SI - does it affect UK pension rights?

I live mostly in France at the moment and have done for several years and am considering trying to get into the French social security system. To do this, apparently, I need to get an S1 form from the UK pensions people. I would like to know whether this will affect my UK state pension. I don’t know what the future holds (does anybody?) and might return to UK one day or move on to another country. Any advice or information would be useful, especially from people who have made this change. Thank you. David

You basically asked the same question back in 2019 and @JaneJones gave you advice on what to do. Did you register for tax in France and get the CdS as Jane discussed with you ? If not, then you are in a tricky position as you will be living in France illegally. If that is so, then I’m not sure what you should do, and trying to get an S1 under those circumstances will probably not be possible. If you did do those things, then you’re fine and can and should apply for an S1 as it should not affect any UK pension you may be receiving. As you say you were 73 in 2019, you could have done this as soon as you became a French resident.

Thank you. Yes, I am paying my taxes in France. Do you know how and where I apply for an S1 and what I need to tell them?

|
hairbear

21 November

|

• | - |

You basically asked the same question back in 2019 and @JaneJones gave you advice on what to do. Did you register for tax in France and get the CdS as Jane discussed with you ? If not, then you are in a tricky position as you will be living in France illegally. If that is so, then I’m not sure what you should do, and trying to get an S1 under those circumstances will probably not be possible. If you did do those things, then you’re fine and can and should apply for an S1 as it should not affect any UK pension you may be receiving. As you say you were 73 in 2019, you could have done this as soon as you became a French resident.

Obtaining an ‘S1’ from the UK Health Care & Carte Vitale

I have had a house in France for many years. I’ve gradually increased the amount of time I’m here so that now I’m here most of the time. I am enquiring about getting an S1 and have spoken to the UK DWP Overseas Team who have told me what I need to tell them. This includes the date at which I became resident abroad, which is rather moot. What I want to know is what I may lose on the UK side when I register in France. At present I pay income tax in UK as my income is in UK - will that change? What will be my rights to healthcare in UK once I am registered in France? etc. Will my official moving date affect my ability to apply for a Carte de Sejour in France? It is all rather confusing.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Dr Dharmavidya David Brazier

dharmavidya@fastmail.fm

Global Sangha at Eleusis

Les Arts de l’Esprit

https://eleusis.ning.com/

New Books published:

The Oxford Handbook of Meditation

It Is As It Is (Art & poetry)

The Dark Side of the Mirror: Forgetting the self in Dogen’s Genjo Koan

Gentili Parole di Saggezza (Italian)

Latest:

Terapi Zen (Zen Therapy translation in Turkish)

What is your current status here in France?

If you are not a European national (eg Irish passport) do you have a valid resident permit? Have you declared your income tax here and since when? Your State Pension should be being taxed in France if you are legally resident.

How is your healthcare currently covered, ie do you have private health insurance?

Basically if your papers are not in order as a French resident you could be opening up a much bigger can of worms!

To be eligible to join the French healthcare system - with an S1 or without - you must be a stable and legal resident of France. Which means having a resident permit if this is required for your nationality, paying taxes, and showing that when you arrived in France you did have health cover.

If all that is in order then you just ask DWP for an S1 and then apply to CPAM. If you are not currently in the health system they will ask for proof that you are a legal resident.

EDIT - just seen you are a tax payer here so presumably have resident permit etc. Then contact DWP
Telephone: [0191 218 1999](tel:0191 218 1999)
Telephone from outside the UK: [+44 191 218 1999](tel:+44 191 218 1999)
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

They will need NI number, dates of when you formally stopped being UK resident, last address in UK, current address etc etc

Of course this is not the only way to enter the French SS system. There are several routes, andyou have to follow the correct route for your set of circumstances.
If you are living legally in France, in receipt of a UK pension and no entitlement to a French pension, then an S1 would be the correct route for you.
Assuming you are a UK passport holder then resumably you have had private health insurance in France up to now because it is very unlikely that you would have been able to obtain / renew a residence permit without showing proof of healthcare.

