Shared Lane Maintenance

Or he finds himself summonsed for non-payment.
I would want to have this matter settled, so that |I know where I stood with regard to any future payments, especially if the other party is going to increase his property and there will be more traffic generated by him, therefore, more wear and teat on the chemin.

1 Like

I was the second person to post a replyā€¦ and I suggested the OP check his Deeds to see what (if anything) was written thereinā€¦

If it IS writtenā€¦ so let it be ā€¦
if itā€™s NOT writtenā€¦ then it is as per the advice from the Mairieā€¦ and how the OP handles things will be up to himā€¦

We will all have different ideas about these neighbourly mattersā€¦
Just as we all have different ideas about virtually everythingā€¦ :upside_down_face: :wink: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I now plan to check my deeds after reading some of the comments above but, alas, they may be lost in translation due to them being written in French!
Our neighbour has not pushed this matter since we were first given his demand and this may in part be due to his visiting family but we are definitely going to resolve the issue once his family have all left and we can talk without distraction albeit through an interpreter perhaps. I do appreciate everyoneā€™s comments and I realise that my question seems to have quite stirred up some emotions including my own.

Thanks, David.

4 Likes

David, as others have said, this cannot be legal.
In France, if a significant amount of work is necessary (or in our case, a chat between neighbours to agree if they can clear ditches etc) a quote ā€“ devis in French ā€“ is required.
This probably (Iā€™m not sure on this) should be an official document with names and addresses of provider and potential client.
Yes. client.
Youā€™re usually given a certain period of time to ponder it and sign, after which it becomes null and void and they can charge higher if they wish.

Without this, I donā€™t think he has a leg to stand on, as Stella has repeated a few times.
Adopt the French shrug with a smile and pour them another glass.
All the best!

1 Like

and another one if that doesnā€™t work hic :upside_down_face: :tropical_drink:
In fact. just keep pouring until youā€™ve exhausted the 3,200ā‚¬ā€™s worth :grin:

As long as you have this bill your neighbour has given you, he is in the position of expecting to be paid until you establish otherwise. All the jollies in the world wonā€™t make that go away.

I would not rely on the English speaking son to be even-handed if called upon to help with language.

I would not use lack of money as a reason not to pay. Itā€™s not relevant and anyway, he might offer you an instalment plan.

The nub of it, as has been said, is that there was no consultation or discussion of who did what and for how much. The split in benefit from the access to your respective properties must be accounted for now and in the future.

This is clearly a case of the guy trying it on. You must hold your nerve, be firm but amicable. Try not to make the guy feel like a scamster [thoā€™ it looks that way] or a fool. Negotiations like this need to leave room for one or both parties to make an orderly retreat without humiliation. Relations between you may turn sour, despite your best effort. People can be like that.

1 Like

Has your neighbour carried the work out as a professional or as a private individual? If as a professional then there is no way he is entitled to do this without giving you a devis which you agree to. If itā€™s private work then he is likely working on the black - without paying taxes, insurances, cotisations etc - in which case itā€™s not legal for you to pay him.
In either case his bill is wrong because he cannot pay himself for his own labour.
If it were me I would just express bewilderment, say Iā€™ve never heard of anyone issuing an invoice without first issuing a devis and Iā€™m going to ask the mayor for advice, which might give him sufficient incentive to change his mind. The mayor has a role in helping to resolve neighbour issues anyway.

1 Like

Unless he is a friend of the other party, which is not unknown in small communes.

1 Like

Yes maires get leaned on by friends and relatives, but I wouldnā€™t assume that they put that above theor duty to be fair to all residents. We live in a very small community and the maire sorted out a potential access problem between us and our neighbour, despite the fact that that the neighbour is his cousin, his friend, a fellow farmer and president of the local chasse!

EnvoyĆ© depuis lā€™application Mail Orange

2 Likes

Please donā€™t mention Orange to me, we have not had our ligne fixe since the 15th december along with fourteen other users.
We have been promised that we will be re-connected by the end of July, but we are not holding our breath.

Another example of signatures / information being lifted when people replying from email.

Any update on this histoire?? Iā€™m nosey!

2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™ve heard that somewhere on here before :grin: but no update yet, weā€™re biding our time a little although Iā€™m sure it will come to a head soonā€¦ Iā€™ll keep you posted :+1:

1 Like