Should I apply for French Nationality? Leaving France...A bit of a loss

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading some of the posts on SF from time and appreciate the input people are giving on various issues. I have now a mini-dilemma and would love some input from people who may understand my situation, if you would be so kind.

A quick introduction:
I moved to France in my 20s from England and am now in my early 30s. Having worked on my French for a few months I started working and ended up staying to the present day. I got 4/5 years of employment full time - paid taxes - got a carte vitale etc etc. (been in the south of France for 6+ years now).

With my girlfriend, (who is both French & English herself thanks to parentage) we are planning to move abroad to live in Canada if possible, have a bit more life experience for a while, perhaps returning to England after a while, which I sometimes miss. My thoughts for gaining French nationality started since Brexit all kicked off and the fear of losing the right to live/work in the EU.

With the Brexit changes applying through the next year, if I move away for a couple of years and then have a change of heart, or wish to move to Spain (something always in the back of my mind) I will have no options for Visas as I am not in a profession that is generally on the wanted lists and now am too old for working holiday visas.

So… I was looking into applying for French nationality to have dual nationality (British & French) and thus retaining freedom of movement for life (I hope to have quite a bit left of it to spend). I currently have no paperwork as far as carte de sejour as it wasn’t required.

Despite my generally good cultural knowledge and spoken french, I don’t feel French in any patriotic sense and really just want to give myself the opportunities for the future.

I have completed the necessary language certification (level C1). I understand the application process can take 2 years - but if I leave the country surely I suppose I won’t be able to attend the necessary interviews etc. Also, I quit my job a year ago and started training for a new career - paid for by the state and technically I am a “demandeur d’emploi” - which I understand can negatively effect the decision.

Sorry for the wall of text but I feel like this next step may be a big one in my life and I don’t want to make a misstep.

Before I go through the more arduous task of requesting translated birth certificates and criminal checks at a cost -
Would I even have a chance at getting French nationality?

Thank you

Hi. Applying for and getting a French nationality would certainly offer you more choices in the future but whether to do so or not has to be your choice. Applications are considered on an individual basis and as you say can take over two years to go through. From what I’ve read you would not do yourself any favours if you applied then moved overseas before the decision has been made. If I was in your shoes I would apply for the nationalisation but put off plans to move to Canada until you know the outcome.
I believe that if you apply for a TdS as a British citizen when the internet site opens in July, once you receive your card you are able to leave France for two years before it becomes invalid.

Hi Lorenzo, from what you say, no:
You need to be in permanant employment (or retired with sufficient income), have lived in France for over 5 years as you have and have the language ability (again no problem). You need to demonstrate your integration and knowledge of France. The process takes 2 years min. but more like 3 years for many (I started getting everything together in sept 2017, interview may 2018, dossier left the préfecture in Sept 2019 and I should get the final decision this spring but nothing’s being processed due to the corona virus). You can leave France for holidays or short periods while the dossier is being processed but if you leave to live in another country then you’re back to zero and need to move back, get 5 years residency again , all of which would be far more difficult as you’d no longer have the right to do so after Brexit…!
Hope that helps even if I don’t think it’s what you were hoping to hear!

More info here

1 Like

It sounds as if your main motivation for wanting French nationality is for future freedom of movement around Europe? Despite Brexit people will move countries, they did before the EU came in and people will do so again. It will just be more complicated, and possibly require meeting higher thresholds, but you will still be able to do it. And you always have the option of marrying your girlfriend instead… so it does seem a big step to take.

No doubt you will put a positive spin on any application you make, but from what you say I would not rate your chances. Not having a job will be a big issue, and your overall integration will be tested. The
interview is I believe mandatory and you don’t necessarily get a lot of notice of it. So if you are serious about wanting to be at least European, then leaving the country won’t help you achieve that goal.

Here’s a link to an article about refusals, showing that the majority of applications are refused. Ok it’s a couple of years old but the situation won’t have changed hugely. And in your situation this sentence is quite important “L’absence de contrat à durée indéterminée compterait pour près de 40% des refus.”

(http://www.liberation.fr/depeches/2012/10/18/valls-veut-redresser-la-courbe--du-nombre-des-naturalisations_854105)

David, Andrew, Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I appreciate some outside perspective and although I would love to be able to still live in a pre-Brexit world - it shouldn’t change how we live our lives. With that said, France has been a big part of my life (half my adult life almost) but I don’t think i’ll stay for years just for a passport. I think I would be highly likely to be part of those rejected applications anyway ! If I really want to come back I will have to work a bit harder to find a way. But time for new horizons. Even if i’ll miss la fourme d’ambert

I needed to hear these reasons to justify it to myself I think
En tous cas, je vous remercie - ça m’a soulagé un peu :slight_smile:

Bonne soirée everyone
Cheers

1 Like

I’ve always thought that your primary motivation of gaining a new nationality should be because of your love for that country.

3 Likes

@lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo and welcome to the forum

Please could you amend your Registration to show your full name as per our Terms and Conditions. First Name… Last Name…

If you are unsure how to do this, simply put your full name here on this thread… and I will amend it for you…

cheers

Quite, Timothy, and you need to demonstrate that in the hour and a half interview, but I think Lorenzo has answered his own question/already knows the answer to the question he’s posing :wink:

Andrew, Indeed I quickly got the reaffirmation that helped me doubts :slight_smile: thanks

Timothy, I may have thought that too once upon a time. Now I just consider it a bit of paper that tells you which bit of grass you’re allowed to sit on - But I don’t make the rules and will be happy to still have my British one !

Hello Stella ,

Thank you - noted and changed :slight_smile:

Hi there::: just to be clear…

is your First Name = Larry???
is your Last Name = Stan ???

:relaxed: :relaxed:

1 Like

Yes indeed :slight_smile:

1 Like