Shared Lane Maintenance

Hummm who can determine whether «minor» or not :thinking:
What could be seen as minor to one person could be regarded as catastrophic and highly significant to someone else… and I can see in the context of an apartment block could be regarded as extremely important. Still, it’s the stuff lawyers’ fees are made from :wink:

You are splitting hairs. The point is that, just like in the UK, developing bad neighbours could have a knock-on effect on your house sale and the value. So it is to be avoided. (And for other reasons too)

Don’t be so soft David, it’s a bad neighbor to do what he has done, just brace yourself.
Get an official response to him, and know either way, this situation is untenable.
PS sorry to hear this.

David posted this Friday - so the apero should have been yesterday. I’m itching for an update!

I’m wondering the outcome too.

Frankly, when we arrived, locals thought all Brits were “made of money” and perhaps the neighbour in this instance… is similarly deluded.

In reality, had a neighbour presented us with such a bill… we could not have paid it and would have gone the route of finding out what our legal obligations were, with a view to taking out a loan if necessary.

I cannot see that lumbering oneself with a debt just to keep the neighbours happy… is the correct route to go.

Nor can I see querying that debt and clarifying the legalities… is wrong… even if it does risk “upsetting” these neighbours.

I truly do not see why anyone should feel the need to pay for friendship…

3 Likes

Wow, come on, spill the beans, how did the apero go (or are you still in hospital)?

TBH I would consider payment of half of the materials but not a penny more - what is the hourly rate he charged for his labour? Tell him you are happy to help out in future years but if, as you suggest, he is considerably enlarging his property then even a 50/50 split of materials sounds a bit over-generous.

There are ways, and ways, of saying no. One can stand firm and not inflame the situation, politely and crisply making it clear that it’s not on. My mother was a master at shutting down difficult conversations, and moving on. Not quite sure how she did it, but would somehow have a sweet but implacable expression as she gently explained that “x” was impossible.

I hope David achieved it!

I wouldn’t think David is intending to “inflame”… :wink: :wink:

Certainly, none of us have advised such action… :hugs:

Your Quote"I believe the chap is/was a builder by trade and that maybe why he appears to be charging so exorbitantly and by the hour!"

A simplistic view of a DIY’er who believes that doing the odd job that falls into a builder’s vast repertoire of skills makes him an expert and will never need the services of a professional builder.
There are dodgy builders just as there are dodgy car salesmen and dodgy estate agents but please do not assume that they are anymore than a tiny minority of such professionals. One bad apple doesn’t spoil the whole bunch.

My observation of your situation is that your neighbour sees you as a soft touch to help fund his project. Why did’nt he deliver the “facture” to your letterbox when the work was complete? Can you see any clear evidence that could possibly justify such a cost for work done to your shared lane. Do you have shared ownership along its total length or does the shared ownership stop after passing his property, assuming that your house is further along as your water supply hiccup suggests.
Look at your deeds and see what the arrangements are for the access, there must be mention of it.
Is his request for payment supported by his siret number for the appropriate professional, I very much doubt it.
Oh, and as others have posted, come on, spill the beans, what was the result of your drinks invitation with your greedy neighbour, did it all end in tears or has peace tranquility and nieghbourly love returned to your now not so leafy lane :grin:

1 Like

Okay time for a response although, unfortunately, not one that you’re expecting… Jackie and I walked down to our neighbour’s on Saturday lunchtime after much talk between ourselves beforehand. We had decided (after reading all the comments on here) that we must try and stay calm and talk through why we were not going to pay what they had demanded and to ask them to explain the reasons for such a large amount i.e. itemise each point on the facture. However when we arrived at their home, expecting just them and their English speaking son, we were introduced to their whole family that had travelled from the fours corners of France to be there - from grandparents to grandchildren with seven sibling children in between - as Jackie put it, it was was like meeting the Von Trapp family!!
We quickly decided that this occasion was not the right time to bring up our dispute as we settled in for savoury cakes, nibbles, a ‘herisson’ made from cocktail sticks, cheese and sausages etc. and a few glasses of champagne and Cointreau punch. We stayed for an hour or so and had a good time, the family were all very nice including the parents and, of course because of this, it has made our situation even more difficult to tackle.
So the bilingual son has now returned to Paris, the grandparents are staying for another week before heading back to Normandie and the others will filter away in the meantime so we think we might reciprocate the apero afterwards and bring up the matter then albeit with our poor French… so stay tuned for episode 2!

David.

9 Likes

Maybe you will never hear anything about the big bill again? Inviting you to meet their family sounds like they want to be on good terms so perhaps have also reflected on the situation. Next time hopefully you will just be asked to contribute to cost of gravel…:crossed_fingers:t3:

Certainly sounds as though it was not the right opportunity to discuss it.

2 Likes

It is such an unknown quantity… as Jane says… the subject might never be raised…

could you have misunderstood what was said when the invoice was given to you
(unless of course the invoice has been issued in your name…)

Whatever, by simply ignoring it now is useful…
This leaves the way open… in the future (if necessary)…
for you to laugh incredulously and explain that you didn’t pay as you thought it must be a big joke… since the neighbour had done the work off his own bat … :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My wife see’s nothing but good in people but I am much more sceptical. I agree that the time wasn’t right to bring up the subject and your neighbour’s would probably have brushed the notion aside saying another time if you had.
Now they have the upper hand while it is eating away at you.
Take the bull by the horns and get it sorted. Call on them and thrash it out so that you can move forward and enjoy your stay here.

Has anybody in this thread mentioned that there is an obligation to maintain aspects of your property - eg. ditches and branches - if they affect public roads?
If you let your tree branches etc overhang the road the Mairie will write to you giving a set date by which to cut them back, or they will do it and send you the bill.
Worth mentioning I thought as there might have been constraints on the neighbours we’re not aware of, especially if they had no means of contact in advance.

I’ve already mentioned somewhere… that if something needs doing… the Mairie will write/contact… make all sorts of efforts… to ensure that landowners are aware of their responsibilities. Only after exhaustive efforts, will work be undertaken without the landowner’s consent… and they will be liable for the bill…

The sharing of a chemin works similarly… responsibility shared by those who own/use it and negotiations undertaken between the parties involved.

The previous owners do not live far away… and the new owners could have discussed with them what had happened in the past… past shared works… etc

I think it’s very decent of the new owner to bring the chemin up to a good standard… very generous on his part…

I’d give him some of my homemade stuff… as a prize/thankyou… :hugs: :hugs:

Assuming that the chemin belongs to the commune then I agree, but if not I would say things are different.
Who owns the land on each side of the chemin/private lane, are they responsible to keep the lane free of obstruction?
There seems to be alot of unknowns to this story and only one side of the disagreement currently known.

The OP has told us how he and the previous neighbour worked things out, amicably, without money changing hands…

He has also said that the previous neighbour was aghast at the sum… did this mean, he thought the bill might be less… and did, in fact, know something about the intentions/actions of the newcomer… who knows. We can chew this whole thing, over and over.

No matter what is written… (unless it gives carte blanche to either party) … there should be discussion and agreement on what needs doing/will be done… and how stuff will be paid for…

I agree… it is is difficult when one only hears from one party… and not the other…
but I can’t see why the anyone would be saying stuff which is not, in fact, true as far as they are aware.

I think the moral of the story is a gentleman’s agreement is ok until it isn’t.
The OP surely knows what was written in the deeds at the time of purchase?
Unwritten “that’s how we have always done things” doesn’t matter a jot when things get sticky.
I still say get it sorted out sooner rather than later as the situation will simply fester. Life’s too short .

2 Likes

I agree with @JohnBoy
Get the matter regularised at the first opportunity and in writing signed by both parties…
Is it then possible to attach such a document to the registration of the land so it exists in legal terms for examination by any future interest in the land?

2 Likes