Why did you not join the sécu system as soon as you moved to France? You seem to be making this far more complicated for yourself than need be. Moving countries is nota problem as long as you do it properly and make a clean break with the country you are leaving. It is making half a move and trying to keep your finger in two pies, so that you end up not fully complying with any one country’s rules, that makes things confusing and can land you in a mess…

Thank you for the advice. Please scroll down - I have attempted to answer your questions.

|
Sandcastle

21 November

|

• | - |

Obaron:

I live mostly in France at the moment and have done for several years and am considering trying to get into the French social security system. To do this, apparently, I need to get an S1 form from the UK pensions people.

Of course this is not the only way to enter the French SS system. There are several routes, andyou have to follow the correct route for your set of circumstances.

If you are living legally in France, in receipt of a UK pension and no entitlement to a French pension, then an S1 would be the correct route for you.

Assuming you are a UK passport holder then resumably you have had private health insurance in France up to now because it is very unlikely that you would have been able to obtain / renew a residence permit without showing proof of healthcare.

1/ I have a residence card but was not asked about private health insurance.

2/ I am resident in France at the moment, but am not sure for how long.

3/ When I tried to get an S1 before I had to phone two different UK government departments, got diametrically opposite advice from each, and formed the impression that going ahead might ffect my pension entitlement.

Why did you not join the sécu system as soon as you moved to France?

4/ See above, plus, it did not seem to be necessary.

You seem to be making this far more complicated for yourself than need be. Moving countries is nota problem as long as you do it properly and make a clean break with the country you are leaving. It is making half a move and trying to keep your finger in two pies,

5/ I do have a finger in two pies because all of my income is in UK & I have property there.

so that you end up not fully complying with any one country’s rules, that makes things confusing and can land you in a mess…

dharmavidya@fastmail.fm

Global Sangha at Eleusis

Les Arts de l’Esprit

New Books published:

Latest:

The obvious question is how old are you (or more accurately are you in receipt of a state pension).

If you are claiming your UK pension then it should be straightforward.

If your not of pensionable age do you have a job in the UK - and is it PAYE and involves regular returns to the UK. Again follow the advice and it should be straightforward.

If not you aren’t entitled to an S1 - but equally it doesn’t matter with regards entering the health system. I don’t have an S1 and I’m in the French system. As long as you are here legally - you are entitled to join the system.

I’m 76 & get a UK pension plus occupational pension in UK.

|
chrisell

25 November

|

• | - |

The obvious question is how old are you (or more accurately are you in receipt of a state pension).

If you are claiming your UK pension then it should be straightforward.

If your not of pensionable age do you have a job in the UK - and is it PAYE and involves regular returns to the UK. Again follow the advice and it should be straightforward.

If not you aren’t entitled to an S1 - but equally it doesn’t matter with regards entering the health system. I don’t have an S1 and I’m in the French system. As long as you are here legally - you are entitled to join the system.

dharmavidya@fastmail.fm

Global Sangha at Eleusis

Les Arts de l’Esprit

New Books published:

Latest:

Don’t know the answer, but thats one hell of a signature. Have you published some books?

Which is the situation for many British in France, this is extremely common and not complex as rules post-Brexit are clear.

I think you have perhaps overthought this

A few. Are you a reader?

|
Mark Regular

25 November

|

• | - |

Don’t know the answer, but thats one hell of a signature. Have you published some books?

In Reply To

|
Obaron

25 November

|

• | - |

I’m 76 & get a UK pension plus occupational pension in UK. [chrisell] | chrisell 25 November | | - | The obvious question is how old are you (or more accurately are you in receipt of a state pension). If you are claiming your UK pension then it should be straightforward. If your not of…

dharmavidya@fastmail.fm

Global Sangha at Eleusis

Les Arts de l’Esprit

New Books published:

Latest: