Catherine,

I wonder if you've already made your purchase. I say (as a professional seamstress) that if the guarnatee and repair shop are easy to access, Elna is a good brand, but I'd also google that particular model with the word "consumer forum" before or after.

I believe strongly in older, metal, simple machines. There is less to break, less that is breakable and they are less finicky.

Sew On!

I would definitely go for a known make and a good refurb rather than a new 'fun' lightweight one. Mine is a Singer and I love it to bits - my first anniversary present from OH and on which I have spent many happy hours. On a related note, always buy the best quality cotton you can get. Cheap stuff knots and breaks. Go for a good mercerised thread. Sewing is such fun and so rewarding. Always wished I had had a daughter so we could have sewn together...

Frankly I would always go with a good older machine than a new light one so I personaly wouldn't pick that branded machine , your £99 would be better spent on a 2nd hand serviced machine from a good sewing machine shop. Just my opnion.

If you would like a comprehensive answer to that eternal question try here. There are 2 useful links at the bottom of that page.

It's the page of an online friend of mine who is a super sewer and also does fabulous machine embroidery.

http://ickes.us/WhatSewingMachineShouldIBuy.aspx

Lidl have them when they do a sewing/craft promo. They are under 100€ and I'm sure would be fine for a beginner. They also do sets of threads etc. which, although are not top quality, are fine for starting to sew. Also you could check our Le Bon Coin website for secondhand, or vide grenier's.

I agree with Jean, Catharine. Elna have been going for over 70 years, and although I've heard the name, Singer would be my preferred choice, but it does look like a good basic machine...

Catherine - it looks like a good basic machine and Elna is a well established brand. Not sure whether your have a Singer shop in your area - we have a chap who does the markets here - selling Singer machines - and I think he also can supply re-furbished second-hand machines. Maybe worth checking it out for your region.

I'm no expert Catharine, but it looks like a good basic machine, not complicated, easy to operate.

I don't now the 'make' well so hopefully others will give you a better idea